I just killed two rats in the night with my Benjamin Kartos. It so accurate airgun.

thumbnail_IMG_0114.1624593672.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0115.1624593685.jpg

I recently purchased a Gamo 6110017154 .177 Cal Varmint Air Rifle. I'm using Gamo LETHAL .177CAL 5.56gr pellets. I've now hit 2 rats with it, and in both cases the shot was non-lethal... the rats screamed, got knocked backwards, then ran off. What am I doing wrong?! I want to take them out, not be cruel and just hurt them. Is there a certain distance required for the pellet to reach terminal velocity? In both cases they were in my garden about 15ft away.

@skydivingmiami thanks for the message. The forum says I haven't made enough posts to reply to messages... :/

This Gamo is specifically for varmints and it shoots 1200 FPS. I'm taking them at their word I have no way to measure this. Okay so I need a pellet twice as heavy? Why would stupid Gamo label such a light pellet as being lethal? Are they trying to make it more confusing for the beginner? LOL. With that speed and a heavier 10gr pellet would a headshot still be required or is a clean body shot going to do the job?

Bill

Don't get hung up on velocity....accuracy is more important and most pellets are too unstable at those high speeds to give the accuracy you need

I use a Benjamin Fortitude in .177, it's not a powerful pcp by any means.

10.34 hades are my preferred pesting pellets are are devastating on small critters such as rats.

Thanks for the info. Yeah my pellets are 1/2 that weight. I'm quite accurate with this rifle, and like I've said they squeal and get knocked backwards. I'll try heavier pellets :)

@skydivingmiami thanks for the message. The forum says I haven't made enough posts to reply to messages... :/

This Gamo is specifically for varmints and it shoots 1200 FPS. I'm taking them at their word I have no way to measure this. Okay so I need a pellet twice as heavy? Why would stupid Gamo label such a light pellet as being lethal? Are they trying to make it more confusing for the beginner? LOL. With that speed and a heavier 10gr pellet would a headshot still be required or is a clean body shot going to do the job?

Bill

You should start your own thread instead of cluttering this one with your questions. Don't believe Gamo #s lol.