• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Tuning the FX Impact M3

I have recently acquired this gun in .25 cal 700mm sniper version and slowly getting to understand the tuning procedure. However, there are things I´m wondering about.
I´m aiming to get the best accuracy at 100m with JSB Heavy Mk2 33,95g pellets. So far, I have experienced pretty good results with pretty much any settings. I still believe I have yet to find the sweet spot.
There are two air ports in the barrel, a smaller round hole port and a bigger two square hole port intended for slugs. Turning the barrel 180 degrees switches between the two.
The questions.

I´m getting about 10-15 fps higher speeds with the slug port. How does this difference playing a role compared to the other settings that affects the speed?

If I want a certain speed, should I increase the reg 2 pressure way over and then reduce the hammer spring? Or should I adjust the reg 2 to just about enough to reach my target speed with full hammer spring setting? Witch is the better way? I assume the first alternative gives a short high pressure burst of air, and the second a longer lower pressure burst.

Appreciate your opinions on this.

First of all, to decide the best way to accuracy you need to have a chronograph (which you seem to have given that you know the speed increase for the dual vs the single TP) You can then see what speeds correspond to what level of accuracy. That’s the key thing. If you’re happy with the speeds you can just leave it on the dual port for now

HOW you get that speed is a different question. Initially i am not sure it matters much whether you use the macro or micro wheel, or the valve adjuster. I would start out with those before I messed around with the Reg pressure. If you cannot attain the speeds you want then tyou can start messing with he pressure. Similarly, if you get the speeds without a reg adjustment you can either stop there or try and tune for efficiency at that speed. For this and more advanced tuning I would suggest doing a search of this forum. It has been addressed about a million times.

Reactions: Rudy-S
I have recently acquired this gun in .25 cal 700mm sniper version and slowly getting to understand the tuning procedure. However, there are things I´m wondering about.
I´m aiming to get the best accuracy at 100m with JSB Heavy Mk2 33,95g pellets. So far, I have experienced pretty good results with pretty much any settings. I still believe I have yet to find the sweet spot.
There are two air ports in the barrel, a smaller round hole port and a bigger two square hole port intended for slugs. Turning the barrel 180 degrees switches between the two.
The questions.

I´m getting about 10-15 fps higher speeds with the slug port. How does this difference playing a role compared to the other settings that affects the speed?

If I want a certain speed, should I increase the reg 2 pressure way over and then reduce the hammer spring? Or should I adjust the reg 2 to just about enough to reach my target speed with full hammer spring setting? Witch is the better way? I assume the first alternative gives a short high pressure burst of air, and the second a longer lower pressure burst.

Appreciate your opinions on this.
This is what I summarized from a few sources:

Complete Tuning Guide

Full open valve adjuster

Max the hammer spring to a point where you can still cock the rifle

Increase second regulator to reach speed above the target speed

Start at 80 bar and work your way up

Recommendations vary from 3-7%

Ted says 10-15 FPS higher than target speed

Example 880 FPS > 907 FPS or 880/.97

Reduce hammer spring tension until you reach 1-2 fps above your target speed

Slowly close valve adjuster until you notice the velocity drop the remaining 1-2 PSI

This is what I summarized from a few sources:

Complete Tuning Guide

Full open valve adjuster

Max the hammer spring to a point where you can still cock the rifle

Increase second regulator to reach speed above the target speed

Start at 80 bar and work your way up

Recommendations vary from 3-7%

Ted says 10-15 FPS higher than target speed

Example 880 FPS > 907 FPS or 880/.97

Reduce hammer spring tension until you reach 1-2 fps above your target speed

Slowly close valve adjuster until you notice the velocity drop the remaining 1-2 PSI
Thanks for the guide. This is very close to how i have been doing. However, what I was wondering about, where in this guide should i place the switching between the two ports in the barrel that gives a certain speed difference? Is it like adjusting the hammer, the pressure, or something in between?
Is it any benefit using the smaller port if i can get the same speed by just reducing the hammer spring or pressure?