Top 6 shooters used Altaros slug at the S.P.A.W Slug-athon competition

Congratulations to all top competitor on the great results and especially to Bill Squillance on the top score of 246 points 👏
The message to other shooters is clear, if you want to win, you know what slugs to use, especially if it's windy🌬️

Our most used slugs in competition are for .22 caliber ATP King 40gr
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 9.48.03 AM.png

For .25 caliber they are ATP Smooth 50gr and ATP Queen 60gr

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to all top competitor on the great results and especially to Bill Squillance on the top score of 246 points 👏
The message to other shooters is clear, if you want to win, you know what slugs to use, especially if it's windy🌬️

Our most used slugs in competition are for .22 caliber ATP King 40gr
View attachment 429090

For .25 caliber they are ATP Smooth 50gr and ATP Queen 60gr
May I congratulate you on your success, but may I ask a question.
Your first slug test packs, which I purchased, tested, frustrated myself with and tried at all speeds the same as what you sell now?
I'm talking about the .22 packs delivered to Bulgaria.

It's simple. the test pack contained sizes 5.48, 5.49 and 5.50mm, if the small sizes were used for the wrong barrel, they could never work. at the same time, they could not work if an FX barrel with an inappropriate twist, for example 1:24, was used.
The normal aigun twist standard has been 1:17.7 for decades. Only later after the test pack, FX started as standard doing twist 1:18, 1:16 etc on superior heavy barrel.

The use of unsuitable slug diameters for the FX barrel and an unsuitable twist from the FX barrel was the reason why we no longer offered the test package.

Reactions: JamesD.
It's simple. the test pack contained sizes 5.48, 5.49 and 5.50mm, if the small sizes were used for the wrong barrel, they could never work. at the same time, they could not work if an FX barrel with an inappropriate twist, for example 1:24, was used.
The normal aigun twist standard has been 1:17.7 for decades. Only later after the test pack, FX started as standard doing twist 1:18, 1:16 etc on superior heavy barrel.

The use of unsuitable slug diameters for the FX barrel and an unsuitable twist from the FX barrel was the reason why we no longer offered the test package.
I've never tried Altaros in a FX, don't own one.

LW and 1:16 and 1:17.7 twist are what I have tried the test pack with.

Not sure what your reply really meant.

Perhaps I'm thicker than I thought.

My friend uses the 5.52mm 40 grain with his Panthera and has astounding accuracy! He is in 2nd place behind me nationally in NRL22! I am thinking about making the switch...
Congrats on the National NRL-22 Airgun division ranking!
If you go to the .22 Altaros 40 grain, don’t shoot them too fast. 900 fps is ideal with those. I’m sure your buddy already knows that. The 0.21 G1 BC is just so much better than anything else on the market.

I've never tried Altaros in a FX, don't own one.

LW and 1:16 and 1:17.7 twist are what I have tried the test pack with.

Not sure what your reply really meant.

Perhaps I'm thicker than I thought.
Then something must have been wrong.
Using the size of only 5.48mm without testing other diameters (which I would find strange), but LW barrels have an inner diameter of +- 0.02mm, so it was possible to hit a large barrel with 5.48mm even on LW.
The second possibility is too little or too much muzzle velocity.
The third possibility is a poorly made barrel or charging mechanism of the rifle, when the slugs were damaged when inserted into the rifle (for example, one-sided asymmetric pushing into the barrel grooves) and thus lost stability in flight.
I can't think of other options, because we tested a lot on the LW barrel and it never happened that they didn't work.

Of course, this is based on suitable tests. If I take a rifle, and I don't clean the barrel, and it's still a barrel without a choke, and I expect that 10-20 shots must be accurate, so it will never meet with reality.
After cleaning the LW barrel without a choke, the barrel takes even 50 shots in a row (without a test of a different size) before it runs, while the first shots can have a diameter of 10 cm (C-C)! So that after 50 shots they shrink to a few mm at 36m. If he hadn't experienced this, I wouldn't believe it myself.
With a choke it is better in that there is not such a gaping difference for the first few shots, but still count on 30-50 shots for full accuracy, while in addition to accuracy the muzzle velocity also changes, which can also fully stabilize after 100 shots (depends on barrel and whether slug lubrication is used or not)

Then something must have been wrong.
Using the size of only 5.48mm without testing other diameters (which I would find strange), but LW barrels have an inner diameter of +- 0.02mm, so it was possible to hit a large barrel with 5.48mm even on LW.
The second possibility is too little or too much muzzle velocity.
The third possibility is a poorly made barrel or charging mechanism of the rifle, when the slugs were damaged when inserted into the rifle (for example, one-sided asymmetric pushing into the barrel grooves) and thus lost stability in flight.
I can't think of other options, because we tested a lot on the LW barrel and it never happened that they didn't work.

Of course, this is based on suitable tests. If I take a rifle, and I don't clean the barrel, and it's still a barrel without a choke, and I expect that 10-20 shots must be accurate, so it will never meet with reality.
After cleaning the LW barrel without a choke, the barrel takes even 50 shots in a row (without a test of a different size) before it runs, while the first shots can have a diameter of 10 cm (C-C)! So that after 50 shots they shrink to a few mm at 36m. If he hadn't experienced this, I wouldn't believe it myself.
With a choke it is better in that there is not such a gaping difference for the first few shots, but still count on 30-50 shots for full accuracy, while in addition to accuracy the muzzle velocity also changes, which can also fully stabilize after 100 shots (depends on barrel and whether slug lubrication is used or not)
Ok, perhaps I didn't have enough Altaros for full tests. Barrels are always cleaned before testing anything.

