Tuning Tuning Maverick Sniper

So recently I watched a Ted's HO video where he explained his method of tuning then another airgunner posted a video saying the same thing. Max out your hammer to where it will no longer cock. Turn the micro adjuster back in about half to full turn. With your working regulator, bring it up to a starting point of 80 bar. Gradually bring your regulator pressure up to desired velocity plus 20 percent. Start shooting targets and adjust micro adjuster down till u get the velocity that shoots the most accurate. I found that pellets are not a problem to tune to but because of the way slugs seal the barrel bore, they are way more difficult to tune. You must select a variety of diameter slugs of the same weight to find out which slug produces the lowest ES and SD and tune with them. Tune on pw7 for the heaviest slug u want to shoot then for lighter ammo all u need to do is simply turn down the pw and check your zero. I found that .217 NSA had an ES of over 50 and all my caliper readings showed them to be less then .217. On the other hand, the .2175 were .217 to .218 and they had and ES of 5.

When I shoot a 25.39gr pellet at nominal 888fps I can see it curve even in the slightest breeze. But when I shoot the same weight slug such as the JSB Knockout at 960fps, the slug travel straight to the target like a missile. I’ve nailed squirrels at a 109yds with slugs. I’m only using the standard STX barrel. Now the knockout is actually what I consider a hybrid cause it has a small skirt on it which seals the barrel when shot resulting in way higher fps at a much lower power wheel setting then a dish or flat base slug.

Last edited:
slugs have been a sometimes semi-hopeful,
but ultimately frustrating road for me.
There is a very very very FINE line between success and failure. IMHO, it's a certain amount of pure luck then things just line up. When they do, DO NOT MESS WITH IT. The hammer plays a hugely important role, you do not want one bit of excess air following the slug. To me it's counter intuitive to lower the hammer but that's what it takes. If you are in the ball park of speeds, but you've got a slug shotgun, try SLOWLY lowering your hammer, you'll go through a ton of slugs until it finally tightens up. Good luck.