• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trying to decide FX, Daystate,Brocock

I guess I’ll take away the battery and electronic worry away. I kind of liked the idea on the FX crown continuum with the two barrel sizes also. Short handy one for hunting and all. But all this FX hate😄😄.

I love the idea of a caliber change, the work involved in doing it just isn't worth it. A few peoples idea of convenient isn't what I would call so. Spending time getting one to shoot well, then changing calibers and starting all over again. To much time tinkering and not enough shooting. I think its comforting for them to know they can change but not really useful at all.

I agree with you on all points Crosman999. I've been down the Impact rabbits hole and had 3 caliber kits and it was time wasted swapping, tuning, tinkering and time lost shooting. Plus I am more of a hunter and the FX platform was too fragile (for me) IME in the woods.

Rippit, you didn't mention if a great trigger was important to you? Of the three mentioned in your OP the Daystate trigger is lighter, shorter and noticeably better feeling IMO than the others. My Sniper XR's trigger was horrible as received but after some polishing, spring cutting and wearing in it has become very useable but certainly behind the quality feel of the Daystate triggers.

I have a Gen 1 Avenger and it is a surprising good rifle especially for the money. If you want to dip your toe into the PCP market then the Avenger is a great springboard into the pool. Its accuracy astounds me for the price point. Trigger is decent and certainly exceeds the price point as well.

I guess I’ll take away the battery and electronic worry away. I kind of liked the idea on the FX crown continuum with the two barrel sizes also. Short handy one for hunting and all. But all this FX hate😄😄.

I don't know exactly that it is 'FX hate', but folks with experience really want to let those with less experience know what they might be getting into.

FX guns can shoot incredibly well and when they are, you really want to leave them alone. But they are really made to tinker with and a lot of shooters take that route - and sometimes get in trouble doing so. Plus it does seem that FX guns recently have had more than their share of reliability/quality issues out of the box. Might be due to FX being on the airgun bleeding edge of innovative design, might be that they are having a difficult time trying to keep up with sales demand, might be something else.

Have I personally had issues with FX guns? Unfortunately yes. I think with FX (especially with their more complex designs, like Impact or Crown) one has to acknowledge and accept that it will likely require more service/repair as compared to a gun from, for example, Daystate. But when they are tuned well and working right, they are such a pleasure to shoot, and dead-nuts accurate. And they are lighter than a lot of comparable guns, so they are nicer to carry in the field.

It is funny that FX guns are so polarizing. Folks who like them, and especially those who don't, both get very vocal about them. Perhaps it is due to the fact that FX has done an excellent job on the marketing side. This has generated much hype, and has led to a great demand for FX guns. Some say that FX virtually 'owns' many YouTube review channels. But some owners believe, after purchasing the guns, that the hype and expectations generated through these channels are not supported.

I own Crowns, Dreamlines, Wildcats, Royales. Some have had their issues. They are (for the most part) no where near as robust as my Daystates. While I totally enjoy shooting my FX guns, and am generally amazed by their accuracy, I personally don't have the same confidence in them as I do my Daystates, even the ones with electronic systems and batteries.

And I acknowledge and accept that my FX's may require more routine service and repair. But I'm not currently thinking about getting rid of them.

It is probably just that in the current situation, it is difficult to recommend an FX gun to a new PCP shooter. And recommendations as a new PCP shooter are what you are asking for.

On a different note to this thread, I own both Brococks and Daystates and generally like them both very much. The Red Wolf & Pulsar electronic trigger is my favorite, and the Wolverine mechanical trigger is really not far behind.

My standard power Brocock Sniper XR (.177) also has an excellent trigger and is a very accurate gun out to at least about 35 yards. It is actually a gun which has convinced several non-airgun shooters to purchase their first PCP air rifle.

And while I love the Brocock product, there is one thing I have found with them: Their triggers can come from the factory feeling very different in different guns, sometimes even in the same model. In some cases I could easily adjust them externally and get them where I wanted. In other cases I could try all of the external adjustment possible, but still not get the light, clean break I was looking for. In those cases it seemed to me that you would have had to take the trigger assembly out of the gun for component polishing to get what you wanted. And I really wasn't up for that.

So just a personal observation. As I said above I like Brocock guns. But even though they are under the same umbrella as Daystate, I don't feel that they have achieved Daystate consistency yet.

Curtis, maybe you are like me, and just have a natural bias against the bullpup platform, I certainly do. But, out of curiosity, I bought a Taipan Veteran, and it is now on my list of all-time best few rifles. It is accurate, great trigger, the best magazine system, and the quietest rifle I have (maybe with the exception of the Red Wolf, since it has no spring and hammer banging around). The Veteran has become my go-to rifle when the squirrels are on the attack. The FX Royale 400/500 is a rifle you might consider, and it has a three-level power wheel which you mentioned as desirable. Although I don't care for any of the newer FX rifles, the Royale is the original and, IMO, the best of the lineup. It has a solid smooth twist barrel, and simple, robust construction. 

