• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Traditional Air Rifle With Least Recoil

What type of air rifle has the least recoil, but still reasonably accurate?

Partially detached a retina a few years ago and gave up shoulder mounted firearms. Thus my introduction to the world of airguns

I have been very much enjoying shooting my HW springers, especially with iron and peep sights, but my mostly cured retina is now showing signs of a problem and my Doc said to quit doing that. My solution has been to buy a pistol, and I have a couple more on the way. With respect to rifles, I didn't listen to him, but instead tried shooting them with my head not touching the stock. Since I use artillery hold anyway, I didn't think it would be a problem. It works as far as not jarring my cheek at all, but I am not as good a shot and it is not as much fun with that type of hold, especially with peep sights, which are my favorite sighting system.

So, is there a non-pcp, fairly accurate rifle that has no recoil? My guess would be CO2 but I have no experience with that.

Can get this Daisy single stroke Match rifle in many configurations. Wood or Synthetic stock. Keep your peeps. Incredible accuracy.
1515E565-55DB-4595-9E15-49FFFFC3C55F.jpeg
2A15BE72-ED2C-4DAA-A4C5-C0D0FE4A2C76.jpeg

Maybe look at the camp refurb daisy single stroke pneumatic 853

Last gun bottom of page

Daisy 853, good read.

Reactions: sjs
Diana 54 recoilless I’ve owned mine since 2004, that and a Sheridan are the only traditional rifles I own. The 54 has taken countless pest and paper targets.

I bought a few Garands from CMP when I got out of the Army so I know they used to sell to vets but the 853 ad looks like it might be restricted to juniors. I'll give them a call.
Oh no you can get one mjb206 posted on his recently here or ask him on his experience with it ..

Here's a thread of his buy

Just minutes ago another happy customer

Last edited:
CO2 and single-stroke pneumatics are great recoilless choices - I'll leave to the details of current models to the more knowledgeable!

You didn't mention which HW models you have, but of course the HW 30 (R7) is a popular mild-mannered choice. My old one is incredibly smooth, especially with JSB 7.3 pellets (as an aside - you will find that pellet choice significantly affects felt recoil with springers).

Less power and more weight are always good for smoothing out a springer! Old 600 FPS target rifles like the Weihrauch HW 55, Walther LG 55 and LGV, etc. are technically recoiling models, but very calm to shoot; and are very accurate, mechanically simple, easy to maintain, reasonably light, and not hard to cock.

Going up to heavier - but also recoil-free - springers, consider the ever-green FWB 300S. The Diana "Giss system" double-piston rifles, models 60, 65, 66, and 75, are, if anything even more noticeably utterly recoilless.

Coming back around to CO2 / SSP, and again if you don't have an issue with something heavier, there are plenty of top quality and utterly recoilless old match rifles from FWB, Steyr, Walther, and Anschutz.

Last edited:
Pretty much all CO2, PCP, multipump or single pump airguns that shoot at 30 foot pounds or less have a trivial level of recoil. It's hard to give any meaningful comparison, but I suspect the impact to your retina is at least an order of magnitude less than running, jumping or other physical activities. It's certainly much less than even a low powered springer like an HW30.

The one exception to that are some of the firearm replicas like the Crosman DPMS that recoil due to movement of the action.

Reactions: MDriskill
ok , just shot this rifle , absolutely no recoil , shooting @ 16 yard target distance and 10 yard rifle .177 paper targets . 8 , 9 ,and 10 ring hits , 25 shots peep sights that came with the rifle . AND very quiet (inside an apartment quiet !)
https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Daisy-Used-Rifles.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Pretty much all CO2, PCP, multipump or single pump airguns that shoot at 30 foot pounds or less have a trivial level of recoil. It's hard to give any meaningful comparison, but I suspect the impact to your retina is at least an order of magnitude less than running, jumping or other physical activities. It's certainly much less than even a low powered springer like an HW30.

The one exception to that are some of the firearm replicas like the Crosman DPMS that recoil due to movement of the action.
personally i think this is a gross over statement . Most of my guns are tuned to 11 FPE at the muzzle and they all kick more than i would want with an eye injury like he has . A friend of mine has the same injury and he said my HW97 tuned @ 11.6 FPE kicks very much like a .22 standard velocity load .

Reactions: DesertSilver
All good choices. If you still want a springer and want serious power and accuracy the Diana 54 and 56 (if you can find one used) would work. Sled system when set properly means you feel almost zero recoil at the shoulder even running at full power. They’re heavy and a tad expensive. AoA had a used red laminate Airking Pro a day or two ago.

Reactions: longdog
personally i think this is a gross over statement . Most of my guns are tuned to 11 FPE at the muzzle and they all kick more than i would want with an eye injury like he has . A friend of mine has the same injury and he said my HW97 tuned @ 11.6 FPE kicks very much like a .22 standard velocity load .
An HW97 is a springer. That’s a totally different animal and exactly why I didn’t include springers on that list. A PCP/CO2 etc… with 30 fpe or less will kick much less than a .22 lr, which already kick very little.

Springers on the other hand have a noticeable kick to them.

An HW97 is a springer. That’s a totally different animal and exactly why I didn’t include springers on that list. A PCP/CO2 etc… with 30 fpe or less will kick much less than a .22 lr, which already kick very little.

Springers on the other hand have a noticeable kick to them.
sorry ,i was thinking of the OP's statement . Traditional rifles.