Turkey Vulture

seen a program on tv once that claimed they can't smell it's all visual
@susan candela I recently read that black vultures can’t smell well and follow turkey vultures to carcasses.

Unlike the article, I haven’t seen black vultures dominate turkey vultures. The Turkey vultures looked larger from what I recall and the black vultures were on the sidelines kicked off of the carcasses until the bigger and more aggressive birds left. There was some wing spanning and posturing,
but not a whole lot of that from what I recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: coastal drifter
I only read about vultures in Texas. There are three two types. Of the three, I’ve had plenty of opportunity to observe turkey vultures in my region and only recently learned of black vultures after reviewing trail cam footage of them feeding together. After I paid close attention to the video I noticed there were some different looking birds in groups exceeding 30 birds at a feeding site. Interesting creatures. I’ve seen them on numerous trail cams doing different things. I also get to see them often in nature by just being outdoors.

Edit: I was mistaken in my above recollection concerning what I recently read. There are three types of vultures in the United States: turkey vultures, black vultures, and the California condor. Of the three, two are found in Texas.

Last edited:
All Vultures black or turkey are Fed protected here , although the DNR reports a lot die of lead poisoning for some "unknown " reason .
I have about 30 to 50 out back in the trees right now , their is a small cave a 3rd of the way down the cliff and the babies hatch there so soon we will have several young vultures about . The Vulture's Play on the updrafts on the lake and up the cliff very calming effect to sit on the screen porch and watch .

Stealing my starling bait.
1000006147.jpg

Hello everyone,

I shot two squirrels yesterday while shooting my paper targets. I did not pick them up because I knew my local Turkey Vultures would need a snack to day. It beats the heck out of me how they can find a small dead animal in the middle of a National Forrest.

ThomasT
View attachment 334486
Yummy

• Haha
Reactions: ThomasT
They are not clean birds. Their poop covers everything. I used to climb towers in the midwest and everything towards the top of the towers were covered with what looks like spilled dirty white paint. Some cities applied for fed permission to chase away these protected birds from city communication towers because of maintenance issues. The feds always said no.
sling shot and small fire crackers will do it , OR a cheap short barrel C02 pistol / no ammo / just noise

Reactions: ThomasT