I am fortuntate enough to own multiple Redwolfs, a Wolverine HP and multiple FX Crowns, despite my love of tinkering I ended up with Crowns (and IMPACTS) dedicated to a single caliber.

The Crown is in some ways the most versatlie of the bunch, but you can easily achieve a switch-barrel Redwolf set-up if you want to, the Wolverines only downside IMO is the fixed cheekpiece, but in fairness I find it perfect for use as it is so no big deal for me.

The three power curves of the Redwolf do indeed make the no tuning required an advantage and dont worry about the electronics or battery you would overcome that fear very quickly.

Only one I dont own is a Brocock, I have shot them but to me it's simply a Daystate pitched at a different price point in the market place and thats fine.

Truthfully I am not sure I could ever chose between just a Redwolf or a Crown, for a start the Redwolf isn't availible with a yellow stock LOL, both are most importantly extremely comfortable when shooting from the bench and it appears that will be a lot of what you do as well!

Sorry guys if it came off like a troll. Just trying to have some fun. FX makes some fine guns and comes out with a lot of innovations. People have preferences. Some good. Some bad. There is subjectivity in someone's preferences. Do I like Fx? No. Does that mean they are bad guns? For me it does. If someone else has a fantastic experience with them, which there are many, then awesome. It is true that FX has done a great job in sponsoring the very top of the very top in YouTube content, and the Impact certainly gets a lot of screen time as a platform. I think the Impacts marketing is so good that many believe it is the best of the best because of that content. Maybe it is. I don't think so. Having shot both Daystates and FX, I have to say that Daystate is a much better made rifle. Whenever I've had the ability to handle an FX Crown, its ergonomics seem nice. I am more concerned about dependability than most I suppose coming from powder burning and all. My friends that have FX rifles always have them breaking before any range day even happens. These breaks that happen are easy fixes they say. But they never fix them on the spot. I have noticed a trend that the older FXs seem to be more reliable, like the gen 1 Wildcat, but having not bought into the product I can't be sure. One more positive: tuneability of the Impact is obviously incredible. Every weakness in a gun usually has a corresponding strength: for Fx that comes with a lot of tuneability. 

So my now not so subtle and subjective suggestion is that you call AoA and ask about the Daystate Redwolf. Heck they are more experienced with guns then anyone on here: ask them what they think of the Redwood vs Crown.

Thanks guys for all the help and knowledge. Little more about me and planned usage. I do quite a lot of powder burner shooting. Mainly long range precision , I also have a 22lr trainer. I’ve always used my air rifles as a cheap way of practice. I can sit on the front porch of my cabin and can practice as long as I want and it doesn’t cost much and I get a lot of trigger time. I will be using this rifle mainly for that. Don’t really plan on sitting at a bench and shooting as the main Purpose. All that being said I do want a rifle that will shoot MOA out to 50yds and close at 100yds. Which I’m assuming all these will .

Thanks guys for all the help and knowledge. Little more about me and planned usage. I do quite a lot of powder burner shooting. Mainly long range precision , I also have a 22lr trainer. I’ve always used my air rifles as a cheap way of practice. I can sit on the front porch of my cabin and can practice as long as I want and it doesn’t cost much and I get a lot of trigger time. I will be using this rifle mainly for that. Don’t really plan on sitting at a bench and shooting as the main Purpose. All that being said I do want a rifle that will shoot MOA out to 50yds and close at 100yds. Which I’m assuming all these will .

All these rifles will do this to 100yrds. What kind of powder burning rifles do you use? Have you seen the AGT Uragan rifle? Really nice as well.

Keep your expectations realistic. MOA at 100 yards is no easy assignment. I've owned some very fine air rifles, all standard power, and none could consistently shoot MOA at 100 yards. If this is your goal, you need to be looking strictly at HP rifles. 

Keep your expectations realistic. MOA at 100 yards is no easy assignment. I've owned some very fine air rifles, all standard power, and none could consistently shoot MOA at 100 yards. If this is your goal, you need to be looking strictly at HP rifles.

Very true statement. 

From chaigun, an 18 grain pellet at 910 fps with a 49 yrd zero. Just 1mph crosswind, which is barely noticeable. Will push the pellet 1.4 inches off at 100 yards.

That said, with my Royale with above tune. Could swat 2" apples off the tree at 97 yards. Moa at 100 with a pellet is more of quest than a regular occurrence. Still fun getting there. Think more like a 338 at 1000.

Totally understand that MOA at 100 is hit and miss. My 22lr training rifle is hit and miss at 100.

Like RJ said about shooting the PCP at a 100 is like shooting a 338 at 1000 is exactly what I’m thinking. The environmental effect is what I like practicing , and kind of the reason for the rifle (along with fun) in the first place. Reading wind plays such a big factor in the long range shooting I do .
I just want to make sure I’m purchasing the right equipment. When we’re talking $2500 for a compressor and another $2500 for a rifle it not a small investment for me.