• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trying to decide FX, Daystate,Brocock

About to make the jump to a PCP . I’ve had springer my whole life. Still own a TX200 and RWS34 Both in .22. I think I have it narrowed down my choices between a FX crown, Daystate wolverine, or a Brocock XR magnum. Maybe a Redwolf.
I know all the rifles have good reputations. It seems like a lot of people have problems with FX guns which gives me pause. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of info out there on the Brocock but it seems to be everything I’m looking for . The only thing I dont like about the Daystate Wolverine is that there isn’t a power selection which is something I think I want. Other than I’m not sure I need more than a 30fpe rifle. The Redwolf seems to be the answer other than very pricey and I’m not sure I want a rifle that relies on a battery . Racking my brain trying to learn everything I can and make a decision.

I’ve had all three brands and the only ones that I still own are the Brocock XR and Redwolf HP. My Brocock has been pretty flawless and it’s built like a tank. The RW has been back to AOA twice for warranty repairs which they have stood behind. AOA is a good dealer BTW. I had a XR magnum which was a good gun but too long for tight woods hunting so I opted for the standard length Sniper XR. It’s plenty to take pigeons and squirrels with out to a 120 yards.

The power wheel is handy but with every change in the wheel comes a shift in pellet POI so it’s not as simple as turning the wheel without re-zeroing the scope.

What do you plan to use the rifle for? Hunting or punching paper?

Get the Daystate Renegade in 22 regular or HP if you don't want potential but rather rare warranty trips. No regulator needed if going 177 or 22.

Get the Bantam series of guns their side folders are my favorites. Except the unregulated 25 caliber don't got the Harper patented slingshot system.

Taipan Veteran if going 25 specifically. I got all 177 22 25 all shorties the 25 is consistant MOA accurate at 100 yards with JSB Kings and Polymags.

Actually all of my Veterans are accurate enough for me that I only purchased ONE OF EACH and have no plans on getting duplicates of the Veterans as I normally do with my airguns in the quest for the best most accurate barrel out of the bunch. FACT you can have a dozen of the same caliber guns and maybe 1 or if lucky 2 will be noticibly more accurate and shoot $hitty reject JSB pellets (not the better shooting lot batches) REALLY good straight from their tins. THESE shoot pretty much everything straight! Not pellet picky like the majority of the same lesser barrel lottery guns you buy.

One out if my 6 Daystate Renegades in 22 drills the same hole at 40 yards using cheap Crosman CPHPs from Wal-Mart straight from their tins looks like only shooting 10 yards it's the best shooting JSB forgiving barrel even rejects from sub par lot batches. The other 5 won't do it. Not with anything tried and produce a ragged hole like a 9mm hole at best with different ammo like good lot batch JSB 15.9 and 18.1. The 22 Renegade quest is now over here.

1. Rifle uses are probably 70% shooting 30% hunting. I get that the power adjustment will change POI. My thinking was plinking in my backyard on low power then switching to high when headed to more open spaces. Another thing I’m worried about is noise. I’m not sure how loud the pcp rifles are with a moderator on them. Are they backyard friendly? Quieter than my tx200?
    [/LIST=1]

Well, I have a new Daystate Wolverine R and, though I've had it less than two weeks, really like it. Makes tiny groups at 23 yards (just happens to be the distance from my rest out to the target). Haven't had it long, but I have collected some data.

Here's what I've found:

GTO Lead-free, 11.75 gn pellets, the avg velocity of 10 was 950.0 fps - producing 23.55 ft-lbs of energy.

Crosmand Premier Ultra Mag, 14.3 gn pellets, the avg velocity of 10 was 934.3 fps - producing 27.76 ft-lbs of energy.

H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.3 gn pellets, the avg velocity of 10 was 785.3 fps - producing 29.3 ft-lbs of energy.

--------------------------------------

I don't have an FX Crown, but I do have an FX Royale 400 (bought it back on 2/22/17) that is an absolute tack driver and hits HARD, I've never done anything to it, except air it up and shoot. I have some data for it, too;

It has 3 power settings,

on the high power setting:

For the H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.3 gn pellets, the avg velocity of 10 was 834.5 fps - producing 32.94 ft-lbs of energy.

on the medium power setting:

For the H & N Sport Baracuda Match, 21.3 gn pellets, the avg velocity of 10 was 627 fps - producing 18.37 ft-lbs of energy.

I keep it on high power and it flat out does a number on the squirrels around my yard that like to chew up my bird feeders.

BTW, I have an Air Arms TX200, too. Sometimes it's just nice to shoot and not have to watch the pressure and fool around with air tanks, hoses, and what not. (I also have a Diana Model 48, Diana 460 Magnum, all 22's - my PCP's sure don't rock me like my springers do.)

You mentioned you didn’t want to depend on a battery. Don’t get the impression these Daystate batteries need frequent charging. They don’t. I don’t remember what Daystate’s specs are but I think it’s in the thousands of shots before a charge is needed. I used to think about that some but it really doesn’t cross my mind any more. Maybe charge em up once a year or every 6 months - something like that. Just sayin. Lots of good choices as has been mentioned. Try to pick what goes with your intended use. 

You mentioned you didn’t want to depend on a battery. Don’t get the impression these Daystate batteries need frequent charging. They don’t. I don’t remember what Daystate’s specs are but I think it’s in the thousands of shots before a charge is needed. I used to think about that some but it really doesn’t cross my mind any more. Maybe charge em up once a year or every 6 months - something like that. Just sayin. Lots of good choices as has been mentioned. Try to pick what goes with your intended use.

Haven't charged mine in 8 months and it's been left outside on the ground in the snow on several occasions. I was one that hated the thought of electronic rifle but have to say the Daystate Safari has exceeded my expectations far beyond. 

Hey, rippid, unless you're dead set on the PCP's you mentioned, you may want to check out the Air Venturi Avenger. The YouTubers who've reviewed all seem to be amazed at the quality, accuracy and adjustably of this $300 PCP. In fact, today I bought one in .25. I, too, was amazed at what I saw this PCP do on YouTube.

Here's are a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3PmRBnj94

(I bought mine from this guy, Donnie, of Baker Firearms)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpqxKYmHRm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ9P1vT6XDg&t=554s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXp2U4KV4UM

Did you get the Gen2 Avenger?

If not disregard. Never mind. I have been waiting for the Gen2 to buy that's all.

I didn't know there was a Gen2, so I guess mine is a Gen1.

I stayed away from them because of the history of it's predecessor and the issues regarding leaks and reg problems it had. In a few generations maybe some of that will be taken care of. Gen 4 maybe