Traveling by plane with pcp rifle

As the title suggests I would like to possibly make a trip to hunt iguanas in Florida at some point as it looks like a ton of fun from videos I've watched but I did have some questions and was hoping for people who have made a similar trip to share there opinions. I would probably bring one or two guns as well as a tank and perhaps my yong heng compressor if possible, but I'm not sure if this would be worth it as I'm not sure of the legality of doing so as well as the cost of transporting something that heavy on commercial airlines. Would it be smarter to ship my airgun supplies there separately via ups ground or something along those lines or to just avoid bringing the pump all together and just find an area where I can refill scba tank (which is unfortunately only a 30 minute tank) locally in Florida and stick around there? Also in regards to the trip is there any recommendations people have as far as hunting spots available to the general public perhaps with nice places around with activities to do in my downtime while I'm visiting. Finally is there a permit required for out of staters that want to hunt iguanas in Florida? Any other advice people can give on this topic as far as supplies I should bring or any other recommendations is highly appreciated as it would make my trip go smoother and I'm sure make for a more enjoyable experience.

Brandon

I used to fly from NC to CO to shoot prairie dogs, and I always shipped my gear out ahead of time. That was pre 9/11, and I suspect flying now with any type of shooting gear is a hassle. And HPA is a greater airline risk than metallic cartridge ammo. I'm not sure how one goes about showing the TSA folks that everything is depressurized, but I can see it being frustrating. If I were within a couple days drive, that would be my choice.

I would check both the airlines and UPS to get an idea of how much it's going to cost to get all your equipment to Florida. it's not going to be cheap either way but there might be a significant difference in price. If shipping UPS, I recommend shipping the guns next day air. Yes, it will be more expensive but the guns won't be sent down conveyor belts between stops. They will be handled by hand. The won't be in transit as long so there will be less chance for damage. If you take the AG's on the plane, check them in as a FIREARM. This will do away with any confusion by TSA agents regarding airguns and not cause any delays for you. Whatever you do, you have to degas the guns and the tank. There's a chance UPS might check but the airlines will definitely check. Do your research so there won't be any delays during your trip. Good luck and have fun

Some recommendations on fitting guns in hard cases. Fit rifles with scope up towards handle so when it is dropped the scope is " up ". Fit rifle tightly in foam or add foam if needed. Use keyed locks, preferably the type that must stay in lock when unlocked. Do not use combination locks! In many cases it is better to use an oversize case. With bigger scopes width of the case is important. Take photos of rifles to be able to show damage, just in case. If you can dismount the action from stock and fit parts into a case that looks less like a " gun case" it would be better when exposed to indifferent baggage handlers. db

I have flown to the east coast. I mailed my tanks with no air. (My big tank from HPA, and my gun tanks and pellets) I just locket my gun case and checked it in. Not too many hassles. Just went as quickly as I could and was like hey I got an Airgun I need to check in haha. Didn’t want to walk around the check in area long with a rifle. I also added some extra padding around my gun just in case. 

PRINT OUT your airline's pertinent firearms regulations and carry that with you to educate everyone you'll deal with about what they should already know. Allow at least an extra hour per flight for processing your gun through authorities. Use an airline-approved locking gun case to protect your gun from baggage handlers bent on destruction, and use matching-keyed padlocks that fit the case. Even then, pack the gun inside the case as if it's nitro glycerin. If asked "Is that a firearm", say "yes"; lest you miss your flight... OR WORSE. Resist temptations to educate or (especially) debate authorities or airline employees; they are empowered humans.

I don't think you can ship, or fly on a commercial airline, with a pressurized vessel of ANY kind. So PCPs and tanks must be drained of all pressure.

I have flown regularly to national paintball events for the last 20 years. First as a player and currently a coach in pro division of the NXL.

Flying with compressed Air tanks, the regulator has to be removed from the bottle for inspection, no exceptions! Your air system will be confiscated and will be lost forever. Happen to me once, and I've known many players who have suffered the same fate. Paintball markers can be broken down to fit in a handgun case and can be with your checked in luggage without any declaration, unlike a firearm. Not sure how an airline will react to an air rifle, but if they see compressed air tanks, they will require the regulators be removed to insure the tanks are empty.

With that in mind, if your tanks are attached to your rifle, good bye rifle!

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the responses! I have not seen it mentioned yet however when transporting a compressor is there any breakdown required in order for this to be made acceptable to fly with? Nothing is pressurized when its off and all the pressure release valves are open and I can drain the oil too if needed but I didn't know if this is considered acceptable or if something else has to be done. Thanks again!

Brandon

I flew with two rifles from the Netherlands to the USA, Netherlands pain in ass, once I got to USA no problem. I did this in January 2021. I flew Delta Airlines. Honestly, once I was through USA Customs all went smoothly, no issues at all. My flight from Houston to SLC was silky smooth, get a good case as the others have suggested. IMHO if you flying with in CONUS flying with the gun is cheaper than UPS.

1) Obvious stuff depressurize guns.

2) Call the airline about a week in advance and notify them you are bringing the guns.

3) TSA allows you to pack the ammo with your checkin luggage 

4) I used a TSA approved combo lock, look on Amazon. You probably can break the lock with a toothpick, but it keeps honest people honest and has a key slot for TSA to open the lock even though it is a combination lock.

5) Put the scope in your carry on.

Additional baggage fee I think was $50 for domestic travel because I already had a check in, which I get free otherwise.

I want to do this hunt myself. Probably through lethal air. But I am not going to fly. I am going to make a trip out of it. I am going to hopefully do some hunting along the way in area's that I have always wanted to varmint hunt. Hit Whiskey distilleries in Texas, then the Kentucky Whiskey Trail, after that hit Florida for the hunt and then head back along the gulf coast, which I have never enjoyed. Better than flights and hassles. Figured I would do it on a two week vacation and 80MPH. ZFG

I keep mine in the gun boot on the wing. haven’t had any problems yet… But we don’t have to many iguanas to worry about up here…

E02CBA35-AFA0-4950-9B09-68BAA03755E3.1620452996.jpeg