Trying to Decide which .177

Default to a Taipan Veteran standard or compact...
177...I like my standard more than the Huntsmans...as another member quoted
on another thread, "you will thank me later"...done.
I'm done cocking by your ear. I had crickets for years and they are wonderful accurate pcp's. I shot a veteran and the trigger is amazing but I just don't want the rear cocking anymore. I did look at the new Kalibrguns but the only one I would like is the Argus and it doesn't come in .177. The mini would be cool too but it doesn't come in .177

Not to be redundant, just reading along. If you don't want to cock by your ear, want a short gun, and want to try something other than a Daystate...

The Impact Compact

1670604593037.png

or a crown 380

1670604482278.png

Just wondering, what do you want in your new rifle that your Sniper XR in .22 does not offer? Just seems that it is about perfect for your needs.

I messed around with the Brock XR with crosman pellets using the transfer port but the accuracy sucked at 20 ft-lbs. It might be I just need to adjust the hammer spring but the brocock is shooting the jsb 18s so good, I don't want mess with it

I love my P35s including the 177. They are cheaper, sub $500. Less than 30 inches long, just over 5 lbs weight, 450mm barrels, and around 85 db quiet with simple shroud modifications. I shot a 184 with my 177 on the 30 yard challenge and a 194 with my 22. I think with a higher magnification scope than the PA 4-16 it wears the 177 could do a bit better (or with a better shooter). My 177 came stock shooting 10.65 brain H&N Barracudas at about 900 fps. I get nearly 100 shots per fill when I fill to 250 bar (I usually fill to a little less). The P35 is a bit hard to get, however, I ordered mine from Krale. The Stoeger Bullshark is very similar and available on Amazon last I looked. It comes in 177 or 22. I would expect to put in a longer sear screw and possibly an in the shroud printed moderator (or do the hair curler mod) but with these tweaks it is a very nice shooting gun.

@wyshadow, since you already own an Sniper XR, have you considered the Atomic or Ranger XR? I love my .22 Atomic XR and use it as you describe. Its a sweet handling, multi shot rig. The length is nice and short so its easy to use in tight spaces. Sub 20 FPE of pure smackdown out to 50 or so yards. Mine has been a pesting machine.

View attachment 312165
That is such a sweet rig Mr. Leon! 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

Reactions: L.Leon
Default to a Taipan Veteran standard or compact...
177...I like my standard more than the Huntsmans...as another member quoted
on another thread, "you will thank me later"...done.
Up until this year I would have agreed but I bought two different Taipan Veteran Standards in .177 and I couldn't get either one to shoot at less than 22 fpe. The quality of the rifles is outstanding and I love my .22 and .25 but the .177 was disappointing.

I messed around with the Brock XR with crosman pellets using the transfer port but the accuracy sucked at 20 ft-lbs. It might be I just need to adjust the hammer spring but the brocock is shooting the jsb 18s so good, I don't want mess with it
Not that it matters, but I'm curious as to why 20 fpe seems to be critical to your decision?

Up until this year I would have agreed but I bought two different Taipan Veteran Standards in .177 and I couldn't get either one to shoot at less than 22 fpe. The quality of the rifles is outstanding and I love my .22 and .25 but the .177 was disappointing.
That's intriguing. I've had a .177 short and .177 standard. Both easily went down to 15ish fpe

I'm done cocking by your ear. I had crickets for years and they are wonderful accurate pcp's. I shot a veteran and the trigger is amazing but I just don't want the rear cocking anymore. I did look at the new Kalibrguns but the only one I would like is the Argus and it doesn't come in .177. The mini would be cool too but it doesn't come in .177
Ahemm, cough cough
EB19EEB7-FDE3-4685-886F-CA381437B007.jpeg

As for the .177 FX, I had one a while ago and it ruined my FiX experience forever. I was told by multiple people that either work for, or sell them that in .177 they are “Hit or Miss”

Can’t speak for the other guns on the list, even the Taipan as I have never owned one in .177, but the rear cocking lever, for me, is easily overcome by just reaching over with my left hand, but to each their own. The Uragan Compacts are Very Very nice. Had a friend that had one in .177 and he loved it. I have tested one in .22, fit and finish was 👌

*edit* I do own a Revere in .177 Sub-12fpe and it’s simply an amazing gun. Very accurate & deadly.

Reactions: addison
I'm in the market for another .177. The Huntsman classic in .177 I had I gave to my sister as a wedding present. I do have a Leshiy classic .177 but I found it clumsy to reload in the dark while pigeon blasting. I need it to have at least 18-20 ft-lbs, magazine for quick follow up shots and easier to reload in the dark, need it to be some what short (under 36 inches), back yard quite (don't want something that sounds like a .22 rim-fire going off), good shot count so a reg is a plus, mid-cocking, don't want semi-auto, and I don't really want a bullpup but if that's the best option, so be it. I want to mainly shoot pellets but slugs would be a plus.

I've been thinking of several options I could do.
Option 1:
- I was thinking of purchasing a 500mm Maverick .177 barrel kit from Utah but I've read mix reviews on FX's .177 barrels. Not sure if I want to take a gamble. Another concern is I'm not sure if the Maverick will like the .177 barrel.

Option 2:
- The FX .177 Dream Tact Compact w/ bottle might be the perfect choice. I just need to know if the Dream Tact will give me 18-20 ft-lbs. I believe it should. Again I noticed most people aren't raving about the .177 barrel.

Option 3:
- AGT Vixen .177 is another choice. I would choose the standard version but the long version would be nice since it seems it can shot slugs really well; according to videos made by Cedric. I'm not to sure about the ergonomics with that tank in the rear. Reminds me of a Texan.

Option 4:
- AOA has the Brocock Sniper XR .177. I do have a .22 Brocock Sniper XR and its a really sweet shooter. Just want something different but not ruling it out.

Option 5:
- Uragan Compact .177. I do have a .25 Uragan and it's a sweet shooter. If the Compact version shots just like my .25, I know I'll like it. I just want this to be my last option since I already have Uragan and it's a bullpup.

I have thought about the Revere .177 but I do want to try other brands. Any other options I haven't thought of, let me know.
Only 2 options. 177 m3 or 177 red woof ;)

Not that it matters, but I'm curious as to why 20 fpe seems to be critical to your decision?
For .177 I think that 18 to 20 ft-lbs is flat shooting and is perfect for me smacking pigeons around buildings. I mostly hunt pigeons at the dairy at night and trying to guess distances in the dark is challenging. 20 ft-lbs in .22 is too loopy of a trajectory for me. 30 ft-lbs is a good tune for .22 but this was a little to dangerous in and around buildings.

For .177 I think that 18 to 20 ft-lbs is flat shooting and is perfect for me smacking pigeons around buildings. I mostly hunt pigeons at the dairy at night and trying to guess distances in the dark is challenging. 20 ft-lbs in .22 is too loopy of a trajectory for me. 30 ft-lbs is a good tune for .22 but this was a little to dangerous in and around buildings.
I have a 12 fpe .177 that kills squirrels consistently at 35 yards.You might consider a non-FAC level .177.

Reactions: rigbymauser