Trying to Decide which .177

I'm in the market for another .177. The Huntsman classic in .177 I had I gave to my sister as a wedding present. I do have a Leshiy classic .177 but I found it clumsy to reload in the dark while pigeon blasting. I need it to have at least 18-20 ft-lbs, magazine for quick follow up shots and easier to reload in the dark, need it to be some what short (under 36 inches), back yard quite (don't want something that sounds like a .22 rim-fire going off), good shot count so a reg is a plus, mid-cocking, don't want semi-auto, and I don't really want a bullpup but if that's the best option, so be it. I want to mainly shoot pellets but slugs would be a plus.

I've been thinking of several options I could do.
Option 1:
- I was thinking of purchasing a 500mm Maverick .177 barrel kit from Utah but I've read mix reviews on FX's .177 barrels. Not sure if I want to take a gamble. Another concern is I'm not sure if the Maverick will like the .177 barrel.

Option 2:
- The FX .177 Dream Tact Compact w/ bottle might be the perfect choice. I just need to know if the Dream Tact will give me 18-20 ft-lbs. I believe it should. Again I noticed most people aren't raving about the .177 barrel.

Option 3:
- AGT Vixen .177 is another choice. I would choose the standard version but the long version would be nice since it seems it can shot slugs really well; according to videos made by Cedric. I'm not to sure about the ergonomics with that tank in the rear. Reminds me of a Texan.

Option 4:
- AOA has the Brocock Sniper XR .177. I do have a .22 Brocock Sniper XR and its a really sweet shooter. Just want something different but not ruling it out.

Option 5:
- Uragan Compact .177. I do have a .25 Uragan and it's a sweet shooter. If the Compact version shots just like my .25, I know I'll like it. I just want this to be my last option since I already have Uragan and it's a bullpup.

I have thought about the Revere .177 but I do want to try other brands. Any other options I haven't thought of, let me know.

Last edited:
Nice options to choose from! I have a DreamTac (standard tube version) with a 500mm barrel. Mine came from the factory shooting 10.34 JSBs at ~920 fps (19.4 ft-lbs). I get between 60 and 70 shots per fill at that power level. You'd get a lot more than that with a bottled gun. Good luck with your next gun!

Reactions: maxtrouble
Oh, yeah. I am completely satisfied with the .177 liner that came with the DreamTac. I suspect that the lack of raving you sense is more about other calibers being more common in the FX guns rather than any real problem with them. If you're wanting special liners to push heavy slugs, the larger calibers have more options. It is safe to say that FX doesn't make their milk and honey off .177 caliber, but what they do make has been awfully darn good in my example.
https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...calibers-22-25-30.1011538/page-2#post-1283512

@wyshadow, since you already own an Sniper XR, have you considered the Atomic or Ranger XR? I love my .22 Atomic XR and use it as you describe. Its a sweet handling, multi shot rig. The length is nice and short so its easy to use in tight spaces. Sub 20 FPE of pure smackdown out to 50 or so yards. Mine has been a pesting machine.

C5C84868-14BB-4B16-91CF-6F082BE2842A.jpeg

Another great option would be a Crown compact. It will do everything you are asking and can easily be changed to other calibers and lengths if you should ever want something different.

As others have s aid the .177 FX liners are not an issue. I have had great results. They are now making slug liners for .177 also.

Might also consider a taipan veteran? Seems to check a lot of the boxes, even though it is a bullpup.

I had a gen 1 wildcat in 177 and hated it….I bought a huntsman and loved this rifle, but the wife stole it for FT…I am currently shooting a crown MKII in 177 for FT and it shoots great 500mm barrel. It has been to the dairy and it will take down collar doves with no issues…I did have a Uragan compact in 22 and sold it like a dumb A$$🤬🤬🤬If the 177 Uragan is anything like the 22 it would be great…..There is a Taipan veteran in 177 on air gun warriors for sale.

Tony P

Nice options to choose from! I have a DreamTac (standard tube version) with a 500mm barrel. Mine came from the factory shooting 10.34 JSBs at ~920 fps (19.4 ft-lbs). I get between 60 and 70 shots per fill at that power level. You'd get a lot more than that with a bottled gun. Good luck with your next gun!
60 to 70 shoots on the tube version is good enough for me. Might save me the extra 140. I was thinking the tube version was getting 20 to 30 shots

Man I wish I had the available cash some of you folks seem to have! LOL!

Good luck and thanks for the info on the various guns as I am a confirmed .177 user! (smile)
We all started out like you but as soon as you get in to higher end pcp's, it makes it easier to re-sell them without losing that much money. I'm talking about buying used and then selling them again. I sold three pcp's and didn't buy anything for almost a year. I've been squirreling away money here and there for the past year. I'm thinking of selling another pcp that isn't doing what I wanted it do.

I would probably go with the Vixen or Uragan. I had a Maverick compact in 177 and wasn't impressed. I ended up turning that gun into a 22. I currently have a M3 Impact with a 600mm 177 and its better. I also have a Vixen long in 177 and its been a great gun. It's super accurate with JSB 10 and 13gr pellets. Also seems to like the NSA 12.5 gr. I know FX is suppose to release the new 177 slug barrel first part of next year ( I've had mine on pre order for almost 1.5yrs ) The Vixen long is 35.25" long and no moderator required. I haven't adjusted my reg so with the factory setting it maxes out right at 19.5 ft lb with the 13gr JSB pellets. I think its a great off hand shooter as well from on the bench. I would think the Uragan would be similar but could probably ring out a bit more power. Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has a Vixen and loves it...however Huntsmans are a hard act to follow...I have two and may get a Revere also...appreciate to fact you want to try new & different but I would stick with a Huntsman just my .02 cents...enjoy the hunt!
Well this hunt for another .177 started because my sister really liked shooting my Huntsman and mentioned if I could bring the gun to her wedding for a family shooting a day before the ceremony. After 6 months thinking about what I did, I think my sister planned this hold wedding to get my Huntsman.

Don't forget about the Airmaks Katran in the compact or the standard. They seem to be a great gun for the money. You can decide on the tube or bottle version. Personally I prefer the tube look on this model. Hoping Santa will bring me one .177.

Keith
I do have a Katran .22 long and its a really nice setup. Great trigger and ultra smooth cocking lever. I just couldn't get it to shoot anything lighter then the JSB 25 grains. So after my troubles trying to detune the Katran, I'm avoiding them.

I would probably go with the Vixen or Uragan. I had a Maverick compact in 177 and wasn't impressed. I ended up turning that gun into a 22. I currently have a M3 Impact with a 600mm 177 and its better. I also have a Vixen long in 177 and its been a great gun. It's super accurate with JSB 10 and 13gr pellets. Also seems to like the NSA 12.5 gr. I know FX is suppose to release the new 177 slug barrel first part of next year ( I've had mine on pre order for almost 1.5yrs ) The Vixen long is 35.25" long and no moderator required. I haven't adjusted my reg so with the factory setting it maxes out right at 19.5 ft lb with the 13gr JSB pellets. I think its a great off hand shooter as well from on the bench. I would think the Uragan would be similar but could probably ring out a bit more power. Hope this helps...
Thank you for your post. This is what I'm looking for. Real hands on experience on my first option. I was thinking the Maverick might not like the .177 barrel because I had trouble trying to tune the a 600mm .22 barrel in the Maverick. Still not happy with the tune but I just need more time to figure it out.