Two New Extra Strong Target Frames

Hello everyone,

I just completed building two new Target Frames for my 25-yard and 50-yard range. The “A-frame” is made out of 1" x 1/8" wall steel square tube and the backing plate is a 2-foot square by 1/8-inch thick steel plate. The main “Target” area is in the center of the steel plate and framed on three sides with 2 x 4 wood which will deflect any stray lead and still allow for any pellet material to fall to the ground. This wood framed opening will allow a layer of cardboard to be stapled in place and then the Paper Target taped on the front. I made two “J” shaped hangers and welded them at the top of the steel backing plate so I can easily remove the backing plate for portability and also bring them indoors out of the weather. I designed this so that the center of the Paper Targets will be 42-inches above ground level and with a bare minimum of required maintenance.

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

Target Frame One-100A.1650383524.jpg
Target Frame One-101A.1650383525.jpg
Target Frame One-102A.1650383525.jpg
Target Frame One-103.1650383525.jpg

Hello kayaker,

Actually I did think about that and that is why I located the bottom cross brace where it is. I will do a bit of design work for the Spinners over the next couple of days. I do have one of @davelarson steel targets with spinners and a set of the Crazy Eight spinners on another of my roll around targets.( see attached photo )

ThomasT

Penny Arcade-3.1650390188.jpg

Great job, ever have any splash back through the cardboard?

Hello Revin,

I shot 50-rounds at one of the targets this afternoon and not one piece of lead came back through the cardboard. Some very small fragments did hit the sides ( inside ) the 2x4 wood frame and on the ground just below the target were real small and very thin round pieces of lead. It appears that when the Pellet hits the steel plate, it splatters outward.

I like the fact that I can hear the "klank" sound when the Pellet hits the target.

Thank you and have a great day,

ThomasT

Great job , nicely thought out work 

Stan in KY

Hello Stan,

Thank you. I am really pleased with how this target is working. As you can see in the photo only a small piece of the pellet survives the impact the rest disintegrates and splatters outwards. The wood frame is doing the job I was hoping for and so far no splatter in hitting the back side of the cardboard. With the Paper Target on the outside of the cardboard, the shot pellet is leaving a clean hole in the Paper Target for better scoring.

ThomasT

Target Frame One-105.1650465044.jpg

Very nice, clean. You can put a row of spinners below the bottom brace. And a few above the brace and below your target. 
FF321CE0-C250-4E66-B031-BF44D6A77362.1650463466.jpeg
D6350509-73C6-491E-8986-4DA65125DE48.1650463468.jpeg
 1/4 in. rod with pipe for spacers. I think I might adopt your idea for my range. Thanks for sharing. Crow

Hello Crow,

Thank you. I do not have enough room below the crossbar but I do have plenty above and I am working on getting my design completed. I will use stainless round rod so no problem with any rust and with a bit of oil, the spinners should spin like crazy. I love shooting spinners :)

ThomasT