• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Tuning the RAW HM1000x is not convenient

Update.

I love the trigger and feel of the RAW HM1000x. By setting either the OEM or Huma regulator beyond the max targeted pressure using adapters from HUMA, I’m able to connect my tethered tank with an external dual air regulator to the gun and control the supplied air pressure. With adjustments of air pressure and hammer spring settings I’ll check ballistic data and precision using my LabRadar chronograph.

Tuning is not as convenient as an FX Impact, FX Panthera or the pending Epic 2 air rifle, but I have a great shooting pellet rifle, so if I can find a slug or two that shots well I’m going to call it a day.

My next air rifle will be for slugs along the lines of the FX Panthera, Epic 2, but curious what is hinted at as forthcoming from BRK with their Ghost gun for slugs.

Original post

Tuning a RAW HM1000x is not very convenient, especially for myself who lacks patience. My interest in determining which slugs and tune if any work well for my .30 caliber HM1000x is going to require lots of trial and error.

My RAW requires the main air bottle to be removed and the action block depressurized to adjust the regulator. However, you won’t know how much of an adjustment you’ve made, just the adjustment direction until you put a gauge into the action. This however, is not convenient and can’t be done with the action in the stock.

Knowing small changes in air pressure and hammer spring tension can have a significant impact on precision and performance and I wanted an easier way to try different air pressure and hammer spring tensions quickly. Contacting HUMA and using my external dual air regulator and adapters I’m going to remove the air bottle, open the regulator all the way and control the air pressure to the gun (action) via the dual air regulator connected to my 97 cubic foot external tank. This will allow pressure changes and hammer spring settings to be made quickly and easily while the action is fitted in the stock and the gathering of slug or pellet ballistic and precision data.

This will allow me to see how much pressure I’m delivering to the gun and noting my hammer spring settings while monitoring velocity and precision using a LabRadar. This will allow me to know when additional hammer spring tension has plateaued and to slightly lower the hammer spring tension.

Due to the limited plenum size of the RAW HM1000x, it is likely going to be necessary to increase the air pressure which may require a heavier hammer, time will tell. I’m not sure if the 2022 RAW barrels are choked or not and if they lend themselves to shooting slugs of varying weights well enough, the motivation behind this adventure. I suspect very higher pressures will be less efficient which if acceptable slug performance can be obtained is an acceptable tradeoff for me.

RAW HM1000x LRT in Ransom Rest.jpg

RAW HM1000x LRT with air tank (2).jpg

Huma gauge on RAW HM1000x action (2).jpg

Air regulator for RAW HM1000x.jpg

Last edited: