• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trying to decide on my first PCP rifle

Hi everyone, haven't posted in quite a while. I am finally going to buy a PCP Air rifle. I have done quite a bit of research and boy there is a ton of variables to consider. I am only looking to spend $300ish so that rules out alot of rifles. I have narrowed done my likes to 3 rifles. 1 Beeman QB Chief, 2 Benjamin Discovery, 3 Diana Stormrider. I would appreciate feedback on these three and any other suggestions on good PCP rifles at or below $300. Thanks!

I have no hands on experience with the models your looking at. In your price range from what I’ve seen you may need to do some tweaking of the rifle to get it to perform in a manner that works for you. In a new rifle under $300 the Umarex gauntlet is a good choice. On this and other blogs a good amount of info has been written on making the gauntlet better. Below I included a link to a review. Look at other reviews on YouTube. As far as caliber goes I like the 25 as it’s good for hunting or target shooting the Gauntlet is also available in 22 and I think 17 if that works better for you. On the hard air magazine site I think the man that runs it wrote a book on the Gauntlet that I’ve heard good things about. Remember to get a decent scope for it in the classifieds on this site you can find used ones that will work just stay away from the big box scopes . 

Good luck and if you need more help the people on airgunnation are a helpful group 

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/umarex-gauntlet-25-caliber-pcp-air-rifle/

You have received really good suggestions. I'll add if you can take a look at the BSA Buccaneer in PA, and also as it was mentioned the Nova Liberty, this last one is pretty new but also seems like a home run. Downside might be the reliability (it's pretty new rifle) and part availability but it's the one I like overall. Search on YouTube about it, I did a video last week and Hajimoto has a video too, both can be found in this forum gate.

Good luck!!

If you don't own a scuba tank, a fiber tank, and/or a source of high pressure air refills...then don't get a pcp. Handpumps only work for the young and strong...a spring powered airgun, or one that compresses air each time you cock it, would be the way to go. They are powerful and very accurate at reasonable shooting distances. Mine was deadly out to 25 yards...although I never bothered shooting further than that. Pigeons and rats weren't that difficult to find.

It's an interesting hobby...but start at the bottom and work your way up to see if you like it, and if it fits your lifestyle and interests! Don't forget your neighbors when it comes to noise, some of these guns are really loud! That can become a real problem. 

Have fun!!! 

LOL. Reading this thread I note that not one reply directly addresses the content of your original post, "I have narrowed done my likes to 3 rifles. 1 Beeman QB Chief, 2 Benjamin Discovery, 3 Diana Stormrider. I would appreciate feedback on these three". Yes, you did also ask for other suggestions but first made it clear that the three listed rifles were your primary selections based on prior research. Hepotter even went so far as to tell you to forget PCPs and stick with spring-piston guns.

Here's my input: the three guns you do in fact prefer are generally well-regarded for low cost PCP-entry guns. You will of course have to factor in the cost of an air source so there's that. You've done research so I won't belabor that point. I am a Crosman fan so, from among your list, I'd say go the Disco route. A proven platform with tons of aftermarket support and mods, accurate all day long, and a lower fill point (2k psi) to ease the work of filling if done via a hand-pump. The QB Chief received good marks from reliable reviewers, as did the Stormrider, though neither to my knowledge has been called out for the kind of surprising accuracy for which the Disco is noted.

My opinion only, of course, and given in hopes you choose to enjoy whatever it is you purchase. Also note that Crosman's Maximus has received very high marks for the price. A 2K fill like the Disco if a bit lighter and having the same marginal trigger assembly, the Maximus also has great support and some mods that make it a very capable hunter or plinker.

Reactions: BanjomanMI76
Can' go wrong with Gamo Urban, or Any Hatsan in that price range. I have the Urban and its a very nice pcp for the $$. Can easily be hand pumped and can turn up or down fps. Very efficient on air. I had a Hatsan flash bullpup which is also easy to hand pump and efficient on air(after tuning 40 shots per fill of just 50bar). Hatsan have very good barrels and are accurate.

I'm in a similar boat, I'm getting into the PCP game on a budget of around $300 (for the gun). I've been buying all the extras ahead of the gun purchase, and spacing them out, so I don't have to buy everything up front. I've purchased a hand-pump ($38 Chinese special from Walmart), silicon oil for pump, Discovery scope on Amazon ($130), high scope rings (needed for Hatsan Flash), and a few other minor things.

If you buy direct from Crosman, and use the AGNATION 25% discount, and order on "free shipping Friday"....

Then you can get he Benjamin/Crosman Maximus in .22 caliber with a bunch of accessories (including pump) for $262.50.

The Maximus only pumps up to 2000 PSI, which makes it one of the easiest PCP airguns to pump up.

link:

Benjamin Maximus via Crosman website

I got my first last week. I went with the QB Chief. As a 2000psi it is easy with a hand pump. QB78's are a popular and well thought of (like mine) so I went with the QB Chief to learn. The 177 is a little quick to shoot in my house but a second steel backing with a one inch air space on my duct seal trap will do the trick. Air space will let me know if it busts through the first layer. LOL CHEERS!

For me, getting started with the Discovery was a good choice as it gave a great platform to mod easily...A LOT of parts accessable easily. The easiest were: Magnum Air Power spring, valve and power adjuster...Baker Airguns trigger blade...a Maximus barrel and extra barrel band from Crosman made a great little shooter. Also, a simple platform to tear apart and customize...which to me, is half of the fun of the hobby.