• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Two more tree rats have fallen to Ol' Smaug today

First was a nice headshot and fancy-dance. In behind the right ear, and out below the left eye.

For the second, I could not resist a shot to the boiler room. Once again, it was the perfect amount of power. Right through the sternum, organs, spine, and skin on the far side of the animal, but not a pass-through.

I can't recommend Crow Magnums highly enough, so far. Out of my stock Marauder, they're shooting @ 940 fps from the muzzle for 17.3 FPE, and with an SD of 2. They're not very aerodynamic, so they're short-medium range only. (~14 FPE @ my 10 yards, and 8 FPE @ 40 yards) But when shot at this power level, they expand to .25 caliber right away, then dump all their energy immediately. When they DO pass through, there's not much juice left in them to damage something downrange.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9P1JIPuT3g#

Slo-mo shots:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJu13bIq0pc#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kObEOw6TXMY#

"Deja"Sorry for the highjack but, whats up with the hate towards squirrels? They never really bothered me and they are like protected here in finland. atleast the flying kind.

Just a suitable target? Now sea gulls on the other hand.....
We don't have flying squirrels here, (USA) just tree and ground types.

They are troublemakers here, when they get too comfortable around people. In the wild, they are small game, legal or hunting.

Around homes, they sooner or later cause troubles. They tear up bird feeders, get into the trash and spread it all around, sometimes chew through the trash cans to get at the contents, chew the insulation off of electrical wires, and chew into our attics. Basically, they do a lot of things that rats do that make rats pests.

For my part, I have bird feeders, trying to attract native songbirds, and they have broken the blue one. Pulled off the perch caps, pulled out the perches, and pulled off the ports that stop all the seed from falling out. I managed to repair it with rubber bands to hold the perches in. For my second feeder, which you might be able to see in these videos, I got a squirrel-proof one, where the feeding ports close under the weight of the squirrel (but not under the weight of small birds)

Seagulls can be pests too, especially when nowhere near the water. They get into garbage, eat smaller birds, poop all over everything.

"Deja"Sorry for the highjack but, whats up with the hate towards squirrels? They never really bothered me and they are like protected here in finland. atleast the flying kind.

Just a suitable target? Now sea gulls on the other hand.....
We eat them.

Most squirrel species in the USA are considered game animals by our fish and game departments. Some are no doubt protected in various states. They are also considered pests when they become overpopulated in populated areas and we are allowed to eliminate pests.

Deja, you obviously never had them in your attic (scurrying around all times of night), chew burrows in your siding, and just destroy your home season by season. I didn't mind them either since they added a nice fixture to the many nicely grown trees that line my property. It wasn't until I started to notice the damage they caused (high access points on my home that you'd never really notice because, well, they're high up). Shooing them is a joke second to those "humane" traps. So, in terms of pest control, air gunning them is the most viable solution for some of us. Beside, my Rotties love them...no waste here.

Not only do they cause a fair amount of trouble, but they also make quite tasty table fare when properly prepped. I eat every squirrel I shoot. 
- Slight correction, Smaug, but we do have flying squirrels in the states. Not sure how many states, but I know we have them here in Texas. 
Just one other thing... "Tree rats" doesn't sound very appetizing. I like to refer to squirrels as "limb chicken"... ;-)

"Pestassassn"Not only do they cause a fair amount of trouble, but they also make quite tasty table fare when properly prepped. I eat every squirrel I shoot. 
- Slight correction, Smaug, but we do have flying squirrels in the states. Not sure how many states, but I know we have them here in Texas. 
Just one other thing... "Tree rats" doesn't sound very appetizing. I like to refer to squirrels as "limb chicken"... ;-)
Good points. I researched it further, and there are TWO species of flying squirrels in the US. I've just never seen one.

"Properly prepped" is the key. I sometimes eat them after just pan frying them, but they're tough. They might get a little better now that they're starting to have some fat on them. (at least up north here)

"fr8rbum747"The squirrels moved into one of my Grand Cherokees. Ate the wiring harness right out of the engine compartment. $2500.00 to replace front harness, Starter and Battery...
They are on my most wanted list. Just found my F-350 rear bumper chewed all to heck as well...War is on.
Sounds like you need to bait them away from your vehicles! A big back of black oil sunflower seeds at Home Depot is reasonably priced, compared to a $2500 wiring harness. Cracked corn is more expensive, but they LOVE it. Then, pop them as they show up. I've GOT to believe they'll like the seeds and grain better than plastic and wire insulation.