Trigger sticks on Impact

Welcome to the world of FX triggers. It is indeed an odd design, but can actually work pretty well. You might have to increase the pull weight slightly to remove the sticky trigger, which is a common problem. But, you can improve the feel, and slightly lower the minimum weight required by removing and polishing the bearing surface of the trigger wheel, a very simple task. 

You are not alone.I have the same issue with the Crown trigger sticking on a rifle that was just days old. Other than polishing the trigger wheel as suggested which requires taking the trigger out of the gun, trial and error and a lot of patience is what it takes. Both the first stage travel and second stage work in unison with each other. if you adjust one, you will need to adjust the other. I found that the best remedy is turning in the second stage screw a hair at a time as well as the first stage. at some point, you will reach a point where the sticking is eliminated. However, the down side to this is that in most cases, the trigger pull weight is increased.So do you want a little heavier second stage or a sticking trigger? Myself personally I want the light trigger.In order to get this on my Crown, I have the trigger weight down to 10 ozs, but I have a "stick / stop" at the second stage which is quite definitive but good, as I know at that point, the next slightest pressure on the trigger it will fire. Not the way it should work, but works for me. Also, I have noticed that if you cock the gun and hold the lever back just a tad, the trigger will un-stick { if that is a word } don't know why. So just drink a few beers, calm your nerves and have at it! One other point, I have found out that while it is easier to adjust the trigger while the gun is out of the stock, you CAN if you wish, adjust then trigger without removing it from the stock. and risk losing the minute ball bearings and springs in the hammer spring knob.The second stage screw is pretty accessible thru the trigger guard. The first stage is harder ,and takes an allen wrench that the " L" portion has been shortened to allow access. Don't try this method if you do not have the patience

Good Luck

Lefty, Cajun1024, I am soooo happy to see this 😀. I have a new Crown Continuum, purchased May 5th, which has a sticking trigger. As the OP said, the trigger actually works fine (or at least, the second stage does) but it was still a little bothersome. Now I feel more relaxed. I tend to prioritize a light trigger so I may just leave it as is, but its good to know that if I want to change it there is a path.

Even better, there is a path that involves a couple of beers to calm ones nerves 😂

Chris

What’s the best way to polish the trigger wheel? I’ve spent hours trying to get a good 2-stage pull on my Impact with no luck. I’ve watched Newman’s video on trigger adjustments a few times and was hoping for a more systematic approach for tuning the trigger.

I use 3M polishing cloth laid over a flat surface, then rub the wheel over the cloth using a rotating motion, as it rotates in use. It doesn't take long to get a mirror finish. Polish both surfaces, where it rotates through the first stage, and where it releases the hammer. That angle needs to stay true, but you aren't really removing metal, so it shouldn't be an issue, just keep both wheel surfaces flat against the cloth and the hard flat surface supporting it. The first stage area of the wheel will help with the sticking issue, but the light end of second stage weight will always result in that sticking. If you are shooting strictly from the bench, you can adjust all the first stage travel out, and get a very light release weight. But, at that point you have the trigger wheel right on the edge of releasing the hammer, so it would not be safe in general use. I really don't care for the bastard design of these triggers, but I must admit, it is a cost effective system that uses few parts, and can produce a decent trigger action. 

Is it sticky as in initially won’t fire and then on a second attempt fires? I ask the question because sometimes Impact trigger issues are related to a slight bend in the pin on the trigger block. 
On cocking the gun the shear doesn’t fully engage the hammer. This changes the way the trigger feels and works. It could just be an adjustment issue but the bent cocking pin is a fairly common problem. 

Hi,

I have a Crown that suddently got sticky too after a couple of months use. 

I took all the trigger parts out and polished and degreased completely.

I used a tiny squeze of graphite powder to "lubricate the moving parts when i reassembled the trigger.

Then did the simple addjustment like above. 

Please remember to check the safety that it still works. You might get it set so it can fire on safety.

If that is the case then the safety screw must be turned a bit further in too.

I now shot +10000 shots without further adjustment and still no stickyness and I have a clear crisp trigger.

Claus