Trigger tuning - Over-travel

For best accuracy, do you guys prefer your trigger break to have minimal trigger over-travel, or lots of over-travel after it breaks?

My school of thought used to be that one needed some over-travel(some even argue lots of over-travel is good) after the break so as to minimize the potential trigger impact of the shot due to lock time and the bullet traveling down the barrel. But given what I saw with the latest generation of long range precision shooters, I may have to change my mind.

Of all the triggers I have (FX, Timney, Geissele, TriggerTech), the TriggerTech’s frictionless trigger felt the best - almost zero over-travel. It also happens to be the most popular trigger being used by the long range precision competitors who shoot out to 1000/2000/3000 yards - powder burners of course.

So, do you guys prefer minimal over-travel, or lots of over-travel?

I've never personally heard from anyone who wanted "over-travel". I always thought over-travel was just there (by design) to insure the sear releases. Any gun I have that has the provision for adjusting the "over travel" gets adjusted to just prior to the point that it won't fire. In fact I am today adding a set screw to a Hammerli 850 so I can do just that.

Additionally, I think minimal over-travel makes a lot of sense for airgunners especially, since our lock time, valve movements, airflow and pellet speed is a lot slower than centerfire rifles. The over-travel, no matter how much we can set, will not be long enough to allow the pellet to leave the barrel before we hit the end of the over-travel.

It is great to be able to adjust for over travel,for me it depends on the smoothness and weight of the trigger pull,the harder the pull the less the over travel..a good smooth trigger does not have much residence so there is a small transition .....sort of like letting "gas" out in company of others,you squeeze gently until the release and remember to follow trough ,what a relief it is to know you did not disrupt the flow.