For now, let's stick with a RTI, 1:16 LW barrel. 600mm in length. Currently set at 65 joules with JSB knockout at 282 ms. .217

I can up the power, what Altaros slug would you recommend?

I'm genuinely wanting a successful Altaros slug...... For me.

Thanks Gary

Ok, perhaps I didn't have enough Altaros for full tests. Barrels are always cleaned before testing anything.

For now, let's stick with a RTI, 1:16 LW barrel. 600mm in length. Currently set at 65 joules with JSB knockout at 282 ms. .217

I can up the power, what Altaros slug would you recommend?

I'm genuinely wanting a successful Altaros slug...... For me.

Thanks Gary
for 65 joules, classic ATP .22 would be suitable . Since you are using 0.217, then the 5.52mm version should be dimensionally suitable.
ATP King would be probably quite heavy for 65J and you probably wouldn't get them into the magazine either, as they are 11.4mm long.
As far as I know, RTI has a barrel made by LW according to their specifications, so this may also be the reason for the non-functional slugs from the test set, where the largest diameter was only 5.50mm.

Is the 25 cal .254 available stateside?
We only have the .254 in the type for Huben. Not sure of availability at individual US distributors right now. You can normally order from our e-shop.

for 65 joules, classic ATP .22 would be suitable . Since you are using 0.217, then the 5.52mm version should be dimensionally suitable.
ATP King would be probably quite heavy for 65J and you probably wouldn't get them into the magazine either, as they are 11.4mm long.
As far as I know, RTI has a barrel made by LW according to their specifications, so this may also be the reason for the non-functional slugs from the test set, where the largest diameter was only 5.50mm.

We only have the .254 in the type for Huben. Not sure of availability at individual US distributors right now. You can normally order from our e-shop.
Excellent, thanks 👍

If I take a rifle, and I don't clean the barrel, and it's still a barrel without a choke, and I expect that 10-20 shots must be accurate, so it will never meet with reality.
After cleaning the LW barrel without a choke, the barrel takes even 50 shots in a row (without a test of a different size) before it runs, while the first shots can have a diameter of 10 cm (C-C)!
That sounds interesting. Would never think about that. More would await this with choked to "fill up" the choke with lead.
But RTI has slightly choked barrels, couldnt be the problem this one? Have you tested your slugs in choked barrels also? How the choke is affecting the results on different choked barrels?

Another thing, what diameter would you recommend to Dynamic .25 (as good i know with STX Slug liner) from ATP Queen? Or have you tryied that liner with your ammo? What would be your recommendation to get best accuracy. I have heard the ATP Smooth is not performing in that rifle as well as the Queen.

That sounds interesting. Would never think about that. More would await this with choked to "fill up" the choke with lead.

But RTI has slightly choked barrels, couldnt be the problem this one? Have you tested your slugs in choked barrels also? How the choke is affecting the results on different choked barrels?

Another thing, what diameter would you recommend to Dynamic .25 (as good i know with STX Slug liner) from ATP Queen? Or have you tryied that liner with your ammo? What would be your recommendation to get best accuracy. I have heard the ATP Smooth is not performing in that rifle as well as the Queen.
In my .25 Panthera 600mm (Superior Heavy liner that came with the gun) the ATP Smooth 49.5 grain is very accurate out to 300 yards, shooting at 885 fps. Don't know about the Queen but Altaros posts on their web site that the Queens shoot best when you use the 6.36mm version and not the standard 6.35mm version in FX Slug liners.... For me, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze increasing the power to shoot the Queens, since my shot count would decrease to under 15 which is unacceptable for PRS or NRL-22 shooting...

Unfortunately, there is no magic formula or rule. The only reasonable thing is to perform a proper test (the procedure described above) with more types of slugs or dimensions.
ATP Queen with 2 pcs of FX barrel worked better for me in size 6.36mm, that's why we have them written like this, but considering that LW produces their barrel with a specified tolerance of +- 0.02mm, I have no illusions that those tolerances won't exist with FX.
So it is always better to order both packages and test which size works correctly if you want to look for absolute accuracy.
For example, both ATP King 5.52mm and 5.50mm worked well for me in the FX barrel in .22. The 5.50mm is probably a bit better. But if you have an FX barrel where the tolerance is on the upper dimension, then the 5.50mm can also fly out without a twist and will whistle and be extremely inaccurate.

The most accurate slug is one that is exactly 0.01mm larger than what is needed to properly hold in the grooves. The problem is that this is right in the middle of stability, so the certainty is better to be 0.02-0.03mm from this limit, when the difference between the ideal ones can really only be recognized by a very experienced shooter during many tests

Do you have any videos showing your small CNC machines churning out slugs? It would be interesting to see your process. I would understand if you don't want to show -- proprietary information, etc.
Considering how other manufacturers copy ideas that we don't have patented, I will do everything to ensure that such a video never appears publicly, or better, that it never by made.
5 years of development and hundreds or smaller thousands of hours of gradual fine-tuning to be where we are now and to be able to offer an affordable variant of CNC slugs with maximum quality.

If anyone thinks that our slugs are expensive, then the only one to compare them to is these CNC bullets for .22LR. And they make them with regular CNC technology, not with a special machine, because you can't go to companies that make CNC machines and say " I want one CNC for turing lead with an ideal accuracy of +- 2 microns "
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/curx-42gr-22lr-bundle-200ct (price 111 USD for 200 pcs)