• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trivia - Point Blank

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46449

I know there will be a few guys that already know this, but I'll bet there a re a whole lot more that don't. If you don't, trust me when I say you are NOT alone. Until just a few years ago, I would have argued the point all day long and been wrong.

We all hear and say, "point blank" when talking about a shot fired from a gun. TV, radio, a lot of books, and many other places say, "point blank" and mean at a very close range, usually within arm's length or even with the end of the barrel nearly touching the intended target. There are even quite a few of the online dictionary websites that will tell you that IS what it means. Unfortunately, that's not correct.

The true meaning of point blank is, "any distance over which a certain firearm can hit a target without the need to compensate for bullet drop". Basically a distance with a flat trajectory, although we all know a round fired from a powder gun actually will have a slight rise and drop depending on bullet weight, powder charge, etc, etc.

I found that to be kind of enlightening when I first learned it. I was just another guy that had heard the expression used, usually on TV shows or in movies, when they meant really close from gun to target. It took me a while to get it ingrained in my noggin, but I finally got it to stick. Now, when I hear that on a TV show or in a movie, it tweaks a little nerve in the back of my head. LOL!

The true meaning of point blank is, "any distance over which a certain firearm can hit a target without the need to compensate for bullet drop".
Would that not cover very close range and be correct terminology when people use it in movies? At arms length or the muzzle just inches away there would be no need to compensate for drop to hit the target correct? You would be in the point blank range of the cartridge making it the correct terminology. Thats my story;)

Would that not cover very close range and be correct terminology when people use it in movies? At arms length or the muzzle just inches away there would be no need to compensate for drop to hit the target correct? You would be in the point blank range of the cartridge making it the correct terminology. Thats my story;)

Hmmm. That's a perfectly logical point. I see exactly where you're coming from and I have to agree. That definition I posted should be amended to say:

"any distance over which a certain firearm can hit a target without the need to compensate for bullet drop and may include a shot fired from very close range"

That's not really a direct quote anymore, but maybe the place I got it from should amend their definition. It would be a more accurate description/definition if they did.

sematics :) lets make sure the horse is beat to death, because as ol' bill did say
"I did not have sex with that women"
but she had point blank evidence
there is more than one source for definitions,,,
"

Meaning of point-blank in English​

point-blank
adverb [ before noun ], adjective

US

/ˌpɔɪntˈblæŋk/ UK

/ˌpɔɪntˈblæŋk/

point-blank adverb [before noun], adjective (CLOSE)​

Point-blank shooting is done from a gun that is fired from extremely close to the target or when almost touching it:"

must be a slow gun news day so lets just go discuss word meanings,, especially those words that are meant to be a general statement, as not having definite line or boundary. I do not see the need for a box to fit everything into it
boundary lines and the 'paint by numbers' sets 'Last Supper' one look and everyone knows, it is a painting inside the lines, boring

Like I said, you can find places on the web that offer a slightly different definition. If you'll notice in the screenshot below from a Wiki page, they included a one line disclaimer noting that "in popular usage" it has come to mean at very close range. They didn't refute it, they made sure to mention it. The original meaning, and still technically correct, definition merely states the it is any range where the shot fired travels in a flat trajectory without the shooter having to compensate for bullet drop. That means that a shooter COULD be a block away, depending on the firearm in use and the weight of the projectile.

But, yes. It's all semantics. I was simply pointing out a piece of trivia that I found very interesting, mostly because I had always believed "point blank" to mean ONLY a round fired from arm's length or less. When I was informed what the original meaning was, I found it a neat piece of trivia. That's all.

Screenshot_20220921_132948-vi.png

The ability to hit the target for some pistol shooters seems to indicate that for them, there is no "point blank" range with a handgun. I remember shooting at a full sized paper torso target from 10 feet during a concealed carry class decades ago, even though the state at that time did not require any level of proficiency to get your permit. One person fired all the rounds from their pistol and not a single one was on the target.

As gun law crazy as Illinois is, the shooting requirements for a concealed carry are, "that you fire 30 rounds at three different distances. Ten rounds each are fired at 5 yards, 7 yards and 10 yards. Out of the 30 rounds, you must achieve 70% accuracy, which means 21 rounds must hit the black portion of the target". (Note that is says simply, hitting the black. It's a man sized silhouette!)

I never went ahead and got my concealed carry, but I have talked to a lot of guys that did. I think every guy I talked to told me there was at least one person in their class that could NOT pass the firing test. I do know for a fact that at least one person, in one class, couldn't even put 5 rounds on the target at 5 yards. What is REALLY scary is that person almost certainly took the test again, and maybe again, until they passed. Now, how safe do you feel knowing that type of person is now licensed and carrying in the general public with you?

It's just like drivers licenses in this state. There are 80, 90, and 100 year old people that have had their DLs renewed automatically online without any type of testing. I haven't taken a test, either written or driving, since I got my CDL about 25 or 30 years ago. My mother is 87 years old and still has a valid license. I'm trying like hell to convince my older sister to take the license and car keys away from her. She suffers from some mild dementia and sometimes has no idea who anyone is or where she is. I'll be the first person to say she has NO business still driving a car. Period. But, the State of Illness says all she needs to do is pay a fee every 4 years to renew her license. Crazy. Just give them some money and they'll be happy.