• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trying to decide FX, Daystate,Brocock

More power and larger projectile = more noise.

But some high powered rifles are quieter than others due to the design/effectiveness of their shroud & internal baffling, and the efficiency of their air use.

You won't be hearing any supersonic crack, or you are shooting your pellet way too fast.

Example: My Uragan King (.30 cal) is quieter without any added silencer than my Wolverine HP (.25 cal). The Uragan makes more power, but is more effectively shrouded/baffled from the manufacturer.

Nice thing about air rifles is that most, or nearly all, have threaded muzzles to accept an additional silencer - which is relatively cheap and easy to legally buy. Without waiting, registration or a tax stamp!!!

Power is your friend for longer range shooting, especially to overcome less than perfect environmental conditions.

You will generally use a silencer to keep the rifle back yard friendly, as opposed to reducing the power. But for shorter range stuff in your back yard just make sure you have an adequate pellet trap and backstop! 

OTOH a Red Wolf HP allows high power shooting at distance, as well as easy lower powered back yard shooting with a change using the in-built electronics, which is easy to do in the field and takes about 7 seconds.

How much louder are the HP rifles? Am I going to be able to turn them down enough to shoot quietly in my back yard ? Or am I better off going with a standard power rifle? Will the standard power guns still shoot fine at 50 & 100.

I think for most of the HP rifles, the answer is no regarding back yard friendly report. Of course, this is subjective and depends on your neighbor situation. As mentioned, the Red Wolf HP can be used on the lowest power setting, which in most of them is about like a standard power rifle. You can request programming from AOA , and they can probably offer some options that would allow a lower power setting. Also be aware, the HP version of most rifles is considerably longer, especially with a silencer, which is almost a requirement. I find them a bit unwieldy. And no, standard power rifles are not 100 yard rifles. 

Although I don't care for any of the newer FX rifles, the Royale is the original and, IMO, the best of the lineup. It has a solid smooth twist barrel, and simple, robust construction.

The old impact barrels are solid smooth twist. Are cheap to buy second hand, and drop straight into the crown. I have a 500 in 22 and a 600 in 30. I'm going to make a shroud, but my 3d printer is down for some repair/upgrade. 

The only thing that's fragile about the crown is the barrel system. The new superlight barrels on them are an improvement over the more notorious STX. Especially if you get them to settle in. (basically involves being very rough with it until the zero settles in) One of mine is also carbon fiber bonded, and is extremely rigid.

DSCF5573_edited.1611948762.jpg

You mentioned you didn’t want to depend on a battery. Don’t get the impression these Daystate batteries need frequent charging. They don’t. I don’t remember what Daystate’s specs are but I think it’s in the thousands of shots before a charge is needed. I used to think about that some but it really doesn’t cross my mind any more. Maybe charge em up once a year or every 6 months - something like that. Just sayin. Lots of good choices as has been mentioned. Try to pick what goes with your intended use.

true, received 2 red wolves 2 months ago and haven´t charged batteries yet..... also a friend of mine have a red wolf and he had shoot 12.000 pellets and counting without recharging!