• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

TX200: Finally shooting to my expectations

I’m the original owner of this rifle and it has several thousand pellets through it.

It has the Vortek seal, Vortek PG3 steel tuning kit set at the lowest power and the only lube I used is the Krytox GPL 205 Grease.

The trigger has not been modified at all and breaks at a crisp 13oz.

I did have to order a new trigger shoe from England as the original one was worn out and not functioning properly. It was a pain to diagnose the issue and I had to use a dremel on the trigger shoe to be able to install it).

Now the gun is shooting like a dream. I do think it’s a little loud, but other than that I’m very happy.

I think the biggest that improved on the accuracy and consistency was using only Krytox grease instead of a combination of Ballistol and Crosman silicon chamber oil on the seal.

Distance 23Y indoor.

The middle of the rifle was rested on a Caldwell bag (no rear sand bag was used).

All five shot groups (except the last group that is 10 shots)

The shot sequence is indicated on the target.

I started with a clean barrel, shot 10 pellets to chrono, then started shooting the target.

At shot sequence 11 I noticed the group is opening up. After shot sequence 13, I retorqued the gun (nothing was loose though), and that’s how the POI shifted slightly to the right.

I finished shooting the target with 10 shot group on sequence 20.

My only problem is that I wanted to buy another springer and now I feel I’ll be disappointed by any other factory gun.

Also keep in mind that I’m by no means an experienced air gun shooter and this is my only quality springer. I say that because some of you might not be happy with the groups I’m getting and I also wanted to high light that I don’t have any other reference point to compare my results with. But I do think that I could improve these groups by working a little more on my shooting technique.

Reactions: JamesD.
With only a 2 fps spread, Not sure s professional tune would gain you anything...After taking an almost ten year vacation, I recently got back into spring gun shooting. Picked up a like new TX200 mk III, just took it apart and did a little polishing, polished both spring ends, dampening compound on the spring ( I know...old school stuff) and lubed the seal and molly in comp tube. Trigger is great. Mine is running 925 fps with CP 7.9 pellets. Used to compete with a MK II but could not find another one so went with the MKIII. My 35 yd zero is holding a 1/2 - 5/8" groups on a good day. Not complaining at my age.

Sounds like the spring is failing, we ask these springs to do more than any spring was designed to do, the stress on them is unbelievable so it can be a search to find one that will last a long time. One thing I always did to my springs was to smooth and polush the spring ends. Contrary to many beliefs these springs have to rotate as they are cocked and fired, any hangup from a rough edge will remove the "set" in the spring and shorten its life. I most always have gotten longer life from a spring with smooth polished ends. Cant say that is your problem, but it sounds like your spring is failing or the seal might be bad. In the old days a number of the ends of the compression tubes were prone to comming unscrewed and causing a loss of power. Next time you have it apart check the compression tube to be sure it is screwed on tight then check you seal and spring. Hipe this might help.

Keep an eye on your velocity like you are doing. I like the way Vortek kits shoot as they shoot well right away. I do find their springs don’t last long and die all the sudden. I always buy multiple Vortek springs because of this so when it happens I have a spring on hand to swap out. It could be your spring is just settling in. Sub 12fpe is where you want to be with a TX200 (or any spring rifle) so don’t worry about it. You will be able to shoot more accurately below 12fpe.

The velocity dropped to 736 FSP with the JSB 8.44

I also noticed some grinding sound when cocking the rifle. I took out the kit and the spring is bent a little . I'm done with the Vortek kit. I reinstalled the factory parts and the power/twang are both back. I also put an order for a TBT tuning kit just to try it out (the basic model that uses the factory spring).

I'll be interested to see how much accuracy I gain/lose with the factory parts vs Vortek vs TBT.