Tuning an RWS 34 for the first time

What would be the benefit of installing a tuning kit like this in real world terms? The only thing I've done is replace the breech seal and lubricate. Is it going to provide $80 of value? Assist in extending lifespan?

I understand the equipment requirements to tear down and reassemble.

Kinda a dont fix if it ain't broken thing unless you know a specific tune your aiming for to what and how your going to shoot. You could get better or somthing not so satisfying. Then your spending more on another spring to try ..

Like this jm spring i used last seems just too soft for my shooting . Shoots good bit not the faster flater trajectory im use to. ( I dont replace a spring till broken anyway)..

Good luck

I was fixing to replace the piston seal because of age. If I'm going to tear it down anyway maybe this would be a good time. Just a matter of budgeting. Due to lack of experience I cannot say if the 34 is performing poorly. If the scope is working it makes acceptable groups if I do my part. I've had it a long time but this is the only pellet rifle I've owned or fired. I have nothing but suspect recollections to compare to. What constitutes an unacceptable level of wear on such parts and what metric is used to make that determination?

Well if doing the seal get a spring you like. Try the old spring and see the yry the new.. you can or should s ap the spring in like a 1/2 hour taking your time. If they work well just bag one up for just in case .. as long as the gun got minimal shots and stored uncocked the spring should be fine on the small amount of preload . If older like you say may as well do a full tune seal and spring.

One thing i will recommend is krytox lube. She'll be butter smooth just clean out the old carbon lubes used well first.
Also like brell cream a little fab will do you with krytox , dont take much of that stuff . That little .5 oz tube for $24 done 1 r9 spring seal and moving parts + 2 gas rams seal and moving parts and still got more in the tube for whatever comes next..

Anyway if you going to do a complete tare down clean and inspect and new piston seal id get the spring to have it just in case it is needed.

Good luck

I have that kit, but as far as performance before I installed it, I can't tell you since the gun didn't come with stock internals and already had a kit in it. Hector from Connecticut Custom Airguns had an idea 15-16 years ago to build some D34's. Diana agreed, Hector supplied the parts he wanted and Diana built 30 rifles for him as Diana D34K Premiums including the laser etched marks to denote the custom builds. His parts were an L-W .20 cal barrel made to his specs and way back then, something called a Black Ops spring kit.
I asked a couple years back if he actually still had any since several were bought by him to fill his 30 gun agreement. He said yes, we came to terms on a deal and a couple weeks later, #15 of the 30 made got delivered to my door.
I thought it was a little underpowered at a touch over 12fpe so I got it apart to find Diana had gouged up the piston seal on install and pretty overlubed. I bought kits from both Vortek and ARH. After installing, testing and trying both, it currently has the ARH spring kit with a Vortek seal in it that raised the numbers to a touch over 14fpe while still easy to cock and buzz/twang free.
The benefits have already been talked about. In my case, I dropped a newer kit in it trying to get the power I thought the rifle should have and didn't. I have no complaints about the ARH kit and would say if you're considering one, by all means buy and try it and see first hand what you think after you've shot it for awhile.
My D34K Premium .20 caliber:
D34-20cal-1.jpgD34-20cal-4.jpgD34-20cal-7.png
D34-20cal-8.jpg

Found this when I tore it down the first time.
D34K original seal 1.jpgD34K original seal 2.jpg
For the testing, I started with the Vortek spring and used an original Diana seal, the Vortek and the ARH seals. Then switched to the ARH spring and the same 3 seals. At least for me, the best results after a week playing were with the current combo of the ARH spring and Vortek seal. Mileage may well vary for anyone else trying what I did.

I went back to the emails traded when I was buying it and was told the gun had a Vortek PG-2 "Black Ops" kit and Vortek seal installed. The original buyer, a gentleman by the name of Tim Quigley, actually ordered 2, changed his mind and only took one of them and how I got the chance to even buy it.
Buyers had the choice to have custom work done before they took delivery, but I was told Mr. Quigley wanted nothing done to them, so if true then yes, that seal was installed at the Diana factory.
And yep, it's not just Hatsan. Seen any number of shooters over my 7 years on forums who bought different brands of rifles and said they got guns with banged up seals in them. Hatsan, Weihrauch and Diana are just a few of them.