Turkey Vulture

seagulls here close to the beach are called Dump-Ducks !!!;)
there are thousands in the local landfills !!
@gendoc That’s hilarious. They get to be ridiculous in areas around ocean water. I’ve seen them in large numbers in those regions. I don’t know much about them other than they appear to be scavengers more rat-like than pigeon-like. I’ve seen them at dump sites, marinas, and in cities close to the water. I have no idea where they nest to multiply like they do. They are some nice looking birds to me though. I like their colors and feathers. Are they nuisance animals? Can you shoot them in Alabama if large numbers come on to your property?

@gendoc That’s hilarious. They get to be ridiculous in areas around ocean water. I’ve seen them in large numbers in those regions. I don’t know much about them other than they appear to be scavengers more rat-like than pigeon-like. I’ve seen them at dump sites, marinas, and in cities close to the water. I have no idea where they nest to multiply like they do. They are some nice looking birds to me though. I like their colors and feathers. Are they nuisance animals? Can you shoot them in Alabama if large numbers come on to your property?
you should see them behind my tractor when i'm plowing !!
years ago, my son and i were speckle-trout fishing with live shrimp, we turned around and 6 seagulls were eating our live shrimp out of the bait bucket!!
my son swung the paddle and knocked one out of the park !! :sneaky:
unlawful to shoot them as far as i know.

• Haha
Reactions: Ezana4CE
you should see them behind my tractor when i'm plowing !!
years ago, my son and i were speckle-trout fishing with live shrimp, we turned around and 6 seagulls were eating our live shrimp out of the bait bucket!!
my son swung the paddle and knocked one out of the park !! :sneaky:
unlawful to shoot them as far as i know.
@gendoc That would explain their high numbers which makes me wonder how folks can be expected to exercise reasonable tolerance in dealing with them. Stealing your fishing bait right out of the boat? No, no. You’ve gotta go .

Regs seem similar in these parts regarding vultures. Strangely enough, I’ve read of buzzards in other regions that were supposedly eating newborn calves, maiming or killing them. If I saw something like that, I’d light into the entire group depredating livestock. I don’t usually see a large group of buzzards away from carcasses unless they’re circling. I’ve counted as many as 30 in a group of turkey and black vultures. For that task we definitely need them to clean up livestock and roadkill carcasses before they turn rank in this humid and hot climate.

@beerthief Stan that sounds pretty similar to what I read. The wording permitting dispatching them was very specific from what I can recall. It’s been a while since I read about this. It’s not an issue in the region I live in, but when it comes to things of that nature I make it a point to contact the department of wildlife. They have been great at providing guidance and pointing me in the right direction regarding information and resources.

Reactions: beerthief
Hello everyone,

I shot two squirrels yesterday while shooting my paper targets. I did not pick them up because I knew my local Turkey Vultures would need a snack to day. It beats the heck out of me how they can find a small dead animal in the middle of a National Forrest.

ThomasT
View attachment 334486
Back yard visitor.

1709749731109.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello

My cousin has a dairy. A cow can be having a calf and there will be 30 or so buzzards jumping on her trying to eat the eyes out of the calf before it hits the ground.

Just sayin/
We were discussing something like that earlier in the thread as seen quoted below.

…Regs seem similar in these parts regarding vultures. Strangely enough, I’ve read of buzzards in other regions that were supposedly eating newborn calves, maiming or killing them. If I saw something like that, I’d light into the entire group depredating livestock. I don’t usually see a large group of buzzards away from carcasses unless they’re circling. I’ve counted as many as 30 in a group of turkey and black vultures. For that task we definitely need them to clean up livestock and roadkill carcasses before they turn rank in this humid and hot climate.

I kill turkey vultures almost everyday. From camp at horseshoe overlook I ride out on my tiger striped mustang, he’s a “gud boah “ I usually use my .22 varmint rifle, ( big thanks to Norbert!, I helped him when he got bit by a snake and got the rifle from the local gunsmith for free on his tab.) I use the feathers to craft arrows, poison, improved, small game, fire and dynamite. The carcass or meat I just donate to camp to keep my honor high.
Yea I’m bored.😜

Reactions: bell41
I've seen turkey vultures get extremely aggressive with each other over a carcass, to the point of feathers and blood flying. Just a few days ago, my camera caught a smallish red shouldered hawk drive off several of them from a coon carcass the buzzards were fighting over. After being driven off, the hawk ate for almost 10 minutes and the vultures did not bother him, after the hawk flew off, the turkey vultures were back to fighting over pecking order in less than a minute. One picture came out fairly good, I posted it as an update to my last hunting thread, I edited the first post so if you want to see the pic it is on top. Seem wasteful to use the storage on the site to upload the pic again.

I kill turkey vultures almost everyday. From camp at horseshoe overlook I ride out on my tiger striped mustang, he’s a “gud boah “ I usually use my .22 varmint rifle, ( big thanks to Norbert!, I helped him when he got bit by a snake and got the rifle from the local gunsmith for free on his tab.) I use the feathers to craft arrows, poison, improved, small game, fire and dynamite. The carcass or meat I just donate to camp to keep my honor high.
Yea I’m bored.😜
Amen hallelujah,,, inject an armadillo with parathion, and thin the herd.

We had an old horse that died in the middle of the woods and they found her before we could. No way she had time to start stinking. I've heard they pick up scents from updrafts but she couldn't have been dead for more that a few hours before we saw them circling and found her.
seen a program on tv once that claimed they can't smell it's all visual