Other Truth behind Macavity Arms Prototype Airgun

With an under $500 price point, I walk you through my trials and tribulations of the new budget friendly PCP. No BS, just the FACTS.

Macavity ARMS .22 Caliber Airgun : New kid on the block
Nice review! Downside is not only new GUN but new COMPANY. At that price point, a better bet in my opinion is Avenge-X, Airacuda Max and XM1 Ranger

Reactions: Airgun Al
I have one in 22 cal also and I’ve been nothing short of impressed so far.. it does say made in PRC “people’s republic of china” I’m assuming.
The build quality and machining of this rifle is miles ahead of the AV avenger.
It is built like a tank ! A finely machined tank at that!
The quality of the rifle is close to the level of my RTI prophet and for $304 to my door that’s some feat for sure..
I know it’ll never perform at the level of my prophet but it’s apples and oranges.

Having owned most of the budget rifles through the past years , this one is on a whole different level completely.

Im not buying the hype. supposed to be 1 moa and looks like a shotgun pattern??? my air cuda standard shoots half in. groups at 50 yds. all ive done is adjust trigger with new trigger screws. ill be waiting few years to see if they work out there bugs and issues. also comes with moderator super loud with out[110 decibels],,,,and does'nt shoot well with mod??? :cautious: yes ill be waitn a bit personally!

Reactions: Trucker3573
I have one in 22 cal also and I’ve been nothing short of impressed so far.. it does say made in PRC “people’s republic of china” I’m assuming.
The build quality and machining of this rifle is miles ahead of the AV avenger.
It is built like a tank ! A finely machined tank at that!
The quality of the rifle is close to the level of my RTI prophet and for $304 to my door that’s some feat for sure..
I know it’ll never perform at the level of my prophet but it’s apples and oranges.

Having owned most of the budget rifles through the past years , this one is on a whole different level completely.
How did you get the price of $304 ?
Did you get a preproduction model at 40% off ?

Reactions: Stubbers
How did you get the price of $304 ?
Did you get a preproduction model at 40% off ?
Yes, I ordered the genesis version “short model”.
It was $280 plus shipping.

I had it apart the other day to give everything a once over & I’d have to say that this is the cleanest air rifle I’ve ever disassembled out of the box.. especially in the category of cheap Chinese guns.

What I mean is that it didn’t have the typical gobs of grease or the appearance that it had been hastily slapped together.

I also didnt have to de-bur a single thing while reassembling the rifle, ( to keep from nicking o-rings ) which was great!

Should’ve took pics, I know…

Now I’m gonna have to do just that to back up my mouth lol.

Yes, I ordered the genesis version “short model”.
It was $280 plus shipping.

I had it apart the other day to give everything a once over & I’d have to say that this is the cleanest air rifle I’ve ever disassembled out of the box.. especially in the category of cheap Chinese guns.

What I mean is that it didn’t have the typical gobs of grease or the appearance that it had been hastily slapped together.

I also didnt have to de-bur a single thing while reassembling the rifle, ( to keep from nicking o-rings ) which was great!

Should’ve took pics, I know…

Now I’m gonna have to do just that to back up my mouth lol.
We look forward to them !
Definitely show us groups and thr like I love seeing good new pcp rifles. Great time to be airgunning

Reactions: Rvaughn
Ok here ya go…

Things I like - all aluminum, well thought out design and construction.
The only plastic is the stock “ which is cheap and somewhat flimsy but serves its intended purpose “

The trigger group housing and the transfer port itself are plastic also, none of which I see an issue with imo.

The barrel threads into the breech and then is tensioned by the shroud. On top of that it has a robust “aluminum “ barrel band and is threaded 1/2-20 for a moderator.
I don’t see wandering POI being an issue if the barrel can shoot!

I really like the alignment pins in the lower hammer housing that help with re-installing the breach.

Side lever is easy and smooth to operate outa the box but it has a long throw to it.
Some might take issue with but it doesn’t bother me at all.

Trigger is not bad, I do plan on adjusting it later on.

Mags function when firing without any issues so far “probably a hundred rounds in”
They are not the best design to load as some pellets need to be seated with an Allen wrench and some fall through the mag.. hopefully CARM can resolve that issue.

Light weight and short makes for a handy rifle in the field.

Shot cycle is a loud unmoderated. Therefore it leads me to believe the rifle is most likely wasting air and shot count may suffer as a result.
Although this may just be typical for 30fpe with a 17” barrel.

Super easy to disassemble and reassemble, only need 3 Allen wrenches to do so.

Here’s a few pics of the rifle partially disassembled… enjoy

IMG_6417.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6419.jpeg

IMG_6420.jpeg

IMG_6421.jpeg

IMG_6422.jpeg

IMG_6424.jpeg

IMG_6425.jpeg

IMG_6426.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

IMG_6428.jpeg

With a name like that I genuinely thought this thing was an April fools joke or something when I saw the first video pop up on YouTube.
According to the owner from the poem (& books?)
Beginning:
Macavity's a Mystery Cat: he's called the Hidden Paw -
For he's the master criminal who can defy the Law.
He's the bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad's despair:
For when they reach the scene of crime – Macavity's not there!

End:
And they say that all the Cats whose wicked deeds are widely known
(I might mention Mungojerrie, I might mention Griddlebone)
Are nothing more than agents for the Cat who all the time
Just controls their operations: the Napoleon of Crime!
Same owner of Sekhmet. Did just sell of the originals at 40% off and making a good number of changes on next run.
As money is tight personally I would wait and see what's what in a year before jumping on one.

John

Reactions: Macros and Rvaughn
According to the owner from the poem (& books?)
Beginning:
Macavity's a Mystery Cat: he's called the Hidden Paw -
For he's the master criminal who can defy the Law.
He's the bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad's despair:
For when they reach the scene of crime – Macavity's not there!

End:
And they say that all the Cats whose wicked deeds are widely known
(I might mention Mungojerrie, I might mention Griddlebone)
Are nothing more than agents for the Cat who all the time
Just controls their operations: the Napoleon of Crime!
Same owner of Sekhmet. Did just sell of the originals at 40% off and making a good number of changes on next run.
As money is tight personally I would wait and see what's what in a year before jumping on
Cuckoo for cocoa puffs!

Ugh! Sounding pretty good so far!
So, soon you'll be providing us with performance stats? I'm anxious and curious.
Thanks!

I had a little free time to test my rifle a bit the other day.. however, I’ll preface by saying that I performed the tests using only one pellet (JSB 15.9 grains) at one fps setup ( 825 FPS/ 25ish FPE )
This is a good baseline I feel since it’s a generally good performing pellet.

All groups were shot at 50yds off of bags.

I did have to back off the hammer spring a good bit from out of the box settings for these pellets.

I do believe I’ve discovered some of the issues with this rifles poor accuracy that others have experienced in their reviews of this rifle..

My conclusion is that the rifle can be accurate without a moderator or without the barrel band but accuracy goes to hell in a hand basket real quick when both are in place!

I didn’t achieve the 1 MOA standard that the manufacturer claims however we all know that accuracy can be greatly improved when you find the projectile and fps that best suits the rifle.

For my little experiments I shot 5shot groups in each of the following configurations @ 50yds.
- w/o the moderator & w/o the barrel band
- with the mod & w/o the barrel band
- w/o the mod & with the barrel band
- with mod & with barrel band
- with 0db mod & with barrel band

IMG_6431.jpeg

IMG_6433.jpeg

IMG_6429.jpeg

IMG_6432.jpeg

IMG_6437.jpeg