Treed Whistle pig

Got him this AM sitting in a tree. Two shots under the chin did him in. Hit the ground and never moved. AEA SS Hades 22 cal 15.89.

09 11 23 .jpg

Yep they clinb trees and growl like a dog. This one was run up the tree by my dog. I noticed him looking up in the trees when I spotted it.
@Sicumj After your post I looked it up and saw that they climb to evade predators and to go after food like fruit and leaves. They growl too? Damn!! I’ve never seen one and don’t know much about them. Most of what I’ve learned is from people like yourself on AGN. If you see that again, can you take a pic?

@N2 Shooter and @Sicumj - be careful on the lows! Anything below 70 can kill brain cells and they don't come back! I am a tenured diabetic (37 years) and try to keep my A1C low but have to be careful about lows. And the first few lows it was like taking LSD (not that I would know! LOL).

Always have a snickers with me out in the field!!!

Reactions: N2 Shooter
@N2 Shooter and @Sicumj - be careful on the lows! Anything below 70 can kill brain cells and they don't come back! I am a tenured diabetic (37 years) and try to keep my A1C low but have to be careful about lows. And the first few lows it was like taking LSD (not that I would know! LOL).

Always have a snickers with me out in the field!!!
You ain't never lied! Over 34 years, I have had far too many situations with low blood sugars. Thank God for the OmniPod insulin pump and Dexcom G6 continuous glucose monitor combo, as this has practically eliminated low blood sugar without limiting tethers, tube or cables and such. Here it is right in my latest video review, and most didn't even know what it was! 😃

Screenshot_20230913_191344_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Pfddi
Combined with a CGM like @N2 Shooter has (Dexcom 6) and I have (Dexcom 7) it should do a good job for you. Here are some things to look out for:
- calibrate your cgm device often with your blood meter. I've had swings of over 60 points between the CGM and the blood meter and in both directions!
- trust your feelings and work with them. Everyone has certain signals when they are going low, so never ignore them and if the CGM is higher, then test your blood!
- know what your food intake is and what your "normal" insulin dose is and you can compare that against the CGM/pump to judge your dosage

Sorry to hijack your treed whistle pig! We don't have them were we live, but I can go after prairie dogs in the western part of the state, but have never seen one in a tree! LOL

Reactions: N2 Shooter