• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Tune a Beeman R7?

I bought a Beeman R7 recently, and have been breaking it in. The JSB Exact RS Diabolo 7.33 grain pellet does the best, but others work out well. Question: Is it worth the money and effort to replace the original spring, or go with a tune using the Vortek Pro-Guide 4 Tuning Kit? And is that the best, or maybe the ARH Maccari kit? I am going for max smooth, not a harder-hitting gun.

Reactions: TXRMike
Congrats, the .177 R7/hw30 is as close to a "must have" spring gun as you can get.

I've used both Vortek and ARH kits in mine and had good outcomes with both. But IMHO, the ARH kits are less snappy and deliver a more mellow (some would say smoother) shot cycle with a bit less power.

A tune kit with spring, guide, seal and moly will likely run upwards of $95-$100. That is likely more than 25% of the price of the gun. The improvement is noticeable, but I think also often exaggerated. Worth it? Yes in my view, but probably not for the occasional shooter.

R

Reactions: Greenarrow
I shot mine fro 5,000 or so. Then it started to sound crunchy when cocking. I installed a Vortek kit, but did not take the piston out. I have another 5,000 through it since then and all is good, still running the factory seal.

The original spring took a set and was curved like a banana. The kit made a world of difference, much nicer shot cycle than when new.

The power did not change at all, shooting 7.33 @680fps and 7.0 wadcutters @700 or so.

Reactions: TXRMike
I had ten of thousands of shots in my R-7 before I tuned it,first used the ARH kit, really liked it , then put the Vortek kit in it,it changed to shooting cycle;just as
Emrider says,I like the ARH kit better,but the Vortek is also good.....I will say ARK ALL THE WAY!
Question was,"is it worth it"? , wait until you have thousands of pellets through it=think $100 and time,is it worth it to you,your R-7 will benefit from a tune job for sure,but it can wait

The power did not change at all, shooting 7.33 @680fps and 7.0 wadcutters @700 or so.
That's right where my new R7 is and it shoots pretty smooth for right out of the box ! The
Air Arms Falcons 7.33 gr are accurate and give slightly better velocity than the
JSB's. My last test with the AA was 688 fps.

I do like the job st take it apart lol ke your going to do a tune and just clean up the factory lube job and go back with a fresh relube . Insure its lubed well in the spring tube.. may not even need tar stuff just a proper moly grease .. you maybe surprised just how much ywang and all that could do . Your going to need a jar of moly anyway add to a kit.

I have decided just remain stock until I shoot it more. At 25 yards, a perfect hole dead center is very possible if I do my part. My HW97K has only a slight edge if any. Stuckat is right IMO, the AA Falcons 7.33 are amazing. First rifle or last, every spring gunner should have a Beeman R7.

IMG-0219(1).jpg