• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trigger Second Stage Adjustments for Impact

Hi people, ive noticed that the first stage on my trigger will not return after taking it up, trigger just remains ready to break 2nd stage.

I can work around this but would like it to return so that if i have to refuse the shot it will reset and give me first stage for my next attempt.

The weight of the trigger feels fine, by getting the first stage return back would i have to increase the trigger pull weight?

Thanks in advance

The short answer is yes, at least if it is substantially similar to my Royale. These FX triggers work well, but it's a strange design. I disassembled mine and polished all the bearing surfaces. It might have helped a little. I also replaced the first stage spring with a lighter one, again, maybe a little help. My first stage stop is about 6 ounces, and let off is around 10. You can adjust out all the first stage travel and set it up as single stage. That might achieve a let off weight of 6-7 ounces. But, the trigger is not really designed to operate that way, and I would not use it in the field. Some folks leave it as yours is operating, just push the trigger forward if you don't take the shot. 

Lubricate (and polish if you have the equipment) the trigger roll under the blade that connects to the sear bar a little bit so that won't give you as much friction. This will not completely solve the problem but it helps.

Also screw in the second stage adjustment screw something like 1/8 of a turn and it should be fixed. You can barely (probably not at all) feel the difference in the let off of the trigger but it's probably set that sharp that the trigger won't let it reset itself.

Toucan, turn the front-most screw counter clockwise a little at a time as you keep cocking and dry firing your gun. At a certain point this will allow the spring to return the trigger blade to the forward position correctly...however, doing this will increase the first stage travel significantly. (when I say dry fire I mean to pull the trigger while catching the cocking lever with other hand).

The second stage break should be fine and usually does not require any adjustment. But if you do play with the other screws be very careful, because you can cause a dangerous situation where just bumping the gun can cause it to fire. I strongly recommend you leave the other screws alone if you are not sure what you are doing.

All the best, CHUCK

Reactions: sonny
Toucan, turn the front-most screw counter clockwise a little at a time as you keep cocking and dry firing your gun. At a certain point this will allow the spring to return the trigger blade to the forward position correctly...however, doing this will increase the first stage travel significantly. (when I say dry fire I mean to pull the trigger while catching the cocking lever with other hand).

The second stage break should be fine and usually does not require any adjustment. But if you do play with the other screws be very careful, because you can cause a dangerous situation where just bumping the gun can cause it to fire. I strongly recommend you leave the other screws alone if you are not sure what you are doing.

All the best, CHUCK

Chuck, it sounds like the OP's trigger has plenty of first stage travel, it's just not returning forward when pressure is released. If he wants to maintain first stage travel (keeping a two stage trigger), then I believe the only way to do that is by adjusting the second stage release weight, and perhaps some polishing of the bearing surfaces of the trigger roll. It is a bit of an odd trigger design, but it can work fine at a field trigger release weight. My impression, the OP may want a bit lighter pull than the design allows, assuming maintaining a functioning two-stage operation. I replaced the first stage return spring in mine, which might very slightly lighten the release weight, but it exacerbates the problem of returning the first stage. Not a match trigger, but simple and reliable. 

This thread made me curious about my Royale 400 trigger, so I got it out and did some measurements, seems I actually got it a little lighter than I remembered. The first stage stop is about 4 ounces, and let off averaged 8.4 ounces. For my taste, it is a very good all around trigger. I prefer something lighter for target shooting, especially in warm weather, but I have other rifles for that use. If I hunt in cold weather, I would probably make it a bit heavier, which is easy. 

Toucan's complaint is that, "ive noticed that the first stage on my trigger will not return after taking it up". I had the same problem on my own Impact and have seen this problem on several others also. The problem is that when you pull back on the trigger to take up the first stage, but then let off, it stays to the rear and the spring will not return it to the forward position... when it gets stuck to the rear you have to physically push it back to the forward position. By turning the front screw counter-clockwise to the correct position it will allow the trigger to return to the forward position if you pull it back but then let off it without taking the shot.

elho0102, in your advice to Toucan you say, "But, the trigger is not really designed to operate that way, and I would not use it in the field. Some folks leave it as yours is operating, just push the trigger forward if you don't take the shot."

Telling Toucan to just "push the trigger forward if you don't take the shot" doesn't help him solve his problem. You tell him to modify his trigger but then admit that it "is really not designed to work that way and I would not use it in the field". If he can't use his Impact "in the field" with your modification, there where can he use it?

elh0102 I think you should stop giving out advice about how to modify the Impact trigger if you don't really know what you are doing. Your advice could very easily lead to an unsafe and/or very dangerous situation. What you are saying to do may cause the Impact trigger to become a "hair" trigger that can easily let go all by itself when modified the way you describe. Maybe you should call the FXUSA repair department and ask for their opinion on your modification.

All the best, CHUCK

Thanks for your critique on my advice Chuck. The risk of setting up the trigger as discussed was why I was clear in stating it was not designed to operate in that manner, and that I would not use it in the field that way. I stood beside Ernest at FX USA while he adjusted a trigger in exactly the manner described, and as he does in a video. He also makes clear the design intention, and warns that you make such adjustment at your own risk. Whether I know what I'm doing or not can, I suppose be argued, but many believe I do. 

To the OP, Chuck's point is well taken and should be considered as you work on your trigger. And I will also mention this, when I hunt with any air rifle, I do not use or trust the safety, but chamber and cock only when ready to shoot. If I don't take the shot, I either waste the pellet, or decock the rifle on it. 

The following video by Ernest Rowe shows exactly how to adjust the Impact trigger...note how he adjusts the front screw in the beginning of the video. If your trigger sticks at the rear position and the return spring does not return it properly just adjust the front screw counter- clockwise until it does. See ya next video... 😂 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDFm9Hqur0