• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Trajectory Question

I need to re-do my range card. I thought I would get the closer distances out of the way while I'm still in the basement for the winter. I can get up to 20 yards. 

I have a shooting bench in my basement. I'd like to use it to really take me out of the equation and see what my clicks are at give ranges. My questions is, will shooting from the height of the bench (approx 3 feet) change the clicks I would use for a give distance between 10 and 20 yards as opposed to the sitting position?

I know the angle will be different. But will it be different enough to change the clicks? I know I could experiment, shoot both sitting and from the bench at the same distance and just see, but I'd like to know the "science" behing it, if there is any. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Chas

Chas,

I do the same thing, being somewhat stuck inside for the winter. Shouldn't make a difference, when you are sitting, the target is low as well. As long as you have the target elevated a little bit lower than your bench, it should be fine. I haven't seen a big difference, if any, maybe one or 2 clicks. What you need to be conscious of, is where your pellet apex is with given setup.

I've found if I change scopes, or rings that are supposedly the same, found out my 30 yard zero would be off. Not by a lot, again, just a few clicks. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Chas....FWIW.....I don’t bother with the physical process of manually shooting every distance. I get my zero (30y)....then shoot 10 and 55 and note the clicks. I then use ChairGun to get everything in between. You modify BC to alter the 55y clicks to agree with your own observation, and alter scope height to get the 10y to line up. Once the 10 and 55 agree with your own measured clicks at those yardages....everything ChairGun shoes in between will work.

Im usually shooting a different gun every match, so it would be a real time consuming process to manually obtain numbers every time. I don’t find that this is a compromise in any way. I can usually obtain my numbers in about 10 minutes and be certain of them.

Mike 

Reactions: JungleShooter
Chas....FWIW.....I don’t bother with the physical process of manually shooting every distance. I get my zero (30y)....then shoot 10 and 55 and note the clicks. I then use ChairGun to get everything in between. You modify BC to alter the 55y clicks to agree with your own observation, and alter scope height to get the 10y to line up. Once the 10 and 55 agree with your own measured clicks at those yardages....everything ChairGun shoes in between will work.

Im usually shooting a different gun every match, so it would be a real time consuming process to manually obtain numbers every time. I don’t find that this is a compromise in any way. I can usually obtain my numbers in about 10 minutes and be certain of them.

Mike

Mike, that is super helpful - thank you!!!

Yes indeed ... The way Mike does his WFTF CLICKING dope is just how I have been doing Hunter "Hold over" dope for years now.

Find your zero ( @ 26y for my .20 cal ) See where the 10y falls shot from cross hair C/L and simply invert to hold over, shoot the 50 or 55 doing the same.

Use what BC figure best suits what actually happening, accurate scope height plugging it into chairgun and more times than not your golden.

Tad bit of BC or height correction only happens occasionally.

Scott S