• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

trying to find the right scope (vortex, bushnell, athlon)

Hi, 

im looking for a new scope for my r5 .30cal and im a bit confused with the wide range of scopes in these three brands (vortex, bushnell and athlon)

i want 24-30x max magnification, and im moving on 400-800USD budget, I prefer 10 yards minimum parallax and nothing above 25yards. I will use dialing with turrets for make the corrections so besides a clear optic, i want it to be reliable and robust.

i dont know wich series is higher end than other inside the same brand, and wich series are comparable between brands.

Ive seen for example:

-Vortex strike eagle 5-25x56 EBR -7C MRAD

-Vortex diamondback tactical 6-24x50 EBR -2C MRAD

-Bushnell match pro 6-24x50 DEPLOY MIL

-Bushnell nitro 6-24x50

-Bushnel forge 4.5-24x50 DEPLOY MIL

-Athlon argos btr 6-24x50 gen2 APMR MIL

-Athlon midas tac 6-24x50 APRS3 MIL

-Athlon ares btr gen2 4.5-27x50 APRS5 MIL

-Athlon helos btr 6-24x50 APMR MIL 

As you can see there are a lot of candidates...and i would like to make the list shorter. Im open to suggestions.

I have to say i have never seen through vortex, bushnell or athlon scopes so im buying with blind eyes.

Thanks for your help as always. :)

Best regards!!

Of the ones you’ve listed I have a Helos BTR atop my Bantam Sniper HR. I look through it almost everyday and dial for my shooting from 40 yard zero out to 100 yards. So far all the elevation settings have been repeatable. So I dial for 50 yards, hit, dial for 65 yards, hit, then back to my 40 yard zero, hit. I shoot great groups using it and have taken small pest from 15 out to 100 yards (pigeons). Mine has the APLR2 MOA reticle. Athlon makes solid scopes with a great warranty. YO, will come along shortly. Good luck with your search.

This has a 25 yard minimum focus. It is half price at $599. JAPAN MADE and perfect clicks. LIFETIME WARRANTY and decent glass for a cheap Japanese $1200 former king of high end scopes on sale for $599. It used to be Bushnells top of the line Elite 6500 a while back. 

You have a list here you decide where you to buy if you could pay up to $1499 instead of $599 for the same scope if it makes you feel any better like many folks on the forums do who actually really feel better paying 3x the cost for the same scope than I do. The motto you get what you pay for I guess so some may want to buy the $1499 one even if it's the same as the $599 one but that one has a 50 yard focus instead.

1597616647_17003999595f39b20721d612.20103602.png
1597616647_10512442895f39b207572075.01080518.png
1597616647_3202672185f39b207907828.28534206.png
1597616647_11473041305f39b207bc97f1.50679834.png
1597616647_4742746185f39b207d883b6.62225318.png
1597616648_11096295905f39b208062044.84268134.png
1597616648_4689377825f39b2082cb969.96774423.png

I won't recommend the usual $229 AIM Sports Alpha6 In your case since its a Chinese made scope even though its A clearer scope optically than what you listed regardless of price and you need and want reliable Japanese or European proven long term longevity clicks. I will not click any of my Chinese scopes even my BUSHNELL Forge NOPE!

You may opt to buy the Chinese scopes on your list up to your $800 budget at MAP prices but I believe you aren't getting what you pay for in buying Chinese optics with very few exceptions and none of these exceptions are on your list. The BUSHNELL NITRO is Korean and all others Chinese.

I have the expensive Bushnell Forge and wasn't impressed with it especially based on its price and its Chinese!!!

If you do end up buying a Chinese scope that's $800 and under just don't ever look through an ALPHA6 or BUSHNELL TAC then you won't be pissed at the price you paid for the other brands of Chinese $800 and under scope. Once you look through an Alpha6 your expectations just shot up 10x for other Chinese scopes then you get real pissed when those others aren't clear at max power. Exactly what happened to me.

I have researched the sub-$500 segment: 

And found that neither Vortex nor Bushnell seem to care for us airgunners. 😟 ➔ They just don't make scopes with 10y min. parallax.

🔶 3 exceptions to that:

▪Bushnell Engage 6-24x50 SFP(!)

▪Bushnell Match Pro (brand new) 6-24x50 FFP. Features 10mil turrets, gridded reticle.

▪Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP. Gridded reticle. No IR.

($700: ▪Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 FFP. Parallax 15y(!). 10mil or 25moa turrets. Gridded reticle.)

🔶 You said you're a turret dialer. My brother!! 😄 

However, the Bushnell Nitro on your list has capped turrets....

Happy scope shopping! 😄 Isn't this fun?!

Matthias

Thanks all for your replies

my favourites were Bushnell match pro, vortex diamondack tactical, athlon midas tac and helos btr....but still confused.

YO, i knew about the bushnell elite 6500 series but how is it possible than new modern products are worst than old products in terms of lens and mechanical quality?

