TRIPOD: Ballheads under $150?

Can you recommend
a BALLHEAD

▪ with Arca attachment (no saddle), that
▪ is strong enough to hold up a 10lbs rig,
▪ allows me to make shots at steep angles (say 60⁰ up),
and
▪ doesn't cost $150 or more?

I'm planning on a harvest pesting drive, and I'm looking at options....
Thanks! 😊

Matthias

PS:
Yeah, I'd also be looking for tripods that mount the gun at least 63" (160cm) high. Max. $150. Small collapsable length is important.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Hey buddy. I don’t have one, but I have watched the threads on here for quite a while. Most people suggest the 52 or 55mm heads, but others have been happy with 44mm. A popular one seems to be the Artcise or Innorel. The 52mm is currently $90 on Amazon. Says it holds 66lbs. Not sure I believe that, but it is high enough that it definitely holds our rifles, even loaded down. Many of these look the same and are probably made in the same plant.

Low Profile Ball Head Tripod Mount Ball Head 52mm Diameter ARTCISE LB52 All Metal CNC Machining with Two 1/4" Quick Release Plates for Tripod, Monopod, DSLR, Camcorder,Max Load 66lbs /30kg https://a.co/d/hAn9mB7

The one I have been considering getting is similar, but slightly differently. It has $20 off and is $109 right now in 55mm.

Low Profile Ball Head 55mm Tripod Ball Head WEYLLAN Heavy Duty 360 Panoramic Tripod Head, CNC Aluminium Alloy Tripod Camera Head for Tripod, with Two 1/4'' Quick Release Plates, Max Load 88.18lbs/40kg https://a.co/d/2FNLPv1

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
@JungleShooter Not sure what you're looking for, but I've been using this Innorel ball head for a couple of years now.

It holds my rifles just fine. You can see where I switched to this bullhead in post #15 of the thread linked below at the end of this post.

With my Innorel tripod, I've found that there is a little play in the adjustable center column. The higher you extend it, the more play you can feel. I've never tipped this tripod over. See link below. I also purchased a heavier and taller tripod (to emanate the center column) for a little more money. I use both. Innorel and Articise ballheads and tripods look identical to me in build.

Below is a link to a thread where I was getting used to using this setup.

Matthias, the ballheads are "popular" but nobody want to admit you will be always checking and chasing the bubble on the scope, whenever you release the break to reposition you will loose the bubble L-R.
I can suggest you start tinkering about other options.
Eliminate the L-R tilting (bubble running off).
Much more comfortable to work with gimbals or tilting heads.
Not sure if you have amazon in Peru but that would be the easiest purchase option right next to aliexpress if you have patience to wait.

Something like these, there are tons of options for every money, and these always comes with a arca swiss plate:

Reactions: Airgun Al
Matthias, unfortunately you missed the DEAL last week when these were going for $16!!! They're now $102 on Amazon & you can also get a Fanaue rifle clamp (look on Amazon) for about $44 keeping tripod and clamp around $150. I used my new setup yesterday & it worked GREAT. Would ABSOLUTELY support a 9 pound setup with no problems. (Got my clamp on ebay but same price on Amazon)

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Travel Tripod Kit, 90° Column, 4-Sections, Lightweight Aluminum, Compatible with Canon,Nikon,Sony DSLR, 360 Degree Ball Head, Quick Release Plate, 8KG Load Capacity with Carry Bag https://a.co/d/4RVZVQZ

20231224_103056.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, Dave, Smok3y, and Gerry for the links and pointers. 😊

YES, this is more the price level I had been looking for. — I got scared when guys where dropping $500 on a tripod. And then another $400 on a ballhead....! 😳

Now comes the feature of our beloved airgun forums that I find just awesome! — Someone uncovers a new perspective I hadn't seen in my ignorance.... 🔆

Matthias, the ballheads are "popular" but nobody wants to admit you will be always checking and chasing the bubble on the scope, whenever you release the break to reposition you will loose the bubble L-R.
I can suggest you start tinkering about other options: Eliminate the L-R tilting (bubble running off).
Much more comfortable to work with gimbals or tilting heads.

Atilla, thank you for bringing this up.
Somehow, I always keep seeing ballheads, and I see the amount of $$ people plunk down on them — this makes it look like these devices must reduce the difficulty of shooting to simply giving the gun a shove in the right direction and pulling the trigger....!

But Atilla says that whenever I change the ballhead the gun looses its levelness of left-right — it cants to the right or left and required to be leveled again — besides the obvious pointing in the right direction and at the right angle.

➠ Atilla present the two-way tilt heads as an alternative. They just go up and down, and rotate around the axis, but won't tilt the gun left or right.
So, WHY do not more shooters talk about this type of head, and buy this head?

