• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Traveling to long distance Benchrest events.

How do you get all your equipment to a distant match? Not easily drivable.
Guns, Rests, Bags, Wind flags, Tools etc.
That's a lot of stuff to check on a airplane. If you even allowed?
How do you pack for travel? Possibly a ridgid wood crate on a skid?

Lots to figure out.

Thanks for any advice,
Mark
Train is easier 🤷‍♂️

How do you get all your equipment to a distant match? Not easily drivable.
Guns, Rests, Bags, Wind flags, Tools etc.
That's a lot of stuff to check on a airplane. If you even allowed?
How do you pack for travel? Possibly a ridgid wood crate on a skid?

Lots to figure out.

Thanks for any advice,
Mark
All of the gear you listed is allowed but will cost you to travel with. I had my dual vane flags custom made to be able to disassemble them and bought light weight stands for them. If your bags are filled with heavy sand you'll want to empty them and source sand at your destination, not only to save weight but to save a hassle at TSA or whatever org is responsible for airport security if you're traveling overseas. I had enough room on my baggage weight traveling back from Slovenia to leave the sand in my bag and the authorities there questioned what the "crystalline substance" was in my rear bag. Took a few minutes to explain! You'll need to notify the airline you plan to fly on that you are traveling with guns, even air rifles.
You have my contact info, please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
Todd

Reactions: dgeesaman
I am not sure what is a situation currently in US but CAD doesn't look good and I gave up travelling. I was archery competition for over a decade, after a surgery in '19 I started training in airguns, until the Covid time. That created a lot of mess and I just stopped with any planning.
Many events got cancelled and now trying to resurect the shooting sports but looks like people lost a confidence in many ways.
Flying out far away? Need a rental car, can you get them where you want or when you want?
Hotels, Motels, lodging reservations; wearing masks indoors, food and diet, beverages;
I would really like to go competing, but for instance I cannot cross the US border because I am not vaxed...
And the things.

Reactions: pbike257
All of the gear you listed is allowed but will cost you to travel with. I had my dual vane flags custom made to be able to disassemble them and bought light weight stands for them. If your bags are filled with heavy sand you'll want to empty them and source sand at your destination, not only to save weight but to save a hassle at TSA or whatever org is responsible for airport security if you're traveling overseas. I had enough room on my baggage weight traveling back from Slovenia to leave the sand in my bag and the authorities there questioned what the "crystalline substance" was in my rear bag. Took a few minutes to explain! You'll need to notify the airline you plan to fly on that you are traveling with guns, even air rifles.
You have my contact info, please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.
Todd
Hi Todd
Nice hearing from you. We discussed this before. I bought some of those break down wind flags. I have the same ones all glues up and use them all the time. I'll bring the break down version out to Raton this summer. Are you shooting the worlds this summer? If not we would love to see you out at the USARB Nationals and the N50 nationals in Raton NM in late August. Both national will be shot the same week. I'm very close to finalizing outdoor USARB matches at my home club in Harvard Ma.

Last edited: