Transporting Air Tank on private jet

The existing regulations are there for safety. The just in case scenarios.
I would ere on the side of caution, and just transport empty bottles.
An empty bottle is not under pressure to speak of, and therefore presents no inherent risk to the aircraft from explosion or implosion.
That is all I know. Not certain of particular regulations.
We flew private a few times down to Jamica for spearfishing.

Doc

Here's my thoughts. Empty the bottles, bring your adapter for filling and stop at a shop once you get there.
Happy hunting.
Doc
I've heard there is a dive shop on every corner, crowding out Starbucks. Refilling shouldn't be in issue, and...I'm sure your Iguana guide will have a fill source. I'm moderately sure you can't just walk around popping Iguanas.

If your company plane is like the ones I used to fly on occasionally they are leased from a separate firm or at least managed by that firm. If you can find out who it is you can just ask them if they have any requirements.

In terms of what is safe, it is wise to be careful I am confident you do not have to empty the tank to be as safe as you are on the ground. The issue is that if the plane were to depressurize and your tank is at 4500 then the stress is higher than it would be with normal ambient pressure on the tank. To do the math you need to know how high you will be flying and then look up the pressure at that level. For example, the pressure at 8000 meters, close to 25,000 ft, is about .35 bar. The normal stress on the tank is due to the difference between ambient pressure, 1 bar and the fill pressure, I assume 300 bar. If you drop the 1 bar to .35 bar, you need to drop the fill pressure to 299.65 bar to compensate. Then under a depressurization scenario the stress of the tank would not be higher than normal. For a higher altitude you would have to go lower on the fill pressure but nothing like zero pressure in the tank. AT 14,000 meters the pressure would be about .1 bar so you would need to fill no higher than 299. Stress just doesn't change that much from the tanks point of view.

The only other thing I can think of is just the possibility the tank could be handled roughly due to air turbulence or something. Probably better to drop the fill to 250 bar or something like that to play it safe. But I don't see a reason to reduce it to zero. But rules are rules and if the FAA or the firm managing the planes says it has to be empty then it has to be empty.

While there may not be specific regulations regarding the transport of pressurized tanks on private aircraft, it's always important to ensure that proper safety measures are taken. Additionally, you may want to check with the private jet charter company you're using to see if they have any specific guidelines or requirements for transporting such items. In terms of private jet charter, I came across this helpful guide to Miami private jet charter https://www.aerialjets.com/the-simple-guide-to-miami-private-jet-charter/. Overall, safety should always be a top priority when it comes to transporting any type of cargo on a private jet. By taking the necessary precautions and doing your research, you can ensure a smooth and stress-free journey.

Last edited:
Lol….I’m shocked most of us can even use these so so dangerous objects. I mean is it safe to stand anywhere near them when filling them or guns ? In your car when going to the range ? In your house ??

2020-01-23 17.23.05.gif

Lol….I’m shocked most of us can even use these so so dangerous objects. I mean is it safe to stand anywhere near them when filling them or guns ? In your car when going to the range ? In your house ??

View attachment 441113
I’m trying hard to stay panicked, but somebody enlighten me, what is so terribly dangerous about flying with an air tank? If I understand correctly the concern is that air pressures decrease at altitude and thus may overstress the tank because of greater pressure differential.

However at sea level the air pressure is around 14.7 pounds and at 10,000 ft that only reduces to around 10.7 pounds. Aircraft will keep the cabin pressure to around 8 to 9 thousand feet. Not that drastic a difference. I don’t know if the baggage compartment is pressurized but its a private plane just bring it with you in the cabin.

I can see where it would be unwise to have a tank at max pressure but with a reduced pressure, say 3000 pounds in a 45000 pound tank is there any real ACTUAL FACTUAL reason to believe that would be unsafe???🤷‍♂️

IMG_0200.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 3Crows