• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tune kit recommendations

Hi guys newb here. Recently got back into airguns and bought an Impact Max Elite. It didn’t take long for me to realize I now have another addictive hobby so I bought an RWS 34 because I like the fact you can modify and tune springers. 
ive had it a week and have put about 300 rounds through it and it’s really starting to settle in. I would like to get it a little smoother and eliminate some twang so I’m shopping tune kits. I see a lot of people are really high on the Vortek kit but I just wanted to get you guys take on different kits/springs.

I was also wondering how much a good greasing or tarring the stock spring would reduce some of the twang. A lot of kits are sold out right now so I’m considering just taking her apart and putting some tar on the spring but if it’s not going to be a noticeable difference I may just wait until kits are in stock to take it apart. I can build an AR15 from the ground up but for some reason I’m a little apprehensive about taking the springer apart.

Anyway you guys were a great help when I was shopping for my first springer so thank you!

You can pack on the tar and it will help quieten it down, but it will likely become very temperature sensitive and you'll end up with a wandering POI. 

If it were me, id order a tune kit from Air Rifle Headquarters, a new piston seal and a small tub of his moly paste. The tune kit will come with a small sample of tar, and go light as it's enough to do 3 guns. I would also make a piston sleeve from PTFE sheet to keep the lube from slinging around and it will also help quieten the rifle a lot. Costs little but probably makes more difference than any of it. 

Most piston seals are nicked and cut when assembled at the factory, with RWS sometimes worse than the others. Getting a new one and sizing it to fit your tube correctly will keep the gun working consistently for many many years. 

That's what I'd do. Always worked well for me. 

The Vortek stuff is harsh IMO. And his springs are smaller diameter and therefore stressed more, and don't seem to last as long as the ARH ones. 

ARH says all kits are "made to order 7-10 days" but I have never waited more than a week before a kit was at my door from the time I place the order. And I've ordered a bunch over the years, for myself and other people's guns. 

Either kit will make a big difference in quietness, but a proper fitting and good condition seal is needed to get the most from either brand. I wouldn't even open it up without a new seal on hand. 

Air Rifle Headquarters; Apex Large Seal; you have your choice of 2 different kits for the 34. I've had both. If your 34 is .177, get the GXS "old school" kit. If your 34 is a .22, get the other option GRT?, just a bit more fps in the spring. IMHO.

Thanks! Looks like I’ll go with ARH. I’ve sifted through some videos but have had trouble finding a tutorial for kits and seals. Are there any that you guys recommend?

Air Rifle Headquarters; Apex Large Seal; you have your choice of 2 different kits for the 34. I've had both. If your 34 is .177, get the GXS "old school" kit. If your 34 is a .22, get the other option GRT?, just a bit more fps in the spring. IMHO.

I think this is excellent advice. Last one I did used the Old School kit and it was calm and collected! 

I’ve heard the 34 is easy to do without a spring press. Any truth to that?

Yes you don't need a spring compressor. The spring tensions held by the trigger group and pin. You still need to use some common sense as it's still held in under some tension just use some 2x4s and a screwdriver that is the size of the trigger housing pin to drift it out and vice versa plus your body weight. Good Luck. Yo!

Dude please take my advice. If you get or have someone make you some custom-fitted guides for whatever spring you decide to put in there or use the olfactory one but custom-fitted guides take care of like 80% of that noise and all that stuff. But if you feel like you need to buy a kit please leave that poor text up alone and go to air rifle headquarters. If there's any grammatical errors in this text is because Google didn't understand me while I was doing speech to text

Most modern factory guides are plastic, and are molded rather than machined. Delrin is inherently quieter, and fairly self lubricating so I prefer it to steel. Especially when making my own, since Delrin is so much easier to machine. But Delrin is possible to break on installing if you get rowdy with it and aren't paying attention. 

A piston liner made from PTFE will kill a good bit of noise in itself. Look at it this way, take the spring and rattle the guide in it. Makes noise. Now take the piston, and rattle the spring inside it. It makes a whole lot of noise! 

A spring in a tune kit from ARH will likely be a much better quality spring than the OEM too. Especially compared to RWS springs in my findings. 

Never had a 34 apart. Had my TX apart lots of times. As I'm pretty much inept at mechanical things I choose the Vortek. Takes me just a few minutes to change out the whole kit. The Vortek comes with everything you need. Takes about 50 shots to settle in. Than after a few hundred shots it wears in to where it will be for a long time. I have been using Vorteks for many years and never had one fail. Super quiet shot cycle. Very little recoil. You can put a pellet on the turret of the gun and shoot it and the pellet stays on the turret. All you hear is thuck. I've had professional tuned guns and the Vortek is just as good IMO.

I very rarely change the piston seal. 

Got my kit and piston seal from Air Rifle Headquarters within 5 days from placing the order. I had it installed and shooting within 20 minutes and it made a HUGE difference.

Very smooth with way less vibration and I’m already getting very consistent groups. I was getting frustrated with it out of the box because I couldn’t get The consistency I wanted and I put over 500 pellets through it.

It didn’t quiet it down any but I really wasn’t expecting it to. Anyone know where I can get a spring sleeve for the 34?

Thanks for all your recommendations!