Please, help me understand. What are the drawback of the two-way tilt head over the ballhead? Just that it is not in fashion?

Also, how is a "gimbal head" different than a "two-way tilt head"?

Thanks a lot, this is all very helpful. 👍🏼

Matthias

@bigHUN @JungleShooter As a hunter, I don’t pay the bubble level on the tripod any attention. If I use a level, the only one that concerns me is the level on the gun. Reason being is that the grounds where I shoot are rarely ever level so there’s no point for me to worry about the level of the tripod. The tripod needs to be firmly situated so I don’t have to worry about it moving on shaky or soft ground. The ball head can be tilted or adjusted to level the rifle. In a hunting scenario I’m most concerned about if the reticle appears level on my quarry and shooting within a range that I’m confident on taking an effective kill shot. I’m not in the habit of sending many wounded animals running to die a slow death. My take based upon my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smok3y and Gerry52
Well, Dave, one cool thing of the tripod with the two-way head seems to be — that once you level the tripod for once, you won't need to worry about your gun being level again, until you change the location of the tripod.
Because the two-way head will keep it level, because it's mounted on a tripod that is level.

Or am I understanding this incorrectly? 🤔

Matthias

Well, Dave, one cool thing of the tripod with the two-way head seems to be — that once you level the tripod for once, you won't need to worry about your gun being level again, until you change the location of the tripod.
Because the two-way head will keep it level, because it's mounted on a tripod that is level.

Matthias
@JungleShooter In the field I change locations, so it’s not always a set it and forget it situation. I’ve been posted in a thicket with my rifle mounted on a tripod and the animals came in, in an area I had not anticipated. I had to move the gun towards the animals. In that instance I took it off of the tripod. Other times I’ve picked the whole thing up and set it back down maybe 40-60 degrees to the right or left. I’ll also pick the whole rig up to transport it from one stand to another, gun and all still attached. I will then deploy the tripod (with gun attached) in a new location.

The level on my Innorel ball head is beneath the arca plate. I’m not removing my rifle just to look at it once I deploy the tripod again. I need to be prepared to shoot once I deploy the tripod. Also, while hunting at night it is counterproductive to shine a flashlight on a level to check its position. At this point I should know what feels right in terms of the rifle and tripod’s position(s) or I shouldn’t be out there. For me, this is the point of practicing. The video in this thread should give a decent illustration of some of what I’m alluding to.

The cool thing about the Innorel ballhead is that there is a large knob that can be turned quickly to make minute adjustments and re-tightened relatively swiftly to secure the new adjusted postion with practice. That is to say that speed comes with practice.

Last edited:
Leofoto has a 20% off special and if you inquire via email with the exact products you are interested in there is a good chance they have a “open box” version (basically new with full warranty) available at an additional 15% off give or take which works out to be a great deal on some decent quality products with a great 10 year warranty.

I have probably over ten tripods some old over twenty years. The latest two are CF Leofoto, I have a high confidence into this brand.

JungleShooter

Really no need to overthink the gimbal/tilt head. Yes there are people here @ AGN using these but maybe busy with families over the Holiday season, they my chime in wait couple days.
I am shooting my L2 of a tripod (with gimbal) for target up to 70 meters, and the tilt head I use on my one-piece rest I built for 100-200 BR for my Impact.

20230316_124213.jpg

20230316_110341.jpg

20230411_112641.jpg

20220326_213919.jpg

Last edited:

Matthias
Matthias, IF you're only shooting targets off a perfectly level table (competition) the gimbal is great, I get that. I hunt properties where the ground is RARELY level. I'm like Dave (Ezana4ce), when my crosshairs look vertical to me I'm really close to on the money & working with the ball head the other day it was VERY easy to lock things where I wanted it. With a 2 axis gimbal on uneven ground there's no guarantee that Swinging the gun left or right, it won't be canted at the end of Horizontal axis. Make sense? With the ball, soon as my crosshairs look vertical it locks in quickly with a turn of a knob.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
@JungleShooter I think it would be helpful to know details about your shooting environment. Will you be seated behind you tripod shooting from an area with a level surface/ bench on level ground (like how some dairies have concrete floors)? Will you be moving around the pesting area(s) to uneven ground (dirt, grass, etc) that you are unfamiliar with?

IMO it boils down to what type of shooting you are doing and where. If you are shooting multiple shots from a fixed location and don't mind extra weight and setup time you can't beat a good gimbal or pan tilt head combined with a leveling base. Cheap gimbals have poor bearings that don't hold level when panning large angles, but can perfectly balance your gun. Moderately priced pan tilt heads don't have that problem but don't perfectly balance your gun.

Ball heads are lighter and faster to setup don't require a leveling base for easy use, but the gun CG is above the pivot and the gun wants to fall over. Your lucky if gun is balanced in one position. Every time you change your aim you have to check the level!