Tuning Tuning a Flashpup

Hello guys, I am new to PCP but not new to shooting but have not shot in a while. I recently bought a Hatsan FlashPup in .25 Cal. I am really having a rough time with the accuracy of the rifle. The obvious answer is me but I shoot other guns such as my Diana 34 at the same distance 22 yards(backyard limits) and can get dime sized groups with no problem. The FlashPup on the other hand is all over the place and I am lucky to hold them within 2 inches. I have installed a Huma-Air regulator and it works like a champ. I am tuned to about 820FPS with a JBS Exact King 24.39gr. pellet. For 20 shots I am getting average speed of 819.4, ES between 14 and 16 with a SD of 4.79. Seems like the numbers are pretty consistent to produce smaller groups that I get. I will say that 2 in 10 groups are about 1" CTC but the rest are 2" or better. Energy wise I get an average of 37.86FPE. . Maybe I just can shoot this particular gun. At first a fellow shooter and I thought it was the scope but after switching scopes it was back to same old bad manners. Besides me where else should I look to get the small groups.

I had a similar problem shooting my Wolverine. I could shoot my springer just fine, but the PCP was not very good. What I found helped was gripping the PCP firmly. I was used to a very light hold using the springer, which works. But the PCP was moving before the pellet left the barrel using a light hold. Once I held it tight, the groups shrank right up.

Thanks for the help guys. I am still working at it. I have tried several different pellets, different holding techniques but nothing seems to work for me. I also took it to our Club's range and had someone else try to shoot it. He was having the same trouble. He thought maybe the scope was not holding. I went home tried an new scope to no avail. I have watched all the Brothers in Air videos and basicly done everything he has done. So now I have put in a support ticket with Hatsan and will wait and see how that goes. It is just very frustrating getting a new gun and it or I don't shoot it well..

Thanks

Rusty

I had the same issue with my Flashpup 177 played with it for over a year, super frustrating, finally said screw it and took a wire brush and JB Bore Polish and went to town. Wow it now shoots JSB 8.4 grn at 975 fps and is very accurate. 

I finally just assumed since I tried everything else that it was a barrel issue, I did not want to pawn it off on anyone else, so it was a last ditch effort.

Well after much frustration with this gun, I spent the good part of the day yesterday tuning and retuning. The results were well worth the effort and produced accuracy as well as increased the shot count from 20 to 30.

With the difficulty of obtaining JSB pellets (reportedly the most consistent) I purchased H&N Field Target Trophy in 20.06gr. So I set about trying to tune the gun for this pellet. Started by retaining the Regulator setting I was using at 140 and turned the hammer spring all the way in and backed out a half. I then started recording shots to determine a hammer spring setting by turning the hammer spring out 1/4 of a turn at time and then check the curve to find the knee. Then I would go shoot for groups. I followed this procedure and ended up working the Regulator down to 120 and matched that with 1 1/8th turns out on the hammer spring. Bingo the guns is quieter and more at piece with it self and the group size for 30 shot was under a Nickle at 20 yards (as big as my back yard). The numbers on my shot string were in my opinion outstanding. I am still getting 40FPE across the string and I really like extending my shot count. I will have to take it to the club range to verify things but I am very happy with it at this point. Shot string statistics below.
Stats.1617192602.JPG