• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tungsten hammer weight. Needed or naw?

How many of you guys out there have the tungsten hammer weight installed in their impact? Does it really give you more power or is it all gimmick and false advertising from the fx boys. I remember these same fx boys claiming more power from the slug kit few years ago. I went out and bought one thinking gonna get the advertising power. It only give me like 5 fps more. Not kidding. So this new tungsten thingie everyone is praising about. Will it give me 30-50 fps over stock hammer weight or naw?
Talon tunes have in stock for $40.
Utah airgun have them for $30 but out of stock. Is it worth getting?

Screenshot_20220927-144427_Chrome.jpg

Not sure where you’re going with your recent posts. Seems click baity, but I’ll bite.

The slug power kit came out to allow higher power to be TUNED into the gun. Not just a kit installed for instant power increase. The same goes for the hammer weights. All it’s doing is allowing you to hit the valve harder than before. If your other adjustments aren’t in tune, then no, it won’t give you what you won’t. If you know how to tune, then yes, I think you’ll be happy with what you get.

My understanding is that the tungsten hammer weight or any heavier hammer will only be advantageous if you are setting the second regulator really high. If the regulator is set high the back pressure will close the valve too fast to let enough air through. Also more helpful for longer barrels. If you have a shorter barrel and lower regulator pressure I think the difference will be almost nothing.

Reactions: qball
Not sure where you’re going with your recent posts. Seems click baity, but I’ll bite.

The slug power kit came out to allow higher power to be TUNED into the gun. Not just a kit installed for instant power increase. The same goes for the hammer weights. All it’s doing is allowing you to hit the valve harder than before. If your other adjustments aren’t in tune, then no, it won’t give you what you won’t. If you know how to tune, then yes, I think you’ll be happy with what you get.
Not clickbaiting anyone. I'm into power. I'm hungry for power for say. I want to shoot heavy slug at highest power possible. My question is, will I get more power in ft lb/fps by buying and installing this tungsten hammer weight. Or is it all BS coming from these fx fan boys. I have nothing against fx guns. I own a impact and love it. But I aint gonna kiss ass and false advertise an fx item for something it can't do.

The Tungsten weights will allow you to push your regulator higher and allow the valve to stay open longer. This will help you get the higher speeds you are looking for. This will also help with the stresses on the system as well. With the heavier weight hammer you should be able to use a lower tune to achieve the same speeds.

The Fx tungsten hammer is very square and rather tight on the springs. Look over at Bullet Central they have hammers in stock that look more rounded than the Fx ones. Norm from 68 whiskey was just talking about them on his facebook feed. Maybe worth a look?

Not clickbaiting anyone. I'm into power. I'm hungry for power for say. I want to shoot heavy slug at highest power possible. My question is, will I get more power in ft lb/fps by buying and installing this tungsten hammer weight. Or is it all BS coming from these fx fan boys. I have nothing against fx guns. I own a impact and love it. But I aint gonna kiss ass and false advertise an fx item for something it can't do.
Again with the FX fanboy comments.

Yes, the tungsten hammer weight, or any heavier hammer weight will allow you more power. The factory hammer weight can only hit the valve so hard for a set reg pressure. At some point, the reg pressure overcomes the hammer weight and lowers your power to the point of valve lock. By hitting the valve with a heavier weight, it allows for higher reg pressures, and longer valve dwell, which in turn increases velocity and power. Maybe watch some tuning videos before diving in to tuning your impact. It sounds like you need to learn the fundamentals before blowing money on go fast bits!

Reactions: qball
How many of you guys out there have the tungsten hammer weight installed in their impact? Does it really give you more power or is it all gimmick and false advertising from the fx boys. I remember these same fx boys claiming more power from the slug kit few years ago. I went out and bought one thinking gonna get the advertising power. It only give me like 5 fps more. Not kidding. So this new tungsten thingie everyone is praising about. Will it give me 30-50 fps over stock hammer weight or naw?
Talon tunes have in stock for $40.
Utah airgun have them for $30 but out of stock. Is it worth getting?

If you already have an opinion of FX boys and FX parts then why ask? Short answer is no, it's not worth getting.

Regards
Resident FX Boy.

Reactions: madeintheuk
Tungsten, brass, added shims for added weight, they all do work, but only if you know how to reap their benefits. I recently turned someone on to using a tungsten weight but I feel he gave up too soon on it to truly see what it can do. If you currently like the tune and accuracy that your impact is performing at, don’t buy it just because it’s available. Sometimes just leaving things be is just better.

But if you must buy it to see or to gain more out of your gun, accept and be happy knowing you’re going to have to retune your gun

Concerning accuracy effects: If you install a heavy hammer you may have to make adjustments on your needle valve. The dwell time may end up being a little too long and the extra air disturbs the projectile as it exits the barrel. Below is an example with two different shot groups that were done one right after another under the same conditions at 200 yds. One was done with three lines on the needle valve (more dwell time) and one was done with one line on the needle valve (less dwell time). So basically you have to retune everything slightly to get everything balanced with the new heavier hammer weight.

IMG_20220924_145333595.jpg

IMG_20220924_145325945.jpg