• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Tripod used on 2 legs?

I wanted to ask the community about this as I've seen alot of folks doing it. Can a tripod be used in a match(HFT) IF IT'S ONLY ON 2 LEGS WHEN IN THE SHOOTING POSITION? 

I have seen many guys using their tripod, BUT rock it back towards them raising the forward third leg off the ground making it a bipod. 

I was considering upgrading my fancy bamboo sticks for something a bit more civilized and wanted some light shed on this topic before committing to a bipod or tripod. 

Tanks, Jason 

This is an MD specific question. I say No if shoooting an AAFTA sanctioned match such as a Grand Prix event, maybe. The caveat being if the third leg(hehehe) is made inoperable(removed or pinned in place would be ideal, retracted not so much) for the duration of the match it may be used.

Otherwise in a monthly match it shouldn't matter. Except maybe in our specific situation. Our club gives a prize for first place in each class. So we try to follow the rules so none feel an unfairness has happened to keep them from winning.

Now my personal feelings. The reality is the rules say No tripod. They're is no exception for a tripod with one leg retracted/made inoperable. Were every MD willing to uphold the rule this wouldn't be question to ask.

As an upgrade what else will you use the tripod for? If it's going to spend more time as a pesting/plinking item maybe get a bipod for ft separately. 

As long as the third leg is removed, I don’t see where it would violate any rules. With the third leg attached however, the weight could act as a cantilever and may offer added stability. I look at it this way. The term used is bipod, meaning two feet. Removing the third leg of a tripod also removes the foot and makes it a bipod. By that same logic, leaving the leg on, shortened or not, adds the third foot and regardless if its being used, makes it a tripod by definition. If we stand in one leg we are still bipedal, a tripod with three legs is still a tripod. Thats how I would approach it in my matches, no rule violation unless three legs are attached. 

Also as a Match Director .... AAFTA rules state " NO TRIPODS" No need to read between the lines here or interpret a different meaning.

1 Ieg inoperable or removed, by design a potential 3 leg support is still a "tripod"

At a for fun match could really care less ... State / GP or Sanctioned event .. Certainly would not go looking for such an offense, but if protested by someone bringing it to the MD attention it would be enforced as the rule is written.

Scott S

SVFTC

@MRA & Motorhead..

so if a new shooter showed up with a tripod at your GP and there wasn’t a spare set of sticks he could use and another shooter felt it was to his disadvantage, you’d send the new guy home??

Likely the new shooter would be squadded with an experienced Hunter class shooter and would share his sticks. Or occasionally someone has a spare set of sticks to loan out for the GP. The MDs are there for a reason. Nobody wants to say you can’t shoot. I’ve shared items at matches as most shooters are willing to help out where need be.

There's always an extra set to be borrowed Dave. How new? Have they read the rules? Did they register ahead of time? If I suspect a new shooter has signed up ahead of time for a GP I suggest attending matches, reading the rule book in a supplied link and urge them to ask questions. If a new shooter shows up day of, I'll assess the situation presented and work my best to get them shooting. If a regular shooter shows up to a GP with a tripod I'll give them directions to the nearest sportings good store, maybe. 

Again this confusion rests on the shoulders of match directors letting people slide to keep them in a group/class they shouldn't. Making note of it in a match report would help too. At MRA we run an Unlimited class to keep this from being an issue at regular matches.

So far, this is another great discussion. I have recently been participating in some indoor matches this winter and had seen the tripod/bipod technique used. I suspected at a sactioned/GP event, the rules would be enforced as they should be.

I was considering the Primos Trigger Sticks(bipod) for my bamboo stick upgrade. I am shooting a PCP, but always encorporate my trusty Diana 36 springer into my practice. I always bring it for a backup. The springer does well off the bamboo as I think it has enough flex to allow the springer to do its thing. Was hoping the trigger sticks worked just as well for the spring piston rifles. 

I still have yet to make it to an outdoor event. The Covid sidelined me for first one and the rain shut down the next. Hopefully, the June 4th Brush Prarie WA event doesn't get rained out too. Oh, the PNW. 

And, the fancy bamboo sticks...I've left them long as I can use it like a tall monopod while standing too. For squirrels and such! 
20220302_130502.1653936732.jpg

I am glad this topic got brought up. I have shot for several years at club shoots with a tripod minus one leg. I never even thought that would be close to a rule violation. But I am glad to know it is to some. With the home grown attachments I have seen used I would not have guessed rigged sticks could be an infraction. I won't use them anymore I guess. It is a bummer how the store purchased bipods are flimsy today. At my last FT shoot my shooting partner loaned me a set of trigger sticks to try out. ( I haven't seen him since to pay for them) that may have been a way to try to keep me from being called out. 

anyway thanks for the question, and thanks for the ones that we're frank. 

