Total newb, what should I know?

Hello! I've just ordered my first air rifle, a surplus Daisy Avanti 853 from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. It's a .177 single-pump pneumatic made for target shooting, with a low max FPS (specs list it at 495). I want to shoot targets in my yard at 10 meters and also in the woods at longer distances. Not thinking of competing, but I will take it seriously, and will be keeping track of my groups over time. I've got experience with firearms, and I like to think I'm a decent shot, but this will be a new journey for me. I've got some specific questions and I'm also interested in hearing general advice for a beginning shooter.

First, I understand I'll have to shoot lots of different pellets to find what works best . . . but where do I even start? I've narrowed it down to wadcutters, but wouldn't heavier pellets (domes?) work better for longer distances. I'm thinking out to 50 meters (and beyond? is that a thing?). 

Second, what do I need to do to maintain this gun? Can I just follow the manual, or are there other customs I should know? Are cleaning pellets any good, or do I need a rod/patch system? 

Third, should I put a scope on this rifle? It comes with diopter sights, which I'm excited about trying, but I like the instant feedback of seeing projectiles hit paper.

Finally, general advice? What do you wish you had known when you started out? 

Thanks so much!

If you are total new I’d just buy some pellets at Walmart and see how they do. That gun is really best suited to indoor use at 10 meters Putting a scope on it may be challenging . I’d shoot in as is and not be concerned about cleaning it .

At 500 FTS it’s not likely going to shoot to 50 meters or be of much value for hunting beyond short distances.

I think of it as a starting point and good for what it’s designed for 10 meter paper punching. 

This air gun stuff is addictive and you will be buying more. If you want longer range and hunting plinking potential I’d suggest buying a nice springer . Maybe a HW 97 or 30 if the 97 is too large for you 

you also want to watch the classifieds because used guns come up and can get you going with out terrible expense 

welcome and best luck. 

Hey man welcome to agn. You came to the right place for airgun advice. That gun you purchased is a very accurate gun but really it is designed specifically for short range. At 10m it will be a lazer. You can stretch its legs plinking to longer distances but 50m seems way beyond its capabilities. First 495 fps is likely to be faster than it will really shoot normal sized pellets. What you want to do is try wadcutters like rws hobby and jsb target pellets. Now it will shoot domes but the speed will be slower as most domes are 7.9g or higher. If it were me I would shoot from 10m to 20m and I would use pellets designed for 10m competition. When you get better and want to shoot longer distance and possibly hunt then get a pcp that shoots normal sized pellets at 700 fps and higher. The gun you chose is a single pump pneumatic so it will have no recoil and act like a pcp. You can use all the skills you have learned from the daisy and apply them to any pcp. If you have any questions please pm me anytime. Long story short tho is that gun is really underpowered for long range but it is a very accurate and excellent target rifle. Really a perfect backyard plinker and a great fit for 10m competition. 

There are lots of guns that can do 50m that are not pcp's as well btw. I just prefer the pneumatic type airguns for thier accuracy and ease of use. Spring powered airguns have recoil and need the use of "artillery hold" to shoot consistent groups. There are a few recoiless options such as the diana 56 or umarex throttle or umarex octane. The reason I mention this is that pcp's need a fill source and that can be as cheap as a 40 dollar hand pump to 5000 dollar compressors. Again feel free to pm me and I can chat with ya about options and capabilities of different types of airguns. 

If you are total new I’d just buy some pellets at Walmart and see how they do. That gun is really best suited to indoor use at 10 meters Putting a scope on it may be challenging . I’d shoot in as is and not be concerned about cleaning it .

At 500 FTS it’s not likely going to shoot to 50 meters or be of much value for hunting beyond short distances.

I think of it as a starting point and good for what it’s designed for 10 meter paper punching. 

This air gun stuff is addictive and you will be buying more. If you want longer range and hunting plinking potential I’d suggest buying a nice springer . Maybe a HW 97 or 30 if the 97 is too large for you 

you also want to watch the classifieds because used guns come up and can get you going with out terrible expense 

welcome and best luck. 

Airguns are like potato chips, no one can have just one!

I've owned quite a few airguns in my time. And no single one in .177 has ever needed the barrel cleaned. I have a few 22 barrel with chokes that do require cleaning every once in a while. Just grab some daisy wad utters from Walmart and get to shooting (the daisy ones are very soft, and shoot well for me)

If your groups open up, your barrel likely needs cleaning. IF they ever do 

I have two of the CMP 853's. I put a scope on one for the heck of it and found out that it makes it a bit of a pain to load. The other one is wearing a red dot sight and is a perfect match for me. I never tried the diopter sight - knew it was not for me (eyes). As others have said, 50 meters is too far for this gun. I shoot mine at 11 yards indoors and at 20 yards outdoors. I have a resettable squirrel silhouette target at 20 yards that it is just powerful enough to operate with domed JSB 8.4's. Both of mine shoot the 8.4's at about 450fps. At 10 meters it will shoot just about any quality pellet well. Domed pellets are easier to load than wad cutters. If I put it on a bag it will put the JSB's thru the same hole at 11 yards pellet after pellet. As c_m_shooter said keep the foam wiper on the pump wet with Pellgun oil and you're set. I don't remember ever cleaning the barrel on mine. CMP replaces the seals in the Avanti's before they sell them so you should be good to go for a long time - that is until you get the new air gun itch. Lol.