• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning wildcat .22 mk3 by noise?

Trying to see what velocities work for nsa slugs; working my way up from a 90 bar reg planning to try several reg settings and velocities. So far the smaller sized slugs are most promising.
So my biggest question so far: should this gun make more of an echoing thwang or a louder thwack which drowns out the thwang(the secondary sound)? I guessed it should be more of a twang but my accuracy tells me it should be a louder thwack. The twack is quite loud though and requires an ear plug. My MK2 .25 has very reasonable volume but this thing can be downright almost earsplitting. Anybody know what is going on here?
Also, I notice the plenum fills faster and more consistently with more hammer. Is that normal?
Thanks and happy independence day!

IMG_20230704_123933.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I see you have a crony.

Find the max fps of any give reg pressure by increasing the hammer spring till speed no longer increases…
At that point back off the hammer spring till you loss roughly 5-7%
You should hear the gun quite down.
That’s one school of thought.

The second school of thought is more difficult, requires more testing.
Running a higher reg pressure, and tuning the valve below the shot curve. While it’s quieter, I don’t prefer it, as it amplifies any reg pressure discrepancy. Also, my experience is it also leads to more issues with “waking/warming the gun up)

Reactions: BZapp7 and Stone02
When tuning a PCP you want to find the max velocity you can hit at said reg pressure. Then you back off from there I'd say 15-30fps. Above states 5-7% which I think is alittle high I prefer 3-5% for a more consistent regulator. You might have a probe oring missing though? Shouldn't be terribly loud. Unless you don't have an LDC on the gun which looks like you don't. That would be an issue also. The shrouds on them are for looks.

Sorry I see you have a crony.

Find the max fps of any give reg pressure by increasing the hammer spring till speed no longer increases…
At that point back off the hammer spring till you loss roughly 5-7%
You should hear the gun quite down.
That’s one school of thought.

The second school of thought is more difficult, requires more testing.
Running a higher reg pressure, and tuning the valve below the shot curve. While it’s quieter, I don’t prefer it, as it amplifies any reg pressure discrepancy. Also, my experience is it also leads to more issues with “waking/warming the gun up)
It does get quieter after I back off the hammer after reaching the peak of the reg but not by much. Really makes a difference when I go "below the shot curve" as you said but those cons obviously aren't ideal.

When tuning a PCP you want to find the max velocity you can hit at said reg pressure. Then you back off from there I'd say 15-30fps. Above states 5-7% which I think is alittle high I prefer 3-5% for a more consistent regulator. You might have a probe oring missing though? Shouldn't be terribly loud. Unless you don't have an LDC on the gun which looks like you don't. That would be an issue also. The shrouds on them are for looks.
I will replace that probe oring to see if it helps, it's definitely there but perhaps worn too much. Tried the hollow moderator, which came with my mk2, but didn't make a noticeable difference, IMO

I haven't heard it from a few feet and I believe you're right but that wouldn't help me much except to know perhaps it's quieter for the birds...
If I crank my Prophet way up, I need an earplug in my right ear. I think the valve thwack can be way louder to the shooter than the actual muzzle blast.

Reactions: Dairyboy