• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Turkey hunt

I’ve taken two turkeys with an air rifle. Both were with a Daystate Air Ranger .25. I was shooting JSB Kings at about 900 fps both times. One was a head shot that immediately dropped and did the “death flop dance” for a few seconds. The other was a body shot at about 40 yards. That one ran a few yards after being hit and then just dropped. I would say that a Talon in .25 that can push the JSB Kings into the 850-900 fps range will serve you well.
Kenny

I’ve taken two turkeys with an air rifle. Both were with a Daystate Air Ranger .25. I was shooting JSB Kings at about 900 fps both times. One was a head shot that immediately dropped and did the “death flop dance” for a few seconds. The other was a body shot at about 40 yards. That one ran a few yards after being hit and then just dropped. I would say that a Talon in .25 that can push the JSB Kings into the 850-900 fps range will serve you well.
Kenny
Thank you so much my friend and it is alot cheaper than getting another texan ss in .308

I get five turkeys a year here in California with an air gun. I also guide many of my friends so, maybe 7 to 10 turkeys each year?
I've used everything from .177 up to 30 cal. I've used air bows, crossbows, and I've even gathered a friend with a recurve though. All you need is 12 ft lb. Anywhere from the brain to the neck where you can break the bone and that bird's going down. I've even hit one where it went through the jugular and I did take a second shot just to put it down quickly but again very little power is needed with the correct placement. I have to say that I've seen a lot of body shots, and a lot of birds that have survived body shots and the only one that died is one where my daughter shot at at 115 yards. She put a 30 cal slug in the same spot you would shoot with an arrow through the back. It went through the liver and killed the bird almost immediately. You are not going to have any problem killing a turkey with that Air Force. I have a lot of turkey hunts on the Diablo rod and Gun YouTube website....https://youtu.be/X2dDUTOZAu8?si=bsQc6iZ76eQob2cv

Reactions: pcponly
Where legal, with a head shot even a .177 will do the job.

Notwithstanding I have more .25 Cal PCP’s than .30 Cal, I always prefer .30 (with JSB Hades) for anything bigger than a jack rabbit.

I have taken a wild turkey with .25 (head shot) and some with body shots with .30 and .357.

Last wild turkey I took was with a Vulcan 3 700 mm in .30 Cal and JSB Hades…… DRT !!!

Reactions: motorhead88