• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trying to make sense of it all

IMG_0583.png

Four of the six values seem incorrect. This is directly from my scopes user manual. The manual also says that determining mils read must be made at the highest magnification(16x). However I placed a 3.6” target at 25 yards and it equals four mils at less than 12x. ? Either I am not understanding something or this manual is just garbage. ?

Last edited:
It's 0.9" at 25 yards for center of mil dot to center of mil dot and that is at the "calibrated" magnification. So if yours says it is calibrated at 16x then it should read that length at 16x zoom.

3.6" is 100 yards, 1.8" at 50 and 0.9" at 25 yards.

I just delt with the same thing with one of my scopes (ended up returning it for parallax issue)

Reactions: Ezana4CE
It's 0.9" at 25 yards for center of mil dot to center of mil dot and that is at the "calibrated" magnification. So if yours says it is calibrated at 16x then it should read that length at 16x zoom.

3.6" is 100 yards, 1.8" at 50 and 0.9" at 25 yards.

I just delt with the same thing with one of my scopes (ended up returning it for parallax issue)
The scale as printed makes no sense to me. It’s not constant if I compare and analyze the values.

The scale as printed makes no sense to me. It’s not constant if I compare and analyze the values.
Yeah the only one that makes 100% sense to me is the right windage showing 1.8 center to center meaning it is zoomed to a magnification that, at 50 yards, the mil dot reticle is calibrated.

This is the setback of a second focal plane reticle, it will change distance between the marks depending on what magnification you are on vs a first focal plane reticle where the distance between the marks is the same no matter the zoom setting.

BUT that doesn't mean the reticle is ACTUALLY a mil dot because I had a FFP West Hunter that was supposed to be (it was dash lines not dots but still) and when I measured with calipers a 0.9" line, then set it at 25 yards, I found out why my Chairgun app was telling me to hold about 4 dots down but reality was saying about 6. The distance between lines was smaller, meaning it was like 1.5 or something dots looking at that 0.9" mark.

That scope got returned too.

They say most SFP scopes are calibrated at the highest magnification and that ended up being true for my Monstrum it was a 3-12x and after measuring 0.9" at 25 yards it was at 12x the lines were the same but for my UTG scopes it says 10x in the manual.

I agree with @Airgun-hobbyist in that with the manual example being weird you should just measure it in real life.