Tuning Tuning a Balanced Valve — for quieter shots

Most recent URGAN has one ...
FX has there own version, but it does not use pressure feedback to close, but adjustable poppet spring tension and lift limiter

Only Impact has the fancy poppet spring tension and limiter, everything else just have the standard balance valve held in place by pressure. Ok they do have a spring but a very weak one(ball point pen level spring), mostly just assist in assembly.

➠ It sounds like the trick with super short sips of super high pressured air — to make shots super quiet — don't work with balanced valves....
▪ They are too good and too balanced to function in such an unbalanced way.
▪ OK, I have to accept that.
▪ And get another 3D silencer from subscriber!! (He does such a marvellous job. 👍🏼 )

➠ Last night I did some test shooting and changed the regulator settings to see what the MV would do.
At 145bar I had the 25 grainers get over 1000fps. Never had a gun with that much power — I can't say I don't like it, nope, I really cannot say that truthfully.

Hopefully tomorrow my moderate flu will be a light flu, and I can go to the range and do some real testing!😊

Thank you again for all your help!

Matthias

➠ It sounds like the trick with super short sips of super high pressured airto make shots super quiet — don't work with balanced valves....
▪ OK, I have to accept that.
Thank you again for all your help!
Matthias
This is NOT true ... A balanced valve set up can be Super quiet for the power produced .... have personally built and tuned quite a few PCP's with these valves and when set up correctly, they IMO honestly don't need an LDC unless wanting really quiet !!

Closing the valve sooner during the projectiles travel towards the muzzle will increase the efficiency and reduce the db level. For an efficient and less loud airgun, close the valve when the projectile is about 1/3 through the barrel. Changing the dwell time on a balanced valve often requires modification to the valve. An alternative is a longer barrel and/or a heavier projectile.

Most recent URGAN has one ...
FX has there own version, but it does not use pressure feedback to close, but adjustable poppet spring tension and lift limiter
Asking out of absolute ignorance here:
are you describing the valve knob on the M3 here?
Also I vaguely remember hearing the Dynamic block used some form of a balanced valve. Does that sound correct to you?
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Like on a springpowered airgun there is something called a "pistonslam". Too light of a pellet is not good. To heavy of a pellets isn`t good either.
I have noticed on my Daystate Revere .177cal when I use 20-22grain there is less noise from the valvehouse. Wonder if there is something called "valveslam" in PCPs?. If so then a pcp should be adjusted for the pelletweight too(theory).

Like on a springpowered airgun there is something called a "pistonslam". Too light of a pellet is not good. To heavy of a pellets isn`t good either.
I have noticed on my Daystate Revere .177cal when I use 20-22grain there is less noise from the valvehouse. Wonder if there is something called "valveslam" in PCPs?. If so then a pcp should be adjusted for the pelletweight too(theory).
Your pellet weight is just controlling your valve dwell. Light pellet, air still coming out barrel after Elvis has left the building. Heavy pellet, making the most out of the air. Yes, you should try to control that with reg pressure, hammer spring and valve if your gun has that option. You do have some wiggle room if you don’t get all obsessed about it and still have a good shooting gun.

Reactions: qball
Your pellet weight is just controlling your valve dwell. Light pellet, air still coming out barrel after Elvis has left the building. Heavy pellet, making the most out of the air. Yes, you should try to control that with reg pressure, hammer spring and valve if your gun has that option. You do have some wiggle room if you don’t get all obsessed about it and still have a good shooting gun.
Exactly. Although I was very pleasantly surprised by how a very small adjustment of my valve tightened up my slug groups while not negatively affecting my pellets.

Exactly. Although I was very pleasantly surprised by how a very small adjustment of my valve tightened up my slug groups while not negatively affecting my pellets.
Unfortunately what that very small adjustment showed you was just how fine of a line your gun and barrel system is walking in order for it to shoot well. That’s why some abandon the platform.

Unfortunately what that very small adjustment showed you was just how fine of a line your gun and barrel system is walking in order for it to shoot well. That’s why some abandon the platform.
Case in point for many of these PCP's starting to use balanced valves .... Without a miens to mechanically limit poppet lift ( Buffer ) these valves poppet are allowed to just full lift off the seat :mad:
It was a major fault IMO when viewing a URAGAN 2. The factory had followed nicely the general design of a pressure feedback design, but OMITTED an miens to control poppet lift .... End result is no mater how you adjust HST or pressure the valve trends to just blow wide open upon discharging.

Yea you may find a place in the adjustments that is better and if it is worse either side of that place ... It is telling the system as a whole is way out of correct balances of Hammer weight, Spring rates, Venting size, Balance chamber specs etc ...

IMO ... :rolleyes:

Reactions: BBGunn
Case in point for many of these PCP's starting to use balanced valves .... Without a miens to mechanically limit poppet lift ( Buffer ) these valves poppet are allowed to just full lift off the seat :mad:
It was a major fault IMO when viewing a URAGAN 2. The factory had followed nicely the general design of a pressure feedback design, but OMITTED an miens to control poppet lift .... End result is no mater how you adjust HST or pressure the valve trends to just blow wide open upon discharging.

Yea you may find a place in the adjustments that is better and if it is worse either side of that place ... It is telling the system as a whole is way out of correct balances of Hammer weight, Spring rates, Venting size, Balance chamber specs etc ...

IMO ... :rolleyes:
That’s why when all you guys were going valve crazy over on GTA years ago, I jumped on board. It didn’t take me too long to jump right off that moving train when I became concerned about wearing out the threads on my guns from having to take them apart so often. I abandoned my own cobra valve but stuck it out with a JSAR SS valve for a while on one gun before I just finally regulated it. Complex valves require a whole new level of understanding and patience. Especially if you build your own.

It keeps me from being bored......lol
That's also why I started using a muzzle loader instead of a shotgun. The fun of finding that perfect load.

It keeps me from being bored......lol
That's also why I started using a muzzle loader instead of a shotgun. The fun of finding that perfect load.
Yes, but once you find that 110gr of Triple 7 and bullet X is the magical combo for your gun, nothing ever changes. No matter how many times you clean the gun or take it apart. Airguns and bullets can be next level fickleness.

Reactions: dens228
That’s why when all you guys were going valve crazy over on GTA years ago, I jumped on board. It didn’t take me too long to jump right off that moving train when I became concerned about wearing out the threads on my guns from having to take them apart so often. I abandoned my own cobra valve but stuck it out with a JSAR SS valve for a while on one gun before I just finally regulated it. Complex valves require a whole new level of understanding and patience. Especially if you build your own.
What about JSAR lately? Always liked their gun