• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX TOOLS? FX CROWN RESEAL TOOLS ?

Thanks.
Unfortunately, Cape Fear is out of stock on 1 of the tools (Valve Install Tool) , and Id like to combine all 3 tools into 1 purchase if possible.

Airgun Al,
Since you are going to be doing a complete reseal on your Crown might I suggest looking at the Sub12Airgunners You Tube channel. I have found it to be the best source of "How to" info on airguns out there. They are primarily working on the European spec sub 12FPE rifles, but they point out where the differences are with the higer power FAC (same as US) versions. Below is their video on Disassembly of the Crown. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Greg

Reactions: Airgun Al
Airgun Al,
Since you are going to be doing a complete reseal on your Crown might I suggest looking at the Sub12Airgunners You Tube channel. I have found it to be the best source of "How to" info on airguns out there. They are primarily working on the European spec sub 12FPE rifles, but they point out where the differences are with the higer power FAC (same as US) versions. Below is their video on Disassembly of the Crown. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Greg
Thanks Greg.
I intend on doing a few simple mods, while Im already inside resealing the Crown, to gain a little more power.
Again, its a Mark 1 Crown and not the Mark 2.

I intend on installing:

1. Ernest Rowe/Cape Fear Airguns Crown titanium valve seat (6.3mm rather than 5.5mm).
2. Huma Regulator
3. Huma High Flow Pellet Probes (.30 and .25)
3. , Huma High Flow Transfer ports on each of my .30 and .25 barrels.
4. Complete new seal kit.

I expect that with these simple additions, the Crown Mark 1 will then push the heavy JSB 50.1 grain pellets, almost as fast as a Mark 2 Crown.
This should then allow me to lower the Huma regulator pressure down to a more suitable and accurate speed.
Ultimately, Id like to see the modified Mark 1 shooting the .30 caliber 50.1 grain JSB's, at about 860 or 880 FPS, and then tune down the regulator according to accuracy.
A aftermarket/heavier hammer is yet another option, but Im not wanting to shoot slugs,.... just heavy 50.1 grain jsb pellets.
Maybe I am over-estimating, and being too optimistic with my expectations???
Time will tell.
Thanks for your video link.

Thanks Greg.
I intend on doing a few simple mods, while Im already inside resealing the Crown, to gain a little more power.
Again, its a Mark 1 Crown and not the Mark 2.

I intend on installing:

1. Ernest Rowe/Cape Fear Airguns Crown titanium valve seat (6.3mm rather than 5.5mm).
2. Huma Regulator
3. Huma High Flow Pellet Probes (.30 and .25)
3. , Huma High Flow Transfer ports on each of my .30 and .25 barrels.
4. Complete new seal kit.

I expect that with these simple additions, the Crown Mark 1 will then push the heavy JSB 50.1 grain pellets, almost as fast as a Mark 2 Crown.
This should then allow me to lower the Huma regulator pressure down to a more suitable and accurate speed.
Ultimately, Id like to see the modified Mark 1 shooting the .30 caliber 50.1 grain JSB's, at about 860 or 880 FPS, and then tune down the regulator according to accuracy.
A aftermarket/heavier hammer is yet another option, but Im not wanting to shoot slugs,.... just heavy 50.1 grain jsb pellets.
Maybe I am over-estimating, and being too optimistic with my expectations???
Time will tell.
Thanks for your video link.
Hi Again,
The disadvantage that the Crown has compared to the MKII is a smaller plenum. What was actually done for the MkII was they used a larger drill to take out more of the aluminum block for the plenum, something like a 30% increase.
I don't know what you have purchased so far, but have you thought about getting a MkII bare block? I think Bagnal and Kirkwood in the UK sells them for under $400. I don't know what all the upgrades cost, so it is just another possible route to your goal.
Have fun with your adventures! I love my two Crowns and have become pretty proficient at tearing then down and doing all the neat little tweaks that the Sub12Airgunner guys like to do.
Cheers,
Greg

PS - Just check B&K website - 293 pounds sterling

PSS - Ooops - just saw the no export line - oh well.

