• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

TTTT, Thomas Tuner Testing Today

This is the first opportunity I’ve had to shoot my new HPX since last fall so it was great to be outside again shooting for the first time in 2024. I had this tuner left over from another project so I thought I’d see what kind of results I’d have using it on my HPX. I’ve got a LOT more testing to do but it shows some initially good results. Its really hard to improve on an already awesome rifle but it’s fun to do some testing.

IMG_8402.jpeg

On bull 24 I decided to try a meager attempt at what Mike does, shooting a 25 shot group, but my skills pale in comparison to his. All shooting was with unsorted, straight from the tin MRDs at 50Y outdoors.

The red numbers are tuner settings.

I started shooting in the bottom left corner, shooting left to right on each row then transitioning to the next row above. Its interesting (to me) to see where each group shifted to as the tuner settings (red numbers) were changed. Not only group sizes changed but also where the group found its home. This really displays where the barrel was whipping to when the pellet left the barrel. I was holding on the center X dot for each group. There was some wind but I [usually] waited until both flags were in the same condition that I was waiting on before breaking the shot.

I had time to get one card in yesterday. I guess one of the (amazing to me) stand out things about Mike's guns is how well he is able to control vertical spread. If you look at my card below you will see that every shot was easily a 10 but my misses were all off horizontally and that was 100% on me for bad wind calls. This is the most dependable rifle that I have ever shot in that I can trust the rifle 100% therefore eliminating the arrow and ALL the rest is on the Indian.

img_8433-jpeg.451453

I had time to get one card in yesterday. I guess one of the (amazing to me) stand out things about Mike's guns is how well he is able to control vertical spread. If you look at my card below you will see that every shot was easily a 10 but my misses were all off horizontally and that was 100% on me for bad wind calls. This is the most dependable rifle that I have ever shot in that I can trust the rifle 100% therefore eliminating the arrow and ALL the rest is on the Indian.

img_8433-jpeg.451453
You called it correctly. Vertical is dependent on the preparation of your rifle. Horizontal is on the Indian. A properly tuned rifles and a good Indian who is in sync with his flags is a deadly combination. Then there are headwind and tailwind conditions. Looks like you make and tune good arrows.

img_8433-jpeg.451453
I think you bull #12 is a 9 ;-}

Reactions: igolfat8
I shelved the tuner for now because we have a match this coming Saturday. This Thomas HPX shoots so darn well without one so I am likely just chasing fairy dust with the tuner anyways.

View attachment 451446

The Jumbo and Jumbo Beasts didn’t shoot well.

View attachment 451447
According to the Thomas tuning instructions I was given and used to set up my .177 Piatt - Thomas, the macro step sequence is as follows:

1. Choose a pellet.
2. Optimize hammer spring tension to regulator pressure.
3. Configure jet screw to desired FPE
4. Make small adjustments to hammer spring tension to adjust group size/shape.

Where would a barrel tuner fit into this process?

Reactions: igolfat8
According to the Thomas tuning instructions I was given and used to set up my .177 Piatt - Thomas, the macro step sequence is as follows:

1. Choose a pellet.
2. Optimize hammer spring tension to regulator pressure.
3. Configure jet screw to desired FPE
4. Make small adjustments to hammer spring tension to adjust group size/shape.

Where would a barrel tuner fit into this process?
That would be right before step 17b. Take your magic wand and go chase pixy dust :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Troy Bakel
I recommend getting the gun right without any tuner as a baseline...then see if a tuner can help improve it slightly. A tuner won't help a poor shooting gun shoot well. It can make a great shooting gun a little better....but the amount of weight and placement must be perfect to make any improvement. Tuners are famous for making great 5 shot groups... while ruining the high count groups necessary to do well in BR.

Mike

One time a few months after I got my HPX I tried to tune the HS using the chrono trying for the lowest ES. Nope that didn't work well for precision as I had assumed ES and 10 rings would coincide. Maybe it does sometimes but not then???

I ended up putting the HS approximately back where it was when Mike sent the gun to me. ES was still decent and the gun shot pretty good even considering the lackluster performance of the newer shipment of MRD's compared to a few good older tins I had burned through.

One time a few months after I got my HPX I tried to tune the HS using the chrono trying for the lowest ES. Nope that didn't work well for precision as I had assumed ES and 10 rings would coincide. Maybe it does sometimes but not then???

I ended up putting the HS approximately back where it was when Mike sent the gun to me. ES was still decent and the gun shot pretty good even considering the lackluster performance of the newer shipment of MRD's compared to a few good older tins I had burned through.
I remember that... Unfortunately, you got flyers with the RDMs just like every other high-end gun does.