Tumbling Pellets..what causes this?

So while target shooting I'm noticing some funny looking holes in my targets, kinda like a tear drop, instead of a perfect round hole. Sometimes the POI will be where it's supposed to be and sometimes not. Is this because of tumbling pellets? Just wondering...and what can cause tumbling pellets? If pellets tumble will this affect POI? Any insight would be helpful. I'm shooting a springer .22 at 25 yards. Pellets are H&N 14.8gr, I'm not sure of fps, im thinking between 600 and 700 somewhere, never shot through chrony.

Open this brilliant information and scroll down to the Nutation Precession demonstration.
Your pellets are not "tumbling" they are gyrating in a complex precession and nutation manner.
Yes it will affect accuracy. Over some distance it will result in spiral flight.
If the teardrop holes are all orientated in the same direction, check you target is not at an odd angle to your pellets' terminal flight.
If that is OK then:
Perhaps give your barrel a thorough clean.
Ensure the pellet heads in particular, and the skirts are not excessively damaged..
Try other pellets and in particular borrow or buy a small sample of JSB Exact pellets 15.9 gr and JSB Exact Express and Exact RS. The last two are in the 14 and 13 gr wt class.

Open this and be prepared for exploring much air rifle dynamics and lore as well as gaining an understanding unstable pellet flight: Demonstration 17.
http://www.arld1.com/
Kind regards, Harry Fuller in OZ.