• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

two GS down ... Taipan VL.25 ... SUNNY DAY ...

GS ONE (not a federal pay grade)
The first GS down was preceded by several GS on the move at 40 yards, not fast but still moving, and I couldn't 'lead' the shot, no sense in spooking the crowd for one crappy shot. I just kept glassing without 'glossing over' and examining too quickly, careful glassing.

GS 1 snuckked up on and was spying me glassing from a seated position on my shooting sticks. Click and a hit then a follow-up shot when he realized he wasn't quite dead. Coyote food.

GS TWO
At "The Wood Pile" which is 12' logs stacked two, three and four high for a 150 yards with a lot of habitat I was on the phone talking with my neighbor, fishing buddy and elk hunter Dude about binoculars. I see one brownish spot on top of log that wasn't there before... click and a hit to the head with a Predator Poly Mag at 30 yards and he fell off the log. The blood mess was SIGNIFICANT and he lay under about three layers of logs and there he shall remain.

If I shot all that I saw the total would be SEVEN. The routine is the same every time, walk up and spook 'em, sit down and wait for 15 to 30 minutes, start glassing carefully the minute you get there and they eventually get curious and find a half hidden position and stare at you. I pretend NOT to see them and slowly get the gun on the bi-pod.

The blue tape is my 'system' for remembering what zero I have. Two pieces of tape for each zero, simple. I shoot rats, occassionally, at 13 yards and then drop 25 clicks for my GS and dairy zero.

20210327_132729.1616935734.jpg

20210327_135905.1616935778.jpg

IMG_20210324_162640_01.1616935812.jpg

IMG_20210324_121956_01.1616935854.jpg

That looks like a great layout for some really long opportunities from 100 to 150 yards. I am wondering if the ground squirrels would react differently, if you were further away.

If you are far enough away on prairie dogs, they pretty much ignore you Until they blow up. That’s 300+ yards. But that’s also with a centerfire rifle...very loud. 

I am wondering if you kept your shots out past 100 yards, if the squirrels would just ignore you.

mike

That looks like a great layout for some really long opportunities from 100 to 150 yards. I am wondering if the ground squirrels would react differently, if you were further away.

If you are far enough away on prairie dogs, they pretty much ignore you Until they blow up. That’s 300+ yards. But that’s also with a centerfire rifle...very loud. 

I am wondering if you kept your shots out past 100 yards, if the squirrels would just ignore you.

mike

I drive up and wherever I see one just stop at about 40+ yards and wait. The longer shots are A BITCH because of wind there.

There are 200+ yard shots there with enough magnification but I really think even a Taipan .25 is limited to 70 yards and that's stretching it. Too much wind drift visible in POI even at 50 yards.

I want them to 'visit' me, up close.

Mr. JohnnyPDX

Very good write up, pictures, equipment used and marksmanship with your methodology. 

Sooo, let me get this right, are the fry's for you or the ground squirrels? Maybe I could convince my wife to drive to town,18 miles one way to pick me up some so I could improve my ground squirrel hunting. She is convinced I need to be institutionalized as it is, maybe I'll just let that go for now.

I have had a few squirrels fall down in-between logs and be lost. I try and feed the dead squirrels to the other animals around my place, I do make sure the pellets/slugs are pass threw. I got a trail cam and have seen some interesting things happen at night with night time predators getting a free meal.

I have a gopher problem in my small yard and occasionally have been able to shoot them with my pellet rifle, only trouble is my scope won't focus at the close range from my porch. I noticed you have a Bug Buster on the Taipan and are very successful at 40+ yards with it. Do you use the same scope on your close range illuminated rat shooting, the specs on the Bug Buster with side AO says 3 yards. If it is so, that would be just right for my gopher gun, a .22 Gamo Urban, only trouble the supplied rings are weaver/picatinny and the gamo is dovetail. I know that is only a minor detail, just buy the proper rings that fit the scope tube diameter, just not a lot of room on that scope.

Good luck with your pesting, be healthy and safe,

Arrowhead1951

Mr. JohnnyPDX

Very good write up, pictures, equipment used and marksmanship with your methodology. 

Sooo, let me get this right, are the fry's for you or the ground squirrels? Maybe I could convince my wife to drive to town,18 miles one way to pick me up some so I could improve my ground squirrel hunting. She is convinced I need to be institutionalized as it is, maybe I'll just let that go for now.

I have had a few squirrels fall down in-between logs and be lost. I try and feed the dead squirrels to the other animals around my place, I do make sure the pellets/slugs are pass threw. I got a trail cam and have seen some interesting things happen at night with night time predators getting a free meal.

I have a gopher problem in my small yard and occasionally have been able to shoot them with my pellet rifle, only trouble is my scope won't focus at the close range from my porch. I noticed you have a Bug Buster on the Taipan and are very successful at 40+ yards with it. Do you use the same scope on your close range illuminated rat shooting, the specs on the Bug Buster with side AO says 3 yards. If it is so, that would be just right for my gopher gun, a .22 Gamo Urban, only trouble the supplied rings are weaver/picatinny and the gamo is dovetail. I know that is only a minor detail, just buy the proper rings that fit the scope tube diameter, just not a lot of room on that scope.

Good luck with your pesting, be healthy and safe,

Arrowhead1951

The BugBuster is on the Taipan and Daisy 853, (Artemis pp700 too if I had another scope) great combo either way. The focus is to three yards and I shoot the led rat station at 13yards.

I find that most of the time GS hunting I am typically at 5 or 6x mag so why the hell do I need 16x and more scope weight, I don't.

I had to get dovetail to weaver but they were cheap and very good.