Unlimited is great for the show up with a tripod situation. It’s such a great intro class. And some just want to play with as many aids as possible in their game. 
Personally, if someone shows up with the third leg removed and uses it as a bipod, and it still met the ‘fall when lifted’ rule, I’d feel comfortable that it met the intent of the bipod. If the third leg was still attached or even retracted, or even only used as a tripod when not shooting, I’d have to say it’s deemed illegal. And Unlimited class you go. 

Reactions: oldsparky
Also as a Match Director .... AAFTA rules state " NO TRIPODS" No need to read between the lines here or interpret a different meaning.

1 Ieg inoperable or removed, by design a potential 3 leg support is still a "tripod"

So, if I use this same logic then I can add a third leg to my 2 legged trigger sticks since it would still be a bipod? (Of course not). Maybe we should use the definition of bipod which is a 2 legged support. The definition doesn’t say anything about “potential” or what it started its life as. I agree that if it has 3 legs it is a tripod and should not be legal whether the third leg is used or not. But, if the device physically has only 2 legs then it’s by definition a bipod, which matches the AAFTA rules, and should be legal. 

Now thats just silly ...

If a Bipod gets a 3 leg, its a tripod .. so ZERO debate exists.

For those who sit back having keyboard opinions let me say this ... Until such a time as YOU step up into a voluntary position of a Match Director needing to define and enforce rules as there INTENT suggests, for those of us who do take this responsibility on, The noise of Interpretation outside intent is just that ... Noise

Not saying I'm right and not saying my outlook is wrong. For such events, THE Match Director and how He/ She interprets said rule infraction is Final.

Have a nice day ...

I may be dense because some things are hard to interpret. I will have no problem not using the tripod that I modified to use as a bipod to shoot hunter. At the time I tried to buy a trigger stick and they were unavailable so I rigged this. Now if I may ask a serious question. This was originally a tripod. I thought I would be legal with the modified tripod. What would be the difference In modifying a tripod into a bipod compared to say a rifle stock and barrel chopped and using it for a pistol. 

thanks

1E198B78-A4F1-4635-91D9-6910D29D53F8.1654277500.jpeg

I should have also said. I watch the match directors at the matches and realize that their job is time consuming and thankless. I appreciate that they do it. I would NEVER argue with them. On the forum it seems like we could discuss rule definitions without any confrontation or hurting any feelings. And at the end I realize we need rules and the MD discussion is final. 

thanks guys

While this thread may not get the attention it should in the direction I'm going to take it now ...

*Here is a ACCURACY and CONSISTENCY reason NOT TOO use a tri-pod as a bi-pod

VERTICAL ALIGNMENT from the legs feet touching the ground to place where Yoke or X cross is in contact with rifle is VERY very important !!!

May I suggest EVERYONE who shoots the Hunter Class in FT, as well any one who shoots with sticks of any design is TRY THIS AT HOME and see / understand what NON VERTICAL placement or points of contact of sticks can do ?

An elevated position that floats, or can be leaned forward of back while the feet remain in one position place the yoke or X cross in an ARC.

This ARC gets to it highest position ONLY when the legs of this support are perfectly vertical !!!! If the legs are vertical using a BI-POD any back & forth motion by shooter will maintain elevation stability very effectively. * If legs are LEANING ? ... as shooters position moves forward or back so will the ELEVATION change.

While this may be seen as a positive, it's not for ACCURACY reasons !!!! As gun cycles it can & likely will more forward or back and the POA will Change before the pellet leaves the barrel. IF ON VERTICAL LEG to RIFLE contact it won't.

** Now as too the Tripod used on 2 legs .....

If the legs were straight the X cross or yoke is now offset & no longer on a vertical plane with feet, and any forward of back motion will create the same effect as leaning legs do with a bi-pod.

Yes, if you had a plumb bob string hanging from X or yoke at rifles contact point to a ground position that is between the legs you could find true vertical ... Good luck with that however.

Just a bit of deeper conversation on the use of shooting sticks if your are after maximum accuracy potential.

Scott S

2X AAFTA National "Hunter" Champion ( 2017 2021 )