Last edited:
Hi Again,
The disadvantage that the Crown has compared to the MKII is a smaller plenum. What was actually done for the MkII was they used a larger drill to take out more of the aluminum block for the plenum, something like a 30% increase.
I don't know what you have purchased so far, but have you thought about getting a MkII bare block? I think Bagnal and Kirkwood in the UK sells them for under $400. I don't know what all the upgrades cost, so it is just another possible route to your goal.
Have fun with your adventures! I love my two Crowns and have become pretty proficient at tearing then down and doing all the neat little tweaks that the Sub12Airgunner guys like to do.
Cheers,
Greg

PS - Just check B&K website - 293 pounds sterling

PSS - Ooops - just saw the no export line - oh well.
Thanks for the info.
Not a slug shooter, so I think the Mk. 1 will be plenty for my personal needs.
I believe the Mark 1 block will be fine for my pellet needs.
I look inside the Mark 1 block, and Im not sure how FX could increase plenum size, by anything signifigant!
When FX says they increased the plenum size, I wonder if they are simply refering to the size of the plenum valve seat???
Again, Im not wanting to shoot slugs....just heavy 50 grain pellets.
Have you ever compared the Mk.1 vs. Mk.2 using the heavy 50.1 grain pellets from JSB?
I believe 840 to 850 fps will the ideal speed for that pellet, from a Crown, based on other peoples tunes for accuracy.
I also believe the Mark 1, with the mods I mentioned above, should easily surpass 850 fps with that particular pellet.
Im expecting that I will actually need to REDUCE the regulator, as a result.
Your thoughts?

I really don't have any experience trying to push any pellet or slug that is that heavy. You are talking about 80+FPE! I am also limited to about 70 yds in my backyard range (I would need to put on waders to go in the marsh to set targets any farther). I did go out on two winters ago when everything was frozen and set a pole with a 2 1/2 in spinner attached at 100 yds. I shot some 26gr Javelin slugs from my .22 Crown MkII with a 500mm barrel. Shot pretty well at 70 yds, but way more expensive than pellets. Had good luck with JSB RDM's at 50 and 60 yds out of the same setup. But the FX 18.1's shot the best from 30 to 60 yds with that setup. With a couple of shots to sort out wind I can consistently hit the 100 yd spinner with those. Pretty much shooting all those pellets between 860 and 900 fps.
As for the MkII plenum - the plenum plug on the MkII's is larger than on the MkI's because they drilled a bigger hole. A 1 mm increase in radius times the 38mm depth of the bigger part of the plenum easily give the 28% increase in volume.
The guy I bought my second Crown MkII from was shooting it as a .30 with a 380mm barrel. He had the reg at 160bar, the IHS and Power wheel maxed out and was using the tungsten hammer. I made the mistake of dry firing it to dump the plenum when I first got it and the hammer force smashed up the end of the valve pin and distorted the shape of the drilling the pin was in. The result was that the valve wouldn't close. Even a replacement valve wouldn't work. Had to have the valve pin hole redrilled.
I wish you the best in your efforts and hope you will report back here as you progress. It will be interesting and enlightening.
Cheers,
Greg

Be sure to use quality set of Allen wrench, German, Japan or USA orgin preferred. This is especially important for sizes 2mm and smaller! I know someone who used harbor freight Allen wrench and it didn’t end well and cost far more than a good set of Allen wrench.

Other than that and a set of fine dental picks from amazon you are good to go. Crown is quite easy to work on, plenty of videos to walk you through step by step.

Also, don’t overlook the dreaded internal reg o-ring, should be good and petrified after 7-8 years. May the regulator gods smile upon your endeavor!

They are not hard but need good magnifying glass and small dental picks. Since you are in there, upgrade the piston to brass one or order the rebuild kit which comes with it and just drop in the whole thing in 2 minutes tops.

Be sure to use quality set of Allen wrench, German, Japan or USA orgin preferred. This is especially important for sizes 2mm and smaller! I know someone who used harbor freight Allen wrench and it didn’t end well and cost far more than a good set of Allen wrench.

Other than that and a set of fine dental picks from amazon you are good to go. Crown is quite easy to work on, plenty of videos to walk you through step by step.
All except that damn internal O ring in the regulator . . . . . a nightmare!

All except that damn internal O ring in the regulator . . . . . a nightmare!

It is not easy but Amazon dental picks with jewelry glasses made short work of them, just did this 3 weeks ago.
1711817677173.png