• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning a RAW HM1000x (LRT) purchased in 2022

I would like to know are there issues I should be aware of when determining where my current hammer/spring trigger setting is by turning the adjustment screw either all the way or out so I can return it back if needed. I understand that by turning it all the way (not sure in our out) that a reset will require the stock to be removed.

Any hints or advice on tuning the RAW HM1000x (late model purchased in 2022) is appreciated.

I understand there is a finite amount of adjustment in the hammper spring settings and furthere adjustment in velocity up or down will be done with the regulator. Are they articles or posts that goes into details on tuning a PCP rifle like a late model RAW HM1000x (LRT)?

I don't understand why you want to start messing with the tune if you just received it. I've had my 22 cal for over a year and now a 25 cal and have never been tempted to mess with Martin's tune. In fact I believe it voids the warranty if you disassemble it and mess with the reg or hammer. Could be wrong there, but I'm pretty sure I read that. I say just shoot it and work on one hole groups.

Here is the official RAW YouTube channel with how to videos:
There are step by step instructions on how to tune the rifle including adjusting the hammer spring and regulator.

HOWEVER I like to point out that the regulator does not have a gauge last time I checked a RAW so you can't tell what the reg is set at. Only way to do so is shoot with chrono until you see a short spike then reduction in speed then write down the tank pressure, you need to do that once anyways just so you know when to fill your gun with air. If you change reg at all then you have to repeat the process until you find out where the new reg setting is. It's a pain in the rear if you are use to quick adjustment with reg gauge on guns like FX or Avenger. The RAW's hammer is pretty heavy and the reg is usually set to about 170 from factory so there isn't a lot of room to tune(mainly up) with the regulator or hammer with out some major surgery/wizardry from the likes of @Motorhead or @mubhaur.

RAW is a solid target pellet gun that has good accuracy/consistency. However, easily tunable it is NOT(to me at least)!

edit: apparently some .25 RAWs shots some .25 slugs well.

Last edited:
I would disagree about the raw not being tuneable I bought my Raw HM1000x as a std sub 12 uk spec rifle .The first thing I did was pull it appart .
It was always my intention to do so as I have the fac required in the uk to do so .
New valve well an older Martin valve
New polygonal 24 “ barrel 1/2 unf thread and blued
Hammer and valve spring set
Adjust the reg to 150 bar
And do some hammer work
Replace the awful pistol grip with magpul and the buttstock with an mdt lss
The gun does like the 25 grain jsb but it also likes slugs
I have a Corbin swage press so made slugs from 20 grain all the way to 30 grain and shot each at 50 and 100 yard
Unfortunately it has been windy on the days when I tried them but 25 grain at 950 to 970 fps works really well 1 1/2 group at 100 yard

I would disagree about the raw not being tuneable I bought my Raw HM1000x as a std sub 12 uk spec rifle .The first thing I did was pull it appart .
It was always my intention to do so as I have the fac required in the uk to do so .
New valve well an older Martin valve
New polygonal 24 “ barrel 1/2 unf thread and blued
Hammer and valve spring set
Adjust the reg to 150 bar
And do some hammer work
Replace the awful pistol grip with magpul and the buttstock with an mdt lss
The gun does like the 25 grain jsb but it also likes slugs
I have a Corbin swage press so made slugs from 20 grain all the way to 30 grain and shot each at 50 and 100 yard
Unfortunately it has been windy on the days when I tried them but 25 grain at 950 to 970 fps works really well 1 1/2 group at 100 yard

I went back to underline the word easily, any gun can be tuned but how much work is involved and how many people can easily tune it? In fact I’m the one posted instruction videos for OP to tune his RAW. I’m just pointing out it’s not as easy as other guns. The $299 avenger has a simple Allen key to adjust the regulator externally with a gauge to see the reg pressure all without taking off the stock, so it can’t be a money thing one would think.

Is the LW poly barrel hood on the new RAW? Of course. Are they consistent? Definitely. Can I fine tune the RAW to find the harmonic node with reg adjustments( hammer reg balance and finding the knee of power curve) in an afternoon at the range? Highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasT and rsfrid
RAW is a solid target pellet gun that has good accuracy/consistency. However, easily tunable or slug gun it is NOT!
Not sure I agree with the comment on not being a slug gun. For instance, this is my 25 cal HM1000x at 100 yards with mild wind and very heavy mirage (under moa) and NO adjustments to Martin's tune for JSB Exact 34 grain MKII:

6FBED5CF-C5FF-4A05-A438-74DC41B71BCF.jpeg

Not sure I agree with the comment on not being a slug gun. For instance, this is my 25 cal HM1000x at 100 yards with mild wind and very heavy mirage (under moa) and NO adjustments to Martin's tune for JSB Exact 34 grain MKII:

Maybe the .25 barrels are better with slugs? In the .22 the slugs are no where near that. Generally speaking a fatter and shorter slugs are a bit more tolerant to low twist rates of pellet barrel. However key to awesome accuracy especially with slugs is a very efficient tune and thanks to the heavy hammer all the factory RAWs I've seen all have the valve open too long hence how loud they are.

Regardless its takes some work to get even an easy to tune FX gun to shoot slugs under MOA. However the RAW/LW ploy barrels are known to shoot certain pellets well so I do understand why some say to leave a good shooting gun alone. It certainly is NOT EASY to tune but with know how it can be done. With out parts enabling easy tunability has in part to do with great consistency desirable in a dedicated target gun. But not sure if OP is looking for a slug gun anyways, most RAW owners I know are not looking for a slug gun.

You found a slug that shoots pretty well as the gun came which is great. But can you tune the gun to shoot the newest high BC/heavy slug? Maybe? It certainly won't be easy!

Last edited:
Maybe the .25 barrels are better with slugs? In the .22 the slugs are no where near that. Generally speaking a fatter and shorter slugs are a bit more tolerant to low twist rates of pellet barrel. However key to awesome accuracy especially with slugs is a very efficient tune and thanks to the heavy hammer all the factory RAWs I've seen all have the valve open too long hence how loud they are.
Regardless its takes some work to get even an easy to tune FX gun to shoot slugs under MOA. However the RAW/LW ploy barrels are known to shoot certain pellets well so I do understand why some say to leave a good shooting gun along. It certainly is NOT EASY to tune but with know how it can be done. With out parts enabling easy tunability has in part to do with more consistency desirable in a dedicated target gun. But not sure if OP is looking for a slug gun anyways, most RAW owners I know are not looking for a slug gun.

You found a slug that shoots pretty well as the gun is which is great. But can you tune the gun to shoot the newest high BC/heavy slug? Maybe? It certainly won't be easy!
25 cal NSA Slugs 33gr. 100 yards. Haven’t been able to duplicate this results but definitely under an inch at 100 yards.

This rifle is boring accurate 🥱🥱

16FB4E04-3FD3-44AC-A365-C45E85857558.jpeg

Reactions: qball and rsfrid

25 cal NSA Slugs 33gr. 100 yards. Haven’t been able to duplicate this results but definitely under an inch at 100 yards.

View attachment 296676
I haven't tried many slugs, so perhaps that might work in mine. I agree with your last statement.

before we go down the rabbit hole of slug in these guns I'm not sure if OP is really willing to put in the work. If he does then I'm just pointing out it's pain just to set the reg to me.

On the subject of slugs.........Shooting slugs is very tuning intensive from my experience. I change reg, hammer spring and even hammer weight when tuning for each specific slug, caliber and barrel length on multiple guns but non are RAW(don't have the skills nor machinery nor the patience to tune RAW the way I want to). the old airgun wisdom of find the ammo the gun likes works fine if that's your style, as long as you are happy with what you are shooting then who cares. I obviously can't leave my slug guns alone or even shoot the same slugs for more than a couple of shooting sessions but again, to each their own. I feel you on how boring guns get with the right tune with good ammo, these days I haven't frequented the 300 yard range in a while thanks getting bored and decided to shoot lowly pellets with non-adjustable FT guns instead.

Not easily adjustable isn't a bad thing if it shots the way you want, I have a few of those gun too. In fact my main FT gun doesn't even have a gauge period, not even a tank pressure gauge. But when going down the rabbit hole of slugs then a difficult to tune gun is......difficult. It all boils down to what you want to do with the gun.

EDIT: BTW you short changed yourself on that group, C2C is certain .5 inch or even a little under. Great shooting.

Last edited:
before we go down the rabbit hole of slug in these guns I'm not sure if OP is really willing to put in the work. If he does then I'm just pointing out it's pain just to set the reg to me.

On the subject of slugs.........Shooting slugs is very tuning intensive from my experience. I change reg, hammer spring and even hammer weight when tuning for each specific slug, caliber and barrel length on multiple guns but non are RAW(don't have the skills nor machinery nor the patience to tune RAW the way I want to). the old airgun wisdom of find the ammo the gun likes works fine if that's your style, as long as you are happy with what you are shooting then who cares. I obviously can't leave my slug guns alone or even shoot the same slugs for more than a couple of shooting sessions but again, to each their own. I feel you on how boring guns get with the right tune with good ammo, these days I haven't frequented the 300 yard range in a while thanks getting bored and decided to shoot lowly pellets with non-adjustable FT guns instead.

Not easily adjustable isn't a bad thing if it shots the way you want, I have a few of those too.
Im new to PCP so not sure if I got lucky but neither of my 3 PCP rifles had to do anything to shot slugs well except the FX impact but that’s a different subject 🤐🤐.

On my 25 cal RAW it actually shots both king heavy and NSA 33s pretty much the same but the slugs are way better for our west Texas crazy winds.

Im new to PCP so not sure if I got lucky but neither of my 3 PCP rifles had to do anything to shot slugs well except the FX impact but that’s a different subject 🤐🤐.

On my 25 cal RAW it actually shots both king heavy and NSA 33s pretty much the same but the slugs are way better for our west Texas crazy winds.

Slugs basically have half the wind drift of pellets so good to hear your gun shoots it well. On the subject of RAW shooting slugs the factory reg setting is about 170 bars which is along the line of my tuning approach so it’s not a huge surprise that it would shoot some slugs well as long as the barrel has enough twist and likes the size. So sounds like the .25 RAW can shoot slugs well which is great. My “problem” with the RAW has been the heavy hammer which creates long swell time of the valve hence the huge bark of the gun, however slugs have far more drag heavier slugs usually can tolerate longer dwell of the valve just because it takes longer to leave the barrel. You will lose a little speed but speed is far from everything.

Now I’m curious if you can shoot the newer 34.9 grain NSA because it has 20% better BC or 20% less drift, performance of the 34.9 grain is noticeably better than the 33 grain, you shouldn’t need to change anything as long as you aren’t trying to shoot at 1000fps or even at the same speed. In fact it might even take the bark if it is shooting slow enough.

Unfortunately for FX majority of the guns shipped with pellet tune which has low reg setting which is not good for slugs. so pretty much every impact needs a full retune to shoot slugs but tuning is super easy with the impact…..obviously completely different subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: rsfrid