Tuning .30 Cal Maverick ...ahh quick sand.... ?

So , got my new Maverick started testing .30 cal slugs fx hybrids 44.5 grns at 905 fps, a bit low and the First Reg was 150 and the second reg was 130...

Much of the information out there suggests shooting slugs at regulator pressures around 160s to 170s and second regulator about 150...

So thats pretty much what I did with the maverick, Set up the first reg to 165ish and second to 150ish. Went to chrono the gun and BAM speed is 830 now. 

I thought well I can turn up the spring tension to hit the valve harder and let more air out. I tried spring tension from max all the way down and it appears the velocity is not really changing and in fact going down into the 700ssss sometimes. I think I have the reg pressures too high which is a bit of a shock..

So new solution which I question is to degas the gun, Set first regulator to 155 to 160 bar and second reg to 140 bar ? hmm any error in my thinking ?

Jay

So , got my new Maverick started testing .30 cal slugs fx hybrids 44.5 grns at 905 fps, a bit low and the First Reg was 150 and the second reg was 130...

Much of the information out there suggests shooting slugs at regulator pressures around 160s to 170s and second regulator about 150...

So thats pretty much what I did with the maverick, Set up the first reg to 165ish and second to 150ish. Went to chrono the gun and BAM speed is 830 now. 

I thought well I can turn up the spring tension to hit the valve harder and let more air out. I tried spring tension from max all the way down and it appears the velocity is not really changing and in fact going down into the 700ssss sometimes. I think I have the reg pressures too high which is a bit of a shock..

So new solution which I question is to degas the gun, Set first regulator to 155 to 160 bar and second reg to 140 bar ? hmm any error in my thinking ?

Jay

Hi Jaydog, 

If you have any questions or need further instruction and help with your maverick settings please feel free to call our technician department when needed. 

Regards, 

FX Airguns USA

Monday - Thursday 9 AM - 4 PM EST
Fridays 9 AM - 3 PM EST
Phone: +1 866 639 0772
[email protected]

Did you buy the power kit and install it? Or does it come with it installed? Seems like more airflow and heavier hammer would help. If someone just installed 30 cal parts on an upgrade then maybe they missed the important part. I know if hammer spring gets too high then velocity drops. Make sure you give it a good effort. 

I found the Wildcat one of the easier guns to tune. Strange.

If you're sure all the above is done, correctly maybe try this. https://utahairguns.com/huma-high-flow-dual-hole-transfer-port-no-probe/

Probably worth watching this one. 

https://youtu.be/yfA1DItn0Uk