• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuxing being replaced by Altaros Booster unit.

In the end an Alkin or a Bauer will be cheaper with less problems than all these airgun compressors that are not really made to fill tanks. Take it from someone who has already been down this road. If you are going to buy a compressor or booster not designed to fill tanks on a daily basis limit it to filling the gun only unless you want to be a regular contributor to this column with questions on how to fix it.
I’ve been filling my tank for 6 years with my booster. The trick is to fill from 3500 back to 4500.

"The trick is to fill from 3500 back to 4500."
Exactly!
That's how I use my Shoebox (for 10 years), minimal time running to top off large tanks. Usually just over a half-hour to top off from ± 3,600 to 4,400PSI. I just run two fans on the cylinders, the computer fan that is integral and another blowing from the front with the cover off.
Plus, by not going to the 4,500PSI mark, it saves a lot of time and wear as well.
I can fix most of the issues and have many of the parts to do so (no, I'm not selling any parts, sorry). Shoeboxes are pretty easy/simple to work on.
mike

Glad yours is still running. It is all about the repair/replacement parts, or rather the lack there-of. I got in on the ground floor with Tom and the first generation of Shoeboxes and from there on I ran various generations of Shoeboxes until I had my 2nd big failure, first one was fixed by Tom, second time after Tom and parts were not available.

The Altaros Booster was the closest compressor to the Shoebox I could find.

Heat was always an issue with the Shoebox, not at all with the Altaros it actually runs cold. The Altaros also needs much fewer rebuilds and replacement parts. For the last couple years I ran my Shoebox in a air conditioned room, and had the cover off and fans running on all generations.

The portable disposable Chinese compressors don’t fill bottles, so they don’t work for me. The twin piston Tuxing type Chinese compressors have way too much trouble with breakdowns for me to consider, best thing about your Shoeboxes and my Altaros and my cat compressors is simply that they are not Chinese.

Keep that little red box running as long as you can Mike.

RC

While my Box is still running (and I have a complete backup should it need repair or fail completely), I am very interested in the Altaros booster style compressor. I have visited the website and it looks to be well thought out and built. Very simple operation concept.
I will keep nursing along the two Boxes that I now have until I can no longer produce enough air for the need, then go with the Altaros I suppose.
Mike

1 did things a little different on the drive compressor(s). I did not want to use a oil compressor as the smell of oil in my house was something I did not want, that also ruled out Chinese piston driven oil compressors. I had ordered a oilless 10 gallon compressor from the east coast, but it was damaged in transit. I found out that the California Air Tooks, aka CAT compressors had a roll cage to protect the compressor parts. The CATS are also very quiet 71 decimals if memory serves me. I have had one of the CATS stop working after an hour or so of run time, the fix is easy and instructional video’s exist on the CAT site.
I live on the west coast and the CATS are assembled in San Diego, so I ordered one, it did not put out enough air to reliably run the Altaros, in the end I went with 3 CATS running into a 10 gallon storage tank and my run/rest ratio, along with 12 inch fans keep my 3 drive compressor at a ideal temperature and run/rest ratio.

I have 2 years on my Altaros system without a rebuild and it runs cool, moisture is removed by the three filters between the three CATS and the Altaris booster. The only time I have changed the media on the filter inside the boister cabinet was when I first used the booster, although I routinely change out the media in the 3 outside filters with each use.

Like the Shoebox, it is slow, but much quieter.

Regards,

Roachcreek

A law of science paraphrased " you cannot create energy , you can only change energy to another form AT A LOSS "
SO your using a shop compressor for a long period of time @ cost of electricity and wear and tear on parts .
I understand your sentiment but I have spent zero on maintenance and parts in six years. The compressor in the pic above is 23 years old, it’s a Husky from Home Depot that cost $397 in 2000, it is made entirely in the USA, not so anymore. Yes, it uses electricity which is not free but it is a 220 volt unit so it’s cheaper to run than 110. To me, it’s the way to go unless you have the cash for a Bauer or something similar.

Reactions: beerthief
A law of science paraphrased " you cannot create energy , you can only change energy to another form AT A LOSS "
SO your using a shop compressor for a long period of time @ cost of electricity and wear and tear on parts .
This is a consideration for me because I already have a shop compressor I bought for $50 off a tweaker that was getting evicted from his shop. It's one I've had for 25 years that was 10 years old when I got it because oiled shop compressors last forever (almost). My compressor & the Altaros booster will likely outlive me at around 1/4 or less than the cost of a PCP compressor that can claim the same thing. That and the cool operation that requires fewer add-ons and lower filter maintenance for air quality are strong positives for me.

I have a pneumatic hydraulic pump for hydrostatic testing air tanks up to 30,000 psi and it works the same way as the booster. This pump is around 40 years old, has been stored outside for 23+ years with water still in the pump and it still works. It won't work for PCP filling but my point is the technology is very solid and can produce very high pressures, just at a slow rate. I have 6.7kw of solar on my house so running the compressor for a longer period than a PCP compressor is not a concern for me.

Reactions: beerthief
While my Box is still running (and I have a complete backup should it need repair or fail completely), I am very interested in the Altaros booster style compressor. I have visited the website and it looks to be well thought out and built. Very simple operation concept.
I will keep nursing along the two Boxes that I now have until I can no longer produce enough air for the need, then go with the Altaros I suppose.
Mike
If you were really looking for an excuse, you could always justify buying the bottle to bottle Altaros booster version. That would allow you MUCH longer times between filling your bottles and thus make the shoeboxes last a whole lot longer.