Trouble with stuck deadheads

Assembled and tested a couple elbows, tool marks and all. Installed the right deadhead to check for leaks. It was a little snug fit. After testing I could not move the female fitting sleeve and the deadhead won't budge.??? Okay, tested the deadhead on the left easy fit... held pressure. However, deadhead and female sleeve won't budge either. Please advise (on bended knee).

20230506_183438.jpg

wiggle wiggle wiggle.....wiggle some more, all while making sure you're pushing/pulling the knurled retaining ring away from the dead head, to "open" it as much as possible.

Tolerances across all these pcp fittings are horrible. Even with the good stuff (non-ebay/amazo).

If you get it out of there, don't ever test this combination again cuz it'll just get stuck again.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
May be a dumb question but are you pushing down on the deadhead plug as you are attempting to slide down the collar? If not, do so. Might even apply a small clamp across the assembly to free up your hands to move the collar.
Tried to push down. I'll try it in a vise tomorrow. My friend "Arthur" isn't helping at all.... arthritis.

wiggle wiggle wiggle.....wiggle some more, all while making sure you're pushing/pulling the knurled retaining ring away from the dead head, to "open" it as much as possible.

Tolerances across all these pcp fittings are horrible. Even with the good stuff (non-ebay/amazo).

If you get it out of there, don't ever test this combination again cuz it'll just get stuck again.
I won't do the deadhead again.... I just wonder will it do the same on my PCP , oil/water separator, or compressor?

I have reached in with a small diameter allen wrench or punch to depress the spring loaded valve in the one way fitting to release pressure. With such a small volume of air, not much worry about a huge jet of air coming out, but still go slowly. You can just tap it a few times to release small bursts.

I try to remember to never release a QD connector unless the sliding collar is very loose. Fortunately none that were under pressure ever gave way when I tried to release them when under pressure!

As for male QD connectors that are too tight of a fit on some female QD connectors, I spin them in a drill with some wet dry sandpaper to radius the sharp edges until they connect easily in the difficult connectors. None have ever leaked on me in the connectors that were not a difficult fit before the modification. Go slowly and stop as soon as they connect smoothly. Clean off all sanding residue and give a light coat of O-Ring grease.

Last edited:
I have reached in with a small diameter allen wrench or punch to depress the spring loaded valve in the one way fitting to release pressure. With such a small volume of air, not much worry about a huge jet of air coming out, but still go slowly. You can just tap it a few times to release small bursts.

I try to remember to never release a QD connector unless the sliding collar is very loose. Fortunately none that were under pressure ever gave way.

As for male QD connectors that are too tight of a fit on some female QD connectors, I spin them in a drill with some wet dry sandpaper to radius the sharp edges until they connect easily in the difficult connectors. None have ever leaked on me in the connectors that were not a difficult fit before the modification. Go slowly and stop as soon as they connect smoothly. Clean off all sanding residue and give a light coat of O-Ring grease.
PROBLEM SOLVED! Followed @Geezerhood recommendation. Allen wrench and a few taps of a mallet and a quick mini WOOSH! I'll pull the valves tomorrow.

The little project from hell. 3 weeks to make 2 elbow fittings. Returned all parts at least once for either poor machining, wrong size, or to chase threads. Cancelled orders for elbows once before reordering due to failure to deliver. Finally got the parts and forgot to pull the valves.

Thanks all! Tired Chile....Tired!

Reactions: Wauzoo
As franklink stated, there is no “standard” dimension and tolerancing that manufacturers use. It appears they reverse engineer the fittings by measuring a sample and then assign their own tolerances. Works fine for their product line, but mating to other brands is hit or miss.
Unfortunately for the airgun community we source things like fosters from any number of vendors and God only knows who made them.
I have several that won’t mate.