• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Top of the Line Hunter FT Rifle and Optics

Kdog

your Thomas image link does not work

That's strange I can see it

Strange as it is I can't see it either? Picture is replaced by this?

1551582908_9037106515c7b46bc5b4e21.18873308_removed.png

Mike at Thomas rifles told me that if I choose a model with a 15 inch barrel, it can be quickly switched from rifle to pistol class legal by removing the tail from the rifle. Is a 15 inch barrel long enough to be truly competitive in the rifle classes? What length barrel is optimal for the Hunter and WFTA rifle classes? Is there much pistol class competition going on?

My FWB800 has a 16" barrel and one less inch isn't going to make a difference. Yes Pistol FT is popular, though you rarely shoot it like a pistol. It's more of a pifle sport resting the gun on your knee, taking offhand shots for one lane. It's also a way to stretch your shooting day/weekend with another event.

No need to worry about barrel length. I had an Air Arms TX200 Hunter Carbine and it was the most accurate Springer I've ever owned. It only had a 9.5 inch barrel and the standard TX200's have a 13 inch barrel.

For PCP's the benefits of a longer barrel enable you to get more power with a lower regulator setting and possibly a few more shots per fill. You won't have to worry about power as 20 foot pounds is the highest limit in FT.

I think most Thomas FT shooters go with the 15 inch barrel as it's way more balanced in the hands for FT. Mine has the 23 inch barrel and she's pretty nose heavy when shooting off hand.

If I was shooting FT competitively I would opt for the 15" barrel.

But I love mine just the way it is and doubt I would ever sell it! Most accurate airgun I've ever had bar none. When I'm out shooting my other guns on a windy day and not getting good groups, I always grab the Thomas for comparison and if it's not grouping superb, I know it's the wind instead of the other gun.

1551651066_1888756005c7c50fa4b18b8.70232831_2A6F8A25-1EDF-4E2B-9CFA-3832845F7866.jpeg
 I managed a win in open class at the 2016 FT Nationals using a 15” barrel. Jim Stanis and I had a shootout for first. Jim was also shooting a 15” Thomas .

Greg Sauve won the 2017 FT Nationals WFTF division with a 15” barreled Thomas. I took 2nd also with a 15” barrel.

Greg won again in 2018...still using a 15” Thomas. I didn’t shoot last year due to a torn ligament in my knee...but I think there were 7 other Thomas’ in the top 10...most of which were 15” barrels.

Here’s a pic of Greg’s rifle.

The 15” barrel shoots quite well....and you are not leaving anything on the table.

Mike 

Jimmy is right on about the balance. You can get an 18” barrel gun to balance like the 15” if mill away some stock material in the front of the gun. Some guys go that way to get a little higher shot count. The 15” barrel will get about 75-80 shots at 20 fpe...and 150 or so at 12fpe. An 18” gun will get another 25% more.

Mike 

Jimmy is right on about the balance. You can get an 18” barrel gun to balance like the 15” if mill away some stock material in the front of the gun. Some guys go that way to get a little higher shot count. The 15” barrel will get about 75-80 shots at 20 fpe...and 150 or so at 12fpe. An 18” gun will get another 25% more.

Mike

Mike, my barrel measures 23.75 inches. I guess they call it a 24 inch barrel. Do many folks request the longer barrels for benchrest?

Jimmy

Look at recent history in Hunter class ...

2017 AAFTA Nationals high overall score besting all other classes ( A Hunter class shooter BTW )  Shot a RAW TM-1000

2018 AAFTA Gran Prix "Hunter PCP" high score Shot with a RAW TM-1000

20" barrel and .20 caliber at that ... yea a .20

All the top iron in the game in the right hands can be a winner on any given day .... Steyr, Daystate, Air arms, Thomas or RAW.

Buying the best gear is only part of the puzzle, the rest is learning how to best play the game & use your iron of choice effectively.

Just sayin ...

I’m sure all the FT rifles outshoot me. However, I will be sharing the rifle with a former army sniper who has a 1.6 km confirmed kill. It’s not much money for me either way, but I expect the Thomas will have excellent resale value and quick resale if it comes to that. I’ve already made the deposit. Now I will go start another thread for FT pistol optics recommendations. Wish us luck!

If money doesn’t matter, then I would go for the IOR Recon or the IOR Crusader. I have a lot of scopes, but non of them can match those, and they are my absolute favorites. 

If money matter, a bit, I would consider the Athlon Cronus. 

All this scopes have Ffp-reticle, and even though the Crusader goes to 40 mag the reticle do not get in the way - so to say. 

I already ordered the Sightron with the MOA-H reticle. But I will keep your advice in mind. I would certainly prefer FFP. Somebody mentioned March scopes on another site but no particulars. Is there a particular model of March that I might should look at?

Optics planet had the Sightron but there was a Q and A where someone asked if it had the 16X mark and the “Expert Answer” was no. I wrote Sightron and asked because the MOH-A reticle is new for 2019, and I thought all the new ones should have the 16x mark. Sightron said that it should have the 16x mark and, if not, I can send it to them to have it engraved on at no cost.