RAW Rapid Tuning a RAW HM1000 for 12fpe

I recently won a RAW Micro Hunter in a raffle at the Republic of Texas FT Grand Prix. So first thanks for the generous donation from AirForce Airguns. It‘s a really well built rifle in .177 and I like it. That said it is, as advertised, a small, lightweight hunting rifle. Out of the box it shoots AA 10.34gr pellets at 830fps (15.7’ish fpe). The downside is you get to full magazines (17 round mags) of shooting before it starts falling off the regulator. For hunting that is fine as 34 regulated shots Is more than enough. For my use it will be more of a backyard plinker. I would like to retune the reg and hammer spring to make it a 12fpe rifle. I would like to shoot AA 8.44 gr pellets around 800fps with the hopes I can increase the shot count.

First I am assuming the reg, hammer, hammer spring, transfer port, etc is the same as any other HM1000. I watched the video on the RAW website on how to adjust the reg and hammer spring. It seems simple enough. Before I jump in there and start turning screws and nuts I figured I would post something here for any advice you might have.

Reg set to @ 100-105 bar
Make an SSG hammer de-bounce devise

While there are more tricks one can do ... Just those two things alone saves a bunch of air while also detuning to @ 12 fpe. ( SSG spring dependent )

Sadly the hammer system is a tad heavy and prone to bounce ( Wastes air ) You can find reduced power with OEM parts, tho efficiency will be shy of where it could be ;)

Reg set to @ 100-105 bar
Make an SSG hammer de-bounce devise

While there are more tricks one can do ... Just those two things alone saves a bunch of air while also detuning to @ 12 fpe. ( SSG spring dependent )

Sadly the hammer system is a tad heavy and prone to bounce ( Wastes air ) You can find reduced power with OEM parts, tho efficiency will be shy of where it could be ;)
Motorhead,

How would you describe tuning the RAW PCPs? Is it something easily done at home or is it a job for a trained tech?

I was considering a HM1000x LRT but didn't because local dealer said that the rifle had to be disassembled to access that reg and strongly recommended against doing that. (I ended up getting a Panthera which I'm very happy with)

Thanks!

The other tricks ... Custom light hammer, Cobra air spring, custom poppet & seat and transfer path modifications are beyond home fiddler capabilities.
These among other tricks are what I specialize in with custom tuning work on Theoben & Raw air rifles.

Not a plug for business, just stating facts to the question asked ;)

I recently won a RAW Micro Hunter in a raffle at the Republic of Texas FT Grand Prix. So first thanks for the generous donation from AirForce Airguns. It‘s a really well built rifle in .177 and I like it. That said it is, as advertised, a small, lightweight hunting rifle. Out of the box it shoots AA 10.34gr pellets at 830fps (15.7’ish fpe). The downside is you get to full magazines (17 round mags) of shooting before it starts falling off the regulator. For hunting that is fine as 34 regulated shots Is more than enough. For my use it will be more of a backyard plinker. I would like to retune the reg and hammer spring to make it a 12fpe rifle. I would like to shoot AA 8.44 gr pellets around 800fps with the hopes I can increase the shot count.

First I am assuming the reg, hammer, hammer spring, transfer port, etc is the same as any other HM1000. I watched the video on the RAW website on how to adjust the reg and hammer spring. It seems simple enough. Before I jump in there and start turning screws and nuts I figured I would post something here for any advice you might have.
I have a TM1000 that I switch back and forth between 12ftlbs and 20 ftlbs. Early on Martin used different hammer springs for different power levels. When I talked to him he had settled on 1 assembly that would handle both 12 and 20 ftlbs. Since I don't have a reg tester I bought another reg from him set at about 100bar. I just switch out the regs and am good to go. I can't remember what my reg is set for 20 ftlbs.
The regs are easy adjusted if you want to go that route and the gun is easy to work on.
Jerry

Reactions: bucketboy
6 weeks post next tuesday ... just range of motion rehab so far. Hurts and motion still limited.
been there done that , best thing is only do what therapy say's and do not do what therapy say's not to do . go as long as insurance pays , an extra 2 or 4 weeks is better i found .

how is the shoulder coming along?
I might want to employ your services in the spring time….

While the RAW craftsmanship is very good but the internal is decades old design from the bolt action 12fpe days. Personally I would not own a factory RAW but once @Motorhead has done his full internal upgrades the gun becomes completely different and MUCH better. Could not recommend the upgrade enough!

While the RAW craftsmanship is very good but the internal is decades old design from the bolt action 12fpe days. Personally I would not own a factory RAW but once @Motorhead has done his full internal upgrades the gun becomes completely different and MUCH better. Could not recommend the upgrade enough!
Agreed, I make my own custom parts and the difference in consistency, smoothness, vibration, noise and shot count are poles apart from factory standard.

Bb

I've been toying with the idea of getting a pistol for HFT. I like RAW guns very much but if you buy a pistol, it's tuned for either 12 or 20 fpe. Now the Brocock Pathfinder appeals to me more because you just turn an exterior knob to change power settings. AA rifles do that too, so RAW engineers should consider adding this simple T/P adjustment knob.

6 weeks post next tuesday ... just range of motion rehab so far. Hurts and motion still limited.
Every surgery is a bit different, and I think this is more true of shoulder repairs than other joint surgeries. I've had repairs on both sides, and I was pretty much 100% for daily activities after about 3 months, 6 months before resuming tennis. The first doc insisted on a total replacement, but the second opinion from a Duke department head said a repair was feasible, so I went with that. My point, that second surgery was for a larger tear, and the recovery was longer. If you are doing the PT, and nothing prohibited, I expect your recovery is on track. Stick with it, good luck!

Very nice WIN !!!! I have just got around to playing with mine. I put a Huma reg in it. Could not get a good read on the pressure as my tester was leaking, but I think its around 130 bar, backed the hammer spring all the way out, Shoots 8.4 AA at 761 10.9 ft lbs & 10.5 Benji at 692 11.2 ft lb. Ended up shooting the 8.4 for better accuracy. Get about 30 good shots with a deviation of about 3. This is going to replace my HW44 as my field target pistol. Have fun with your new gun.

IMG_5491.jpeg

I've been toying with the idea of getting a pistol for HFT. I like RAW guns very much but if you buy a pistol, it's tuned for either 12 or 20 fpe. Now the Brocock Pathfinder appeals to me more because you just turn an exterior knob to change power settings. AA rifles do that too, so RAW engineers should consider adding this simple T/P adjustment knob.
Sadly the design has the exit of valve and the Barrel VERY close having no room for a rotary type strangler :(
Now something similar to a guillotine "FX Rachereo" type is ideal in this close space, applying / machining said device is another story.

RAW guns just as Theoben were made to be simple & reliable keeping fiddle gadgets at a minimum.

Reactions: bucketboy
Sadly the design has the exit of valve and the Barrel VERY close having no room for a rotary type strangler :(
Now something similar to a guillotine "FX Rachereo" type is ideal in this close space, applying / machining said device is another story.

RAW guns just as Theoben were made to be simple & reliable keeping fiddle gadgets at a minimum.
To skin the cat in other manner, we can slightly rotate the barrel to increase or decrease air flow.

• Love
Reactions: Motorhead