No doubt that bushnell elite6500 could be a good option i like its price but has 25yards parallax and old desing... 

I searched for the AIM alpha6 for another airgun but is temporary out of stock. Its hard to believe AIM to be better than all the scopes of the list for a fraction of the price...but im curious about it

JUNGLESHOOTER, bushnell nitro has hybrid turrets if they were solid and reliable there is no problem to deal with that...but im not sure if they are.

I have a complete mess in my head right now hahahahah

Main company has them in stock.

https://www.aimsportsinc.com/alpha-6-4-5-27x50-30mm-riflescope-w-mr1-mrad-reticle/

If you pay their $393.29 for the 4.5-27x50 Alpha6 scope direct from the AIM Sports Company in California you may have added piece of mind by paying this price instead. Then it would be more realistic and believable. Believe it or not people really do believe you get what you pay for in life. I sure don't not if they're Chinese made.

You may opt to buy the $819.99 JAPAN Bushnell TAC 4.5-30x50 from Optics Planet instead. It's more expensive than the $599 SWFA version so that may give you added piece of mind as well. I would take a JAPAN SCOPE over any Chinese scope any day except for the Alpha6. I just don't use the Alpha6 to click just because it's a Chinese scope with fantastic glass that is comparable to much much much higher dollar well known and popular Chinese scopes branded by many different US companies which has superlative illumination that focus down to 10 yards which carries a Lifetime Warranty. I click with only JAPAN and European made scopes. Only reason I bought more Alpha6s as compared to the Bushnell TACs is because the Alpha6 is illuminated.

1597659519_14126018465f3a597fec4300.85300562.png

You may feel free to buy whatever Chinese scope You wish since its your own hard earned money. You have the right to spend it on whatever you wish.i People have the right to experience life themselves and not take anyone's suggestion and see for themselves. Just don't ever look through an Alpha6 after you buy any other brand Chinese scope ALSO including that JAPAN BUSHNELL TAC then you won't know any better and feel as stupid as I did spending a hell of a lot more for popular brand Chinese made scopes that weren't nearly as clear especially at maximum power.

Midas TAC for the win.

10 mil per rev and class leading turrets but as good as the G2 Ares BTR, zero stop,10Y focus, great reticle, not too heavy or long and with a 30mm tube. It's the scope to beat for these reasons.

The Vortex SE is a 34mm heavy-ish scope and glass is only okay. It's a great choice otherwise. I'd own one except I'm a glass snob.

There's YO pushing a discontinued SFP scope with mismatched 12 moa turrets and a mildot reticle, which is exactly why it never was a good choice to begin with and is now on sale because nobody that knows better wants it. 

High end Chinese Athlon beats low end Pearl Harbor bombing Jap every time! 

Midas TAC for the win.

10 mil per rev and class leading turrets but as good as the G2 Ares BTR, zero stop,10Y focus, great reticle, not too heavy or long and with a 30mm tube. It's the scope to beat for these reasons.

The Vortex SE is a 34mm heavy-ish scope and glass is only okay. It's a great choice otherwise. I'd own one except I'm a glass snob.

There's YO pushing a discontinued SFP scope with mismatched 12 moa turrets and a mildot reticle, which is exactly why it never was a good choice to begin with and is now on sale because nobody that knows better wants it. 

High end Chinese Athlon beats low end Pearl Harbor bombing Jap every time! 

Agree with this Midas Tac are amazing scopes!

Do you know if is it possible to fly abroad USA with a scope bought in USA??? Im thinking of buy and carry it with me to my contry in the luggage. I will stay in USA until mid september.

Thanks again!! Regards

someone who knows some details in order to clarify about this question??

In your case, Hopefully US Federal guidelines change on exporting scopes out of the USA by then which is CURRENTLY A BIG NO-NO.

I just got my Alpha 6 Friday. It would not track right out of the box. At first I could not see any ca. Now today in the bright sun light I do see some. Anyway it is going back. I wonder how little I would have to pay to get ED glass. How is the eye box on the Sightrons? They claim to have better tracking. I am not willing to pay their price for ED glass but would consider the Tac or SIII. I am just a casual target shooter. Is the Slll worth the price increase? 

I just got my Alpha 6 Friday. It would not track right out of the box. At first I could not see any ca. Now today in the bright sun light I do see some. Anyway it is going back. I wonder how little I would have to pay to get ED glass. How is the eye box on the Sightrons? They claim to have better tracking. I am not willing to pay their price for ED glass but would consider the Tac or SIII. I am just a casual target shooter. Is the Slll worth the price increase? 

Buttt c'mon man Jerry, don't you know that the glass in these Alpha sex'ers are really super clear like in $2000 scopes!!!

I think the original strategy was to order like 20 of them suckers so you can find one that is a optical gun sight instead of a cheap spotting scope.

Seriously though, that's disappointing in a few ways. I hope they send you a shipping label so at least you don't have to pay